Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

adambrown

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Leader written all over him, very impressive young man and will be the general of our back line for many years

Yeah I'd have Newnes up above this year's draftees. Billings also has a really good approach.
Not sure about Billings as a future leader just yet.
Dont get me wrong im not knocking the kid. I think he is going to be a great player:thumbsu:
But he seems to have a bit of a young Robert Harvey type personality. A bit shy and awkward in interviews. No doubt he will get better but i think it will take a bit of time.
Some of you will remember what Harves was like when he started. The poor bloke couldnt string 3 words together because of nerves for the first few yrs:p.
But Harvey of course went on to be such an inspirational player that he's lack of the' gift of the gab ' didnt really matter.
For some reason Newnes sticks out as a bit of a leader for me.
A part of the Saints journey i love, is watching young kids like Billings develop into future key players .You get to see them grow up from raw kids to game hardend finals players.

I'm drawing on what I learnt about Billings from the mid-year dinner. Yes he seems a bit shy and over-awed at the moment, but a few other players said he never shuts up during training, always asking questions and trying to improve.

He's not an obvious choice but I reckon he's got it in him.

I'm drawing on what I learnt about Billings from the mid-year dinner. Yes he seems a bit shy and over-awed at the moment, but a few other players said he never shuts up during training, always asking questions and trying to improve.

He's not an obvious choice but I reckon he's got it in him.
Thats good to hear:thumbsu::thumbsu: sounds like a quality kid.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Nah my leadership group for 2016 would be
Joey - last year in the leadership group
Reiwoldt - last year in leadership group
Armitage
Geary
Dunstan
Newnes

This looks pretty good. I would give Gears and Armo dual captaincy for 2 years and then give it to Dunstan when he is ready.

Nah my leadership group for 2016 would be
Joey - last year in the leadership group
Reiwoldt - last year in leadership group
Armitage
Geary
Dunstan
Newnes

My post was more a highlight of the quality of character we have brought in over the last 2 years, not an actual prediction of the captaincy.

Newnes and longer have both co-skippered their champs teams.
You wouldnt pick that with Longer would you. Seems more the goofy, lovable larrikin type .
Love the way he has a dip in the centre though.
Not too bad at taking the piss outta opposition goofy looking blokes either is he
866061-dab6d878-0f46-11e4-ae81-95568c4ed36e.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheLastEmperor

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Apparently we had intel that Goddard may slide to our second pick and did a bit of work pre draft on him so it wasn't unexpected that he fell to our selection. Also, Lamb was our backup and we would've pulled the trigger on him if Goddard was taken before our selection. Reading into it, we were keen to add a couple of quality bigger guys (McCartin, Goddard or Lamb) along with some outside speed (Lonie and McKenzie). I recall AR stating that was our objective leading into the draft (KPP's and outside speed). Successful draft!

Apparently we had intel that Goddard may slide to our second pick and did a bit of work pre draft on him so it wasn't unexpected that he fell to our selection. Also, Lamb was our backup and we would've pulled the trigger on him if Goddard was taken before our selection. Reading into it, we were keen to add a couple of quality bigger guys (McCartin, Goddard or Lamb) along with some outside speed (Lonie and McKenzie). I recall AR stating that was our objective leading into the draft (KPP's and outside speed). Successful draft!
you had me believing what you were saying up until then

You've obviously been informed by someone at the club or someone thats spoken to someone at the club that thats not the case?
i just trust our recruiters wouldn't get sucked into lamb. we have always targeted players who were good kicks (and good players) and lamb is putrid (when he does eventually get the ball) at field kicking.

i look forward to posters saying, is lamb injured or just not playing?

TheLastEmperor

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
i just trust our recruiters wouldn't get sucked into lamb. we have always targeted players (and good players) who were good kicks and lamb is putrid (when he does eventually get the ball) at field kicking

Well the same person who said we were keen on Lamb as the backup 'taller player' we were after also acknowledged the club had reservations about Lamb but more to do with the gap between his best and worst which is far too great and needs to be developed.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lamb was the back-up plan, as I believe he did actually do OK on the psych tests, so we were comfortable enough with that side of things. So much happier that we got Hugh though, so offense to Tom.

As for Lamb's kicking, I was actually really impressed with it in the champs game I'm watching from earlier in the year at the moment. He was hitting hard and low passes beautifully for someone his height and making them look very effortless.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
2016 five man Leadership Group

Captain - L.Dunstan
Snr VC - H.Goddard
VC - P.McCartin
David Armitage
Adam Treloar
Newnes will be the next Captain imo

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dewah, just because you don't like Lamb doesn't mean you need to disregard every post where Lamb is mentioned and say that he's crap. Trained with us earlier in the year in a scorching hot week so obviously the club knows him very well, and he has a family connection with his grandad Ian Cooper quite possibly best afield in our '66 win. It seemed the club did like him a fair bit and from media reports it was us, Carlton and Essendon in the late first round who were interested, so what TLE said DOES seem to have some substance to it, and I believe it too, we probably would've taken one of Lamb/Neal-Bullen along with McKenzie is Carlton didn't take Boekhorst, Goddard was just too good to pass up.

Well the same person who said we were keen on Lamb as the backup 'taller player' we were after also acknowledged the club had reservations about Lamb but more to do with the gap between his best and worst which is far too great and needs to be developed.

Lamb may be a 'taller player' as you say, but he doesn't play like it. Only 4 contested marks in 12 games and relies on handball receives when his teammates takes marks for him to get the ball.

TheLastEmperor

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Newnes will be the next Captain imo

Agree. My preference is for Roo to retain the captaincy until he retires which would give Newnes the opportunity to mature further and have two years in the leadership group growing as our next captain. If Newnes becomes the captain at the beginning of 2016 he will be near on 23 which is a good age. He's already showing great leadership being one of the more vocal guys at training and on the park, being a very popular guy amongst team mates and being one of the hardest trainers and fittest guys at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back