Delisted Hugh Goddard

Will be interesting to see who gets the most opportunities in their first yr.
Paddy is obviously rated higher but there is a bit more development into becoming an AFL full fwd.
Goddard if played back gets the luxury of just following his man to get into the play and learn his craft. He's also tall enough to drop back and fill holes taking defensive marks in the same way McEvoy did for us.
Wouldnt surprise me to see Him make more of an impression in his first yr than Paddy.
Mind you if Paddy comes out and kicks 3 or 4 goals in one of his early games i'll probably pee my pants in excitement :p

One of the "cons" of Goddard seems to be inconsistency or going missing during games. This suggests he may be in and out of the team, so I guess a lot depends on how well players like Gilbert and Roberton are tracking. If they are both at their best Goddard may struggle this year.

One of the "cons" of Goddard seems to be inconsistency or going missing during games. This suggests he may be in and out of the team, so I guess a lot depends on how well players like Gilbert and Roberton are tracking. If they are both at their best Goddard may struggle this year.

They're different players. Should have that issue at CHB. The other con was he never really dominated games compared to other talls

Think Goddard will develop into a ' real' swingman, able to play back or fwd. So i think he is a chance for a few games.
As opposed to Gilbert who despite all the talk IMO isnt a real swingman cos he cant kick well enough to be a fwd. Interesting yr for Robbo. Took a backward step didnt he. And unfortunately Gilbos foot may be a big problem next yr.
Get Goddard super fit and get him mobile and the kid could be a real hard match up.
I agree with what you say . It will be interesting to see how those 3 go next yr.

They're different players. Should have that issue at CHB. The other con was he never really dominated games compared to other talls
My boy has NO cons.

OK, I've just wacked 10 grand on him to win the Browlow. I'll be after you if it doesn't happen.:D
image.jpg

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Goddard:

As a forward in the U18 Champs: Avg 57 Champion Data ranking points per game, 7.3 disp and 2.7 marks - all below average for a key forward.

As a key defender in the U18 Champs: Averaged an elite 93 CD points, 5 spoils and 2.7 intercept marks and ranked above average for disposals. Lost 3 of 13 defensive 1v1 contests.

Huddo's write up on Hughy after the shellacking by Port Melbourne...
Hugh Goddard

Hugh beat his first opponent and then we moved him onto another more dangerous forward and he beat him too. He looked strong in the contest and worked hard and had good intensity. Hugh will be a good player for a long time.

The sooner he is in our backline with Delaney and Fisher the better, IMHO.
FB: Webster - Delaney - Dempster
HB: Fisher - Goddard - Savage
IC: Geary Wright...

Yum. Add a fit Gilbo in there for good measure pls!
Sadly, nearing 29 and having played only 15 games in over two years, I think Gilbo is a longshot for the foreseeable future.

Huddo's VFL review after the Northern Blues loss...

Hugh Goddard
Hugh started slowly and Matthew Watson got off him a couple of times. But as the game wore on he got better and better, tightening up and holding Levi Casboult really well. He didn’t get out-marked and had a solid game.

Is already a good player, and well on the way to be an absolute gun.

Named in the Bests in Sandy's win over Casey.

Gave away over 10cm in height and 15kg in weight to big Max Gawn, and height, weight and over 150 games of AFL experience to Mark Jamar, but was rarely outmarked and conceded only a single goal.

Never beaten in a contest. Manic.

Huddo's review after the good win over Casey...

Hugh Goddard

Hugh is really building his game and beating each opponent that comes to him. He loves the physical contact and wrestling with his direct opponent. He also used the ball well coming out of defence.

Back