DOB: 24/08/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons

354926-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Draft Trumps

Pick Me

2014 Highlights

More Links:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/meet-hugh-goddard
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...132337376?nk=4db385cdbdcaa61cc1c9993fd79a542d
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...not-talking-about-brendon-20140408-zqsex.html

Knightmare said:
11. Hugh Goddard (VIC – KPD/KPF)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 24/08/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Draft range: 6-20
Best position/role: Centre Half Back
Strengths:
Versatility – Goddard has demonstrated that he can play both back and forward well. As a key defender Goddard has demonstrated that he can significantly limit the impact of his direct opponent and at times provide rebound through taking numerous intercept marks and providing run and carry or using it well by foot when he gets his hands on it.As a forward he has shown that he can hit the scoreboard consistently and be an effective mark on the lead, in the air, 1v1 and take the occasional pack mark.
Strength and athleticism – Goddard is well built at 93kg already and has clearly put the time in through the gym and as a result in the contest he is very hard to beat 1v1 and often in the 1v1 contest takes the intercept mark. He also has an excellent mix of pace, agility and has an excellent leap which suggests that he has the ability as a key defender to become an effective shutdown player.
Ability to read the flight – Goddard shows excellent ability to read the flight of the ball both as a forward and when played down back. Down back particularly this has been something he has been able to take advantage of where he has shown excellent ability to take frequent intercept marks and marks 1v1.
Shutdown ability – Goddard is an excellent shutdown defender and can greatly limit the influence of his direct opponent and there is a feeling that he has them under control with his ability physically to match his opponents 1v1 but then also the closing speed to go with them on the lead, the motor to go with them up the ground and the leap to go with them in the air.
Aggression – Goddard plays a hard brand of footy. He attacks the footy in the air, will tackle you into the ground with real intent and put his body on the line and go when it is his turn to go.
Leadership and work ethic – From everything I understand Goddard is a hard trainer and works hard to develop his game and puts the time and effort into the gym to build up his body. He also has visibly demonstrated strong leadership ability on the field giving instruction to his team mates and the ability to lead by example.
Long kick – Goddard has a 55m kick on him and is a mostly reliable kick to his targets by foot. He has relatively good vision and typically finds good targets coming out of the back half. Also is capable converting from his set shots attempts.
Weaknesses:
Ground level ability – Goddard at ground level can at times be fumbly and is not as clean as he needs to be. He just lacks that bit of co-ordination below the knees and that cleanness with his pickups, not taking the ball as fluently as he needs to. Also when the ball hits the deck Goddard often is slow to react, just struggling to read and react to the bounce of the ball which greatly limits him as a forward, in the back half Goddard also seems slow to react when the ball goes to ground.
Lack of point of difference when playing forward – Goddard while effective on the lead, capable in the air and able to take marks 1v1 and the occasional pack grab in the front half lacks he just lacks that feeling that he will have a big game as someone who can consistently kick two or three goals but never more than that. He lacks that dominant marking ability or freakish or even good ground level ability to be a go to forward or provide that heavy scoreboard impact but he could be a plausible second option up forward as more a leading forward if required.
What I expect will improve:
I expect Goddard to incrementally continue to improve from year to year and continue to get better both as a shutdown player and a rebounder.
Who he can become?
As a key defender Goddard has the ability to become develop into something similar to Eric Mackenzie as someone who can both beat his direct opponent and at times when the opportunity is there take an intercept mark and be involved as a rebounder.
As a forward Goddard’s play reminds me of Sam Day as that tall, athletic type who lacks that point of difference.
When will he be ready to play?
Goddard will likely start to push for senior games in season three but more likely takes till season four to establish himself as a part of a best team.
How to best utilise him?
Goddard is best utilised at centre half back.
Interpretation of his numbers:
Goddard particularly through the U18 championships struggled to perform to his 2013 standards to achieve his usual numbers and I imagine his offseason hip surgery played a big part in his largely poor start to 2014. As a key forward particularly through the U18 championships Goddard struggled to have his usual scoreboard impact but when played back both through the U18 championships and particularly late season through the TAC Cup he not only looked settled but he got involved in the play taking excellent contested and uncontested marking numbers by position while also limiting the impact of his direct opponent.

That's handy! Goddard and McCartin, if you told me that would be our draft 12 or so months ago, I would have laughed it into the bank.

STRENGTHS:
Versatility: Goddard is more than capable of playing down back, as well as kicking the odd goal up forward. He’s at his best in defence, where he shadows tall forwards and consistently shuts them down. Hugh takes his defensive ability forward, where he harasses the ball carrier and applies notable forward pressure.

Marking: In terms of marking ability, Hugh Goddard is a very strong mark, a one-grab player above the shoulders and on the lead he can easily create space to take a mark. Personally, I see his marking being a bigger tool down back, where he is able to out-wrestle and out-position forwards and take strong intercept marks.

Athleticism: One of Hugh Goddard’s biggest weapons as both a forward and a defender is his athleticism. He runs a sub 3 second 20m sprint (2.98 at the Draft Combine) and often uses this athleticism to chase down forwards making a lead or to present himself. He’s quite agile and is a strong player.

WEAKNESSES:
Inconsistent Kicking: While kicking is often considered one of Goddard’s strengths, for a player that quite regularly attacks from the back-line, his kicking is inconsistent and at times directly leads to opposition scores. He is still a better kick than the majority of key defenders at any level, but for a player that takes risks with his kicks, there’s great room for improvement.

Inconsistency up Forward: While he made his name as a junior up forward, Hugh Goddard has struggled as the target man of late. Goddard does not seem to have the game smarts or goal sense of a traditional key forward. To add to his struggles, Hugh has an awkward set shot routine and has just seemed much more comfortable down back. He can kick an occasional goal or two, but will not take over games like other key forwards. His leading patterns need to be developed.

May 16, 2013... Just sayin'...

Can't start my own threads yet... Resorted to returning to SS and posted this:

Any chance of getting him if we don't finish dead last? Would the super-tank be worth it?

HUGH Goddard....

FALCONS_RIGHT_IMAGE_I0335647_203069.JPG

From 2012/2013 AIS intake information:

From Geelong Addy:

Under 18 watchers: Is he worth taking with our first pick in 2014? Been a lot of chat about him lately, all positive. Huge raps on him. Would it be so if he had a different last name?

Listed at 195cm and 92kgs now via the Geelong Falcons. Great size, particularly as he's not of draft able age yet...

So close to what could have been the extraordinary result of Laverde and Goddard, but bloody hell it's awesome to get Goddard, who I really rate. Apparently had a hip operation last offseason, so probably didn't play to his best this year as a result. Fully fit and in form he can seriously play and is the type I reckon will be ready to play KPD by the age of 20 or 21 and can definitely play forward as well.

Josh Bruce just got very nervous!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love it. Great drafting again. Hope all mids next year now weve stacked on talls.

Great steal. Goddard looks a beauty

Billings
Dunstan
Arces
Templeton
McCartin
Goddard
McKenzie
Lonie

That's not to Bad is it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back