"Howard deserved to be shot" says LDP leader

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
David Leyonhjelm: Trouble shooter
http://www.smh.com.au/national/david-leyonhjelm-trouble-shooter-20140623-3an2u.html
"All the people at [Sale that day] were the same as me," Leyonhjelm tells me, his light-blue eyes blazing. "Everyone of those people in that audience hated [Howard's] guts. Every one of them would have agreed he deserved to be shot. But not one of them would have shot him. Not one." He found it offensive, he adds, that Howard "genuinely thought he couldn't tell the difference between people who use guns for criminal purposes, and people like me". What personally outraged Leyonhjelm was having to surrender much of his private collection, at first rifles and later some pistols, when the bans were extended. "I had lots of semi-automatic rifles," he says. "I had an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, the AR-15, the FN FAL, a Rasheed semi-auto and a Norinco ... I had to relinquish them all.”

Prior to the compulsory federal buyback, he'd kept the cherished weapons in his attic and "every now and then I would take them out and pat them ... It was a big thing not being allowed to have them any more. It was no solace to know I was getting paid money [to hand them back]. It was an insult. There I was, being presumed to be unsafe because some nutter had got himself hold of a semi-auto in Tasmania.”

http://www.smh.com.au/national/david-leyonhjelm-trouble-shooter-20140623-3an2u.html

Anyone else slightly worried that this gun nut is going to have some power in the Senate and that Abbott might do deals with him? I may not like John Howard much but I love the gun laws he brought in back in 1996. It has arguably saved hundreds of lives and makes Australia a much safer place to live.

Anyone else slightly worried that this gun nut is going to have some power in the Senate and that Abbott might do deals with him? I may not like John Howard much but I love the gun laws he brought in back in 1996. It has arguably saved hundreds of lives and makes Australia a much safer place to live.
Yes. Me.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's much I disliked about Howard, but he should always be held in high regard in regards to what he did for gun control in this country.

I dont particularly like any politician, But we dont want the US style of dispute resolution coming here. Writing a few comments on interwebby sites & voting is about as nasty as we need to get in this country.

We dont want Middle east style nutcase Islamic Politics & Violence in this country, likewise we also dont want U.S. style nutcase Christian Politics & Violence either.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics

I think this is the kind of bullshit he is refering too. Because no arguments, that is what that kind of statement is.

His point is that it punished the law abiding people who had done nothing wrong in the slightest and treated them like and turned them into criminals if they did not agree with this facist policy.

But let's be honest, you only care about peoples individaul rights when its with something you agree with, like Gay marriage and pot smokers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
How did the change in laws fuel that?

Well gee, lemme see...

Maybe if you wanted a certain kind of gun which previously you could purchase with a licence and now you could not becuase of a facist law you then went to other sources who could supply you with such weapons.

I know of two people who have guns on the banned list who obtained them from O/S. Instead of those guns being registered with a known owner they are now part of the massive cache of weapons which if used in a crime cannot be tied to anyone through official channels.

So in these cases if the guns now are stolen unlike previously where they would report the theft now they will say nothing because the Government decided to turn law abiding gun users and their guns into criminals.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well gee, lemme see...

Maybe if you wanted a certain kind of gun which previously you could purchase with a licence and now you could not becuase of a facist law you then went to other sources who could supply you with such weapons.

I know of two people who have guns on the banned list who obtained them from O/S. Instead of those guns being registered with a known owner they are now part of the massive cache of weapons which if used in a crime cannot be tied to anyone through official channels.

So in these cases if the guns now are stolen unlike previously where they would report the theft now they will say nothing because the Government decided to turn law abiding gun users and their guns into criminals.
So people weren't buying guns online prior to 1996 because these laws didn't exist?

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
So people weren't buying guns online prior to 1996 because these laws didn't exist?

They were buying these guns legally in this country. They were registering them with the relevant government bodies. They were storing them in the required way.

With the introduction of these gun laws they could no longer do this so they then bought them from sources who could provide them too them.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think this is the kind of bullshit he is refering too. Because no arguments, that is what that kind of statement is.

His point is that it punished the law abiding people who had done nothing wrong in the slightest and treated them like and turned them into criminals if they did not agree with this facist policy.

But let's be honest, you only care about peoples individaul rights when its with something you agree with, like Gay marriage and pot smokers.

I didn't realise that gay marriage and pot smoking killed people. Martin Bryant would have been a lot less dangerous if he had access to a lot of pot instead of a lot of guns.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I didn't realise that gay marriage and pot smoking killed people. Martin Bryant would have been a lot less dangerous if he had access to a lot of pot instead of a lot of guns.

You know the argument pot smokers use about how legalizing it takes out the criminal element? Yeah, same thing with guns to a large degree.

Anti-gun bed wetters are so clueless as to the amount of "illegal" guns that are out there. The only people that originally handed them in were people who didnt care about the guns they had and could get easy cash for them.

There's more guns available now on the black market than there ever was when pre-anti gun laws came to be.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Except you are forgetting that a lot of crimes such as a husband shooting his wife or something like that happen with legal guns. Also please explain why Australia's gun death rate per capita is so much lower than it is in the USA?

Oh please. The VAST majority of spousal crimes are done with the influence of alcohol.

Admit it, if you were really concerned about things which cause society huge amounts of issues regarding violence and death you'd be calling for the same kind of bans on alcohol as you seem to support with guns. I mean if that's your major concern make it so that only lite alcohol can be sold. That's what the gun bans equate to.

Australia's death rate by guns has nothing do do with the gun bans. It's to do with culture. We dont have the same history as they do. We dont have wars of independence, we dont have civil wars, we dont have wars with the indigenous cultures. We dont have a colonial history of hunting to survive like they do. We dont have african american ghettos. Our history is nothing like theirs, that is why we dont have the same gun death rate.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Per 100,000 people
USA - 3.6 homicides
Australia - 0.13 homicides

So essentially you are fine with our gun homicide rate going up 27 times because it means you are free to own as many guns as you want. Clearly innocent victims mean nothing to you.

Right now we have around 30 gun related homicides a year. With the same laws as the USA we would have closer to 800 deaths.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Per 100,000 people
USA - 3.6 homicides
Australia - 0.13 homicides

So essentially you are fine with our gun homicide rate going up 27 times because it means you are free to own as many guns as you want. Clearly innocent victims mean nothing to you.

Right now we have around 30 gun related homicides a year. With the same laws as the USA we would have closer to 800 deaths.

Sorry, where did you get that utter bullshit from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back