How would you fix the Thunder?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure what the contracts look like for clubs next year but CA should introduce something similar to what the NBA had a few years back where you could void one contract out of the salary cap. Also think the whole competition would be better served by auction like the IPL. I don't think we have enough money for players to move. I mean look at the Stars, if you're say Hastings or McKay who probably are not on a heap at the Stars would you move away from home for the 2 and a bit months of BBL for say 100k as opposed to 80k? Probably not.

Would head-hunt somebody else to lead, don't rate Hussey as a captain.
Got to agree with this. He made some very strange bowling decisions this season. Lost that ODI series in NZ when he was stand in captain a few years back and never took the reigns of the Australian side again. Cant even remember if he's ever captained WA in a match.

Thunder should get talking to Katich. He'll be taking on that development role with GWS this season and while he's said he wants to play the BB next season he hasnt spoken to GWS about that. They probably wont be happy with him moving to the other side of the country during the off season, but they might let him play for the team in their backyard.

Callum Ferguson looks on the outs at the Strikers, would go after him to bat at three.

Get an international in to open with Khawaja, followed by Ferguson, Hussey and Morgan (if he's available to return) and you have a pretty good batting lineup. Would need to pick up a couple of local bowling options to help out though.

Callum Ferguson looks on the outs at the Strikers, would go after him to bat at three.

Get an international in to open with Khawaja, followed by Ferguson, Hussey and Morgan (if he's available to return) and you have a pretty good batting lineup. Would need to pick up a couple of local bowling options to help out though.
Wouldn't Quiney be an adequate opening partner? Then go after an international allrounder or keeper (Prior?)

IMO the biggest problem is their inconsistent bowling, Nannes & Sandhu are worth keeping, and Ajantha Mendis if he isn't on SL duties, but they should be looking for better strike options than Feldman, Coyte, Floros etc.

I think a keeper/batsman to open - maybe McCullum?

Beer and Ferguson would be my first two calls, plus at least one more impact paceman.

I think a keeper/batsman to open - maybe McCullum?

Beer and Ferguson would be my first two calls, plus at least one more impact paceman.
Would be tough because that's in the middle of NZ's season and he's their captain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Find a hard nosed leader of men who will take no s**t and demand respect - (Simon Katich - now working for GWS - Sydney based makes sense to allow him to prolong his career by playing locally).
Ensure you have a first rate or developing all rounder (Sean Abbott)
One genuine quick (Nannes subject to fitness)
One developing bowler (Sandhu)
One quality top order bat (Khawaja)
One quality middle order player (Ferguson)
Quality Spinner - preferably a wrist spinner - ??
One genuine slower ball exponent - ??
One explosive bat - Travis Burt
Versatile keeper batsman - retain Carters
One psychotic caner - Nathan Reardon or Craig Simmons mould - (they are out there)
Mix and match the best talented kids sitting outside the system - having done some solid scouting on them - ie. Muirhead and the like.

I know they are committed to Mike Hussey but I would be going after Katich big time.

Pay all their salary to a charismatic superstar to draw crowds and be a matchwinner, someone like a Gayle or Hussey type.
He's a lot better than most of the spuds that have worn the lime green.

But in response to the OP:

Recruit Chris Rogers. Will come dirt cheap.
Get a decent recruit from England that isn't good enough to play internationals. They play a shitload of one day and T20 cricket.
Find someone that can hit the ball hard. Kevin O'Brien or someone like that. Guys like that can win you games themselves.
they had chris rogers in bbl 2 & they got rid of him

Liam Davis would be a very astute signing to open. Good limited overs player.

Beer the other obvious big target from the West. Should stick with Tye.
I imagine Perth will retain Davis to replace Katich. He was injured this season which is why he didnt play any games, and Simmonds was brought in last minute to replace him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back