Port…….(title no longer non PC, as per management’s request)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've written a paper on the establishment of Australian Rules Football, the origins of the game lay in Victoria and funnily enough from combining rules from British rugby schools (but the Melbourne founders didn't want hacking like rugby due to injuries and no offsides as it ruined the running/exciting nature of the game) and soccer. It was a winter alternative for cricketers to remain fit. I can send a link to it if you're extremely bored.

Is there linkage to the indigenous game Wills would have observed as a boy?

There is certainly some and heavily shaped his thinking on the game and the free flowing nature of it.

This aspect has always intrigued me.

Without MarnGrook would we have the game today?

This aspect has always intrigued me.

Without MarnGrook would we have the game today?
Some elements, but I would argue that the early English rugby schools, especially Cambridge, had a greater influence.

Some elements, but I would argue that the early English rugby schools, especially Cambridge, had a greater influence.

Will get Forensics' to go over this thread with a fine toothed comb, am not sure you could work in Cambridge and ball humming and keep it relevant.

Just sending out a big howdy-hello to all my mates on the Poort board. I get the occasional like in this thread when things aren't quite going to plan.

Just thought us being on top of ladder would a tidy time to say gidday. Also would be remiss of me not to mention Poort's tardy start to season 2016.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back