Analysis Hugh Goddard ~ Worth a look?

Remove this Banner Ad

HappyRed

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys,

Saw this article and wanted to see what everyone thoughts were on Hugh Goddard. He could be a sneaky ace in the draft pool. Goddard is a hard at it no non sense player, we could do with the like.

I'm not sure what pick or round he would be at, maybe someone could enlighten me?

What do you say boys? worth a look?

Article - > http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-19/goddard-not-just-a-name

352257-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Hey guys,

Saw this article and wanted to see what everyone thoughts were on Hugh Goddard. He could be a sneaky ace in the draft pool. Goddard is a hard at it no non sense player, we could do with the like.

I'm not sure what pick or round he would be at, maybe someone could enlighten me?

What do you say boys? worth a look?

Article - > http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-19/goddard-not-just-a-name

352257-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
I thought the same thing when I read it

I'm sure he he was being talked about as a top 3 selection at the start of the year and just a massive frame on the kid.

I've heard a few TAC cup boys when interviewed say he's the best defender in the comp.

I would be very excited by drafting Hugh Goddard. His highlights package highlighted a few things for me. His ability to read the ball and take an intercept mark has CHB written all over it and his athleticism is high quality. Most importantly he uses the ball very well, also being a left footer, which is needed coming out of the back half. And the top end KPP players are so valuable and having Moore and Goddard would bookend us for the next decade and more. Apart from Grundy we have drafted mainly mids with our top 20 draft picks the last couple of years. He also has a bit more height than Lever. Interestingly his season turned around when he moved to CHB. Before last season he was touted top 3 so the ability is there. Recruiters always look for what they can develop into and not just the season they had so I am sure Derek and Co would be well aware of how his season improved after his switch. Either way I will love whoever is called out at number 5. I try and not get my hopes up on a kid to find out he gets drafted to the Scum to then despise him.

Not at pick 5 thanks.

At pick 5 you are looking for the next Pendles, Cloke or even a Reid type, Goddard just doesn't scream "elite" in any category.

If we had a mid first round pick in the teens I wouldn't be against taking him, but not with pick 5, there's at least 7-8 better choices.

We already have 3 hard nosed no nonsense defenders, we don't need another one. We need more midfielders, I'd be very disappointed if we took him at 5 although I doubt it will ever given if we got tall one of Lever or Wright will be available and both look (from the limited footage I've seen), a class above Goddard.

We'll likely be in a tricky position with pick 5 and it will be interesting to see if the club goes for best available or looks to fill a need. I really want a midfielder tbh

He could be developed into something else though, i mean look at B. Goddard.. that man can play practically anywhere except Ruck. And he runs all day. He was a #1 Draft pick too.. Maybe he's a diamond in the rough? As I'm sure lots of you chaps know.. Being a high draft pick commonly doesn't mean s**t.. Some players go for awhile unnoticed for their potential. I would be perfectly happy if we picked him up. I know you don't exactly want a bloke specifically as a tagger, but would be a handy skill set on the side of being a KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think pick 5 is too high for him & will probably be gone at pick 30.
I've watched a few U/18 matches this year with Goddard matching up on Moore both defensively & offensively & I'd take Moore all day every day.

I wouldn't mind him if he can play immediately and be a third tall defender.

Ridiculously good talent, and probably the one with the greatest upside in this draft. Hes a freak athletically, excelling in almost every aspect if a footballer. Only reason why he dropped from a pick 1 candidate to a mid first rounder pick is his poor performance in champ/tac cup. However, he should be excused for this, as his school(top 2 private school in Victoria) is an extremely demanding school physically and mentally. His commitment to school work, leadership programs and charity events to a great extent distracted him from football

From what i've seen of him I haven't been impressed. 3 times I've seen him live and every time I go away thinking what are you? His turning circle on game day is quite large. He has the height and may have the speed in testing but on game day it isn't noticeable. I personally wouldn't take him with our needs this year.

Ridiculously good talent, and probably the one with the greatest upside in this draft. Hes a freak athletically, excelling in almost every aspect if a footballer. Only reason why he dropped from a pick 1 candidate to a mid first rounder pick is his poor performance in champ/tac cup. However, he should be excused for this, as his school(top 2 private school in Victoria) is an extremely demanding school physically and mentally. His commitment to school work, leadership programs and charity events to a great extent distracted him from football
It isn't /that/ much of an ordeal going to a top 2 private school... Particularly as they put a hell of a lot of emphasis on sport. I certainly hope it's not something he'd use as an excuse.

I think pick 5 is too high for him & will probably be gone at pick 30.
I've watched a few U/18 matches this year with Goddard matching up on Moore both defensively & offensively & I'd take Moore all day every day.

Most of the Time Moore beats Goddard Easily and Remember in the u-16 Champs Moore Destroyed Goddard.

Goddard is very interesting as start of the year was seen as Possible as Pick 1 Chance but now is seen as Mid 1st Round to Early 2nd Round Pick

W
It isn't /that/ much of an ordeal going to a top 2 private school... Particularly as they put a hell of a lot of emphasis on sport. I certainly hope it's not something he'd use as an excuse.
Well idk, school is quite draining. Brodie Grundy was considered to be fairly smart for a footballer despite only getting above 90 for atar. Godard could comfortably get in any course at any uni bar medicine and law at Melbourne uni despite football commitment

I'd be really surprised if we went for a KPD that early given we have two young AFL quality defenders in Frost and Keefe on the books already.

2 young defenders doesn't equate to depth. Given that it takes KPPs longer to develop I wouldn't be opposed if Derek went for a taller player

W
Well idk, school is quite draining. Brodie Grundy was considered to be fairly smart for a footballer despite only getting above 90 for atar. Godard could comfortably get in any course at any uni bar medicine and law at Melbourne uni despite football commitment

After this sentence, there's only one word to say about the school/footy scenario - Moore

Last edited:
2 young defenders doesn't equate to depth. Given that it takes KPPs longer to develop I wouldn't be opposed if Derek went for a taller player
Add Brown to that, and both Goldsack and Reid capable of playing a KPD role of required, and we actually have quite good KPD depth.

Agree with the taller player sentiment though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back