How young is too young

Remove this Banner Ad

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
My young fella is 6 and has been asking to train with me for a while now.
Now I know he is too young to do any weight training but what about body weight stuff ie push ups pull ups etc?
With him only being 6 I don't wanna discourage him by saying he's too young but I don't want it to have any adverse affects later on?
So is 6 too young to get him started?

So going on the doctors reply any bodybuilding exercise is detrimental to growth... Although short of a crystal ball how can anyone say that if Joe didn't train as a kid he would be 6' instead of 5'8?.

So after doing a bit of research on the interwebz it seems that any form of strenuous exercise will bring on premature epiphyseal closure which is what halts the growth... From what I can gather until they hit puberty kids should just stick with playing and once puberty starts high rep low weight exercise

*Most* kids that age generally don't have the mental fortitude to push themselves beyond their limits at that age anyway, but I agree with what's been said, preferably sports that focus on having fun and encourage further exercise and activity are always a good start, footy - cardio etc.
Gets them to sleep easier at night too. :D :thumbsu:

So after doing a bit of research on the interwebz it seems that any form of strenuous exercise will bring on premature epiphyseal closure which is what halts the growth... From what I can gather until they hit puberty kids should just stick with playing and once puberty starts high rep low weight exercise

the body doesn't know what specific exercise you do, only the amount of stress it applies

Jesus, 6 is way too young. Just give him a few fun exercises or tasks to do with no stress on the body, he is 6 all he just wants is to be like his dad and do things with him. I'm sure you can be creative and come up with some things to do while you're working out. You shouldn't be worried about discouraging him from weight training or not, let him make up his own mind about that when he is old enough. Saying you're too young isn't going to turn someone off something anyway

Just make him his own barbell/dumbbells out of a plastic cricket stump and some golf buggy wheels or something.

Then he can copy Dad without stressing his body. You might even get a head start on teaching him proper form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any sources on the above? Interested; I might one day question the age to train my kids.

I'm a sports scientist, and I remember it being discussed at uni. One or some of my lecturers would be my source, but I do not have a link to any study or source.

Training too hard too young can effect his growth plates so you run the risk of creating a jockey, which can have its positives!
Having said that many kids from a young age do gymnastics, cheerleading most nights for hours which is fairly stressing to the body, especially concidering most of them wouldn't be educated in recovery techniques n diets to lesson the stressors.

He can imitate your training with body weight exercises n using tennis balls, broom sticks etc as weights substitutes.

Keep researching to you find a happy medium.

I'm a sports scientist also, so I have done quite a bit of reading up on this over the years. A child of ANY age can safely train in a gym environment... so long as they are mature enough to listen properly, and are properly supervised. Those factors are both age independent.

Due to a lack of circulating androgenic and anabolic hormones pre-puberty, you are highly unlikely to see any major gains in muscle growth, however you should see gains in strength, neuromuscular coordination, and also body composition... all of which are of benefit to the child for general health (as well as sporting performance).

Myths about weight training causing stunted growth and the like are totally untrue. Pretty sure I recall that the only recorded cases of this occurring from a gym setting were the result of fractures through the epiphyseal plates as a result of accidents through lack of supervision. Also look at it this way... a kid bowling ball in cricket/doing long jump/stopping in netball is likely to experience momentary loads of 5-10x their bodyweight through certain joints, which is far greater than the external loads they will be able to apply in a gym setting anyway (plus it is more controlled).

Your child should be fine... but if you want more information Google 'Dr Avery Faigenbaum'. He is probably the foremost researcher in the field.

My young fella is 6 and has been asking to train with me for a while now.
Now I know he is too young to do any weight training but what about body weight stuff ie push ups pull ups etc?
With him only being 6 I don't wanna discourage him by saying he's too young but I don't want it to have any adverse affects later on?
So is 6 too young to get him started?
I'm 14 and wondering if I could start weight training I'm very tall (187 cm) and want to keep growing

Cliffs from the lecture we had on this topic at uni this semester:

- current findings indicate a low risk of injury in children and adolescents who follow age-appropriate training guidelines

- injuries related to resistance training in adolescents nearly always result from poor form and/or overly aggressive load progression

- plyometric training found to enhance movement biomechanics and decrease sports-related injuries in young trainees

- old case reports from the 70s and 80s noting damage to epiphyseal plates all involved poorly designed programs. No injury to growth plates has been reported in any studies involving adherence to current guidelines

- pre-adolescents have been shown to significantly increase strength with resistance training (this age group is often used in studies to separate the results of resistance training from natural strength increases that occur during puberty). Neurological factors account for nearly all increases in strength in this age group, with hypertrophic factors playing very little part, or none at all

- As most strength and performance gains are due to improved motor coordination and neural involvement, training should be heavily focused on technique

- Intensity should never exceed 6RM. Recommendations are to begin with 10-15 rep sets to develop proper technique, then over time gradually progress to heavier loads of 6-10RM on larger muscle groups if that suits training goals

- Approximately 12 sets per session recommended

I'm 14 and wondering if I could start weight training I'm very tall (187 cm) and want to keep growing

just fyi you are that tall at that age you need to be incredibly careful with your knees and back. You might be that tall but your bones and joints have most likely not set yet. I was taller than you at that age (above 99th percentile) and it can be a problem.

FWIW if you are that tall i'd lay off weights until you have stopped growing (probably 16-17). Just content yourself with eating enough for a small army on a daily basis.

When I read this topic heading the first time I cringed. Some people get so set in their way of thinking that any new idea serves only to inflame their preconceived notions. Sort of like fools who believe NRL players cant make it in the NFL.. So I thought I wont add to the thread as it will end up in an argument with some righteous, uninformed meathead, and a pack of dogs will follow. But as its turned out, it isn't the Lions or NFL thread.. Some good points have been made.
'Sports scientist' BABYBOMBERS2007 Seems to have edited his post. Winds of change..

However, mfcrox Nailed it, restoring some credibility in the 'sports sciences'.

My interest in child strength training began a few months ago after reading a story of an Uncle who trained his (deceased? Brother or sisters boy) from an early age. The child has become a college gridiron star. The child began weight training at 5yo or something..

As i was interested in the background of the story, my 1st action was to research possible damage to a child's growth plates, cartilages etc. Nearly all the research was done by American Doctors, medical facilities, etc. There are a LOT of parents in America looking for that sporting edge to get their kids better education in Unis etc, and has driven the research into all sorts of studies of training methods and amounts of training kids can do safely. Plenty of reading for the uninformed and layman, 'sports scientists' out there.

As mentioned, mfcrox Nailed it. Weight training for kids is fine if it is light weights and high reps. If a child cant rep a weight and hold his or her form for 15 reps the weight is too heavy. The argument that a child should lift no more than their body weight falls over simply on the chin up bar. A 45kg kid shouldn't be continuously attempting reps of his body weight. Though He may build up to that using a counter weighted chin up machine.

What I believe is the most compelling advantage for kids weight training in the age groups recommended (7-12) is through the huge increased neuro muscular connections that humans at that age have the last opportunity to achieve. Most children at that age are pre-pubescent, and as such have no testosterone. However strength gains (up to 70% have been recorded) through increased neuro muscular connections. That is, the brain creates more connections with the muscles, which as an added advantage, gives the brain better control of the muscles! This only happens before puberty. (7-12yo) Before testosterone takes over strength growth.

During and after puberty, testosterone is the main driver of strength and the opportunity for better brain/muscle coordination during the pre-pubescent period is significantly diminished. And as mfcrox mentioned, although there are significant strength gains for the child, bulk is not increased. (although some Boys begin puberty as young as 11, at which time the opportunity for huge neuro/muscle connections is mostly lost)

* 1st. the child must WANT TO DO IT! Weights are hard work. Don't push it. If the child only goes to please you, it is not the right reason. It must be fun.
* IMO 'free weights' are logically going to have greater benefit for neuro muscular connections as more stabilising muscles are being used.
* Plyometrics should be incorporated especially for legs and core. Im not a fan of weight training legs, well programmed plyometrics will do give a much better outcome. And are more fun. For those not aware of plyometrics, they are 'explosive' training exercises. Watch some youtube vids. Plyometrics were Developed by a Russian sports scientist I believe.
* Any time a child feels pain instead of burn, stop the activity immediately, even if its a weight the child lifts regularly. Move on to a different muscle group.
* Core strength is great. But in football we use 'explosive core', model some workouts on that. (plenty of stuff on YouTube)
* You are not the best coach or trainer. But you are your child's best researcher. Do your research but make sure a GOOD gym instructor teaches the child the best technique for form.
Not all gyms will allow young children to use a gym. Some will ask you to pay personal trainers fee. Some will ask only for you to supervise your child at all times. I chose the latter, but always ask questions of form, technique etc. The answers are part of his education, and benefit. Don't be afraid to ask.
* Some machines will be too big for the younger kids. Ask for free weight training and some plyometric routines.
* Warm up before beginning weight/strength exercise. We use rowing machine then some 'loosening' exercises. 1st reps of 15-20 will be minimum weight and not maxed out. (don't go to fail till appropriately warm)
* Remember kids are still learning about exercise and fitness. Even the difference between pain and burn may need to be explained.
* usually do plyometrics last when muscles are fatigued. Plyometrics aimed at shoulder, knee and ankle stabilising muscles are a good idea, and aimed at injury prevention.
* Stretch at sessions end.
* Plyometrics build (or connect muscles to brain 7-12 yo) fast twitch muscles. Fast twitch muscles can convert to slow twitch. But the reverse cant happen (slow to fast). Suggest research..

Lastly, brain/muscle connections are extremely important for footy athletes. Juggling is one of the best exercises to promote them. Its no accident Gary Ablett is an extremely capable juggler.

Last edited:
The was some guys on sen a few weeks back who said its all nonsense about stunting growth and it's beneficial to weight lift from about 4 onwards. They run weight lifting classes for kid but I don't know where or anything.

My nephew who is 14 has been obese for several years now. He was 90 kilos. At Christmas he decided he was going to do something about his weight. He has been working out at the gym most days of the school holidays and has got his weight down to 72.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back