Meet Up Hunt For A Suns Supporter's Venue

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Okay guys, I have an idea. Us Suns supporters living on the Gold Coast should find a venue in which we can all meet up and celebrate wins/watch away games. So here's my idea - first we find a list of places that could be suitable for our needs in this thread. Then we trial different venues until we find one we're all happy with. We can have a vote if necessary. Then we use that venue for pre/post match meet ups and away games. So let's kick it off with some suggestions...

Obviously being closer to the stadium would be ideal but unfortunately there isn't much around the stadium and I don't think a Golf Club will suit our needs. We probably also want a venue that is open relatively late on Fridays/Saturdays. I personally think it would be a bad idea to go near Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. Too many young drunk people looking to start a fight and our clothes will make us easy targets. That's just my opinion.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Great idea. Probably would help to run through some of the needs of said selected venue. What I think:
  • Big screens (preferably a venue that regularly shows AFL games)
  • Good location
  • Not a nightclub
  • Service of food
  • Service of alcohol
  • Easy to get to (public transport or car)
That's all I can think of for now. I agree with GC2015 that Surfers Paradise should be scratched from the list but I wouldn't rule out Broadbeach entirely. However, I think Southport would be the best location for this idea. Now you might think I'm talking about the Southport Sharks and that would definitely be a good venue but it isn't in a great location unfortunately. I'm talking about the area surrounding the Australia Fair Shopping Centre that the Gold Coast City Council plans to turn into a CBD. A lot of construction in that area is already under way so I think it'll be the place to be in the not too distant future. The idea is to get in now before it really start to take off. Also, does anyone know if the shuttle bus to Cavill Avenue after Suns games still goes to Australia Fair? It looks like it does here but I'm not sure if that is out of date.

The three venues that instantly pop into my head are Cecil Hotel, Courthouse Hotel and Southport RSL. So here is a little overview of the three venues:

Cecil Hotel
Open Hours: Mon-Sat 10am-2:30am, Sun 10am-12:30am

Courthouse Hotel
Open Hours: Mon-Thurs 11am-9pm, Fri 11am-late, Sat-Sun Closed

Southport RSL
Open Hours: Mon-Tue 10am-11pm, Wed-Thurs 10am-12am, Fri-Sat 10am-1am, Sun 10am-10pm

All three venues are along the tram line so public transport shouldn't be too big of an issue. The Courthouse Hotel would have been good due to it having a sports bar but being closed on Saturdays and Sundays is a deal breaker. Cecil Hotel is probably the most ideal of the three venues. Has anyone been to The Cecil before? Would they show AFL?

I know there are a few more bar/restaurants in that area but I can't think of their names.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I have a vague memory of being in the Envy Hotel in Broadbeach and reading that they play every Suns away game on level two in the sports bar. They had a big Suns logo and everything. I've never been on the upper levels, and have only had a beer on the ground floor, so I have no idea about the venue itself, but I thought it was cool that they were advertising the Suns away games on posters around the place. Perhaps someone has more info on this, or knows something more?

Although Broadbeach isn't the best place after 10pm or so, I wouldn't rule it out either because the games are usually done by the time the assholes come out to play. I'd scrap Surfers altogether though.

Its a shame Kurrawa Surf doesn't have big screens. Would be ideal.
I agree. Considering the Suns are there regularly, and train out of their sheds down the bottom, it wouldn't be a bad idea. But obviously, no big screens is a deal breaker.

The Broadbeach Tavern over the road is a pretty decent venue too. They do, however, have NRL flags and memorabilia everywhere... But when I was there last, the Friday before our Geelong game @ home, it was pretty full of AFL fans watching the Swans game, so it wouldn't surprise me if they 'swapped' codes sooner or later. There were very few people actually watching the NRL game, and they ended up changing channels on some of their NRL screens over to the AFL, with roughly 75% of their screens on AFL. Pretty cool.

I've heard that one of the bars at Jupiters plays AFL games, too.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
any chance away games could be shown on big screen at the ground? those inclined could go there? would need the club to allow parking, not buses...
they could even have open one bar and one food outlet.
members free entry upon showing the members card, any non-members a gold coin donation

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
any chance away games could be shown on big screen at the ground? those inclined could go there? would need the club to allow parking, not buses...
members free entry upon showing the members card, any non-members a gold coin donation
Wouldn't be a bad idea if it weren't for needing to attract a hell of a lot of people for it to be worth their time and money. I think it would be cool to drink at the Fifth Quarter bar while watching it on the big screen, but it is out of the way and likely wouldn't get very many people, unfortunately :(

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This has been discussed before and I think the Southport Sharks was the chosen venue, obviously nothing came of it, hopefully this try has better luck
I love the Southport Sharks as a venue but I just feel like it is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I would have thought people would rather be in an area that feels like a city. That's why I suggested the Australia Fair area of Southport because it's going to be turned into the CBD. Anything along Scarborough/Nerang Street would probably be ideal because it follows the tram line. I know people don't have a great opinion of Southport but it's slowly changing and getting better. Plus, they have already ruled out allowing any nightclubs, strip clubs or sex shops in that area and instead will push for bars and pubs so it should be relatively clean.

I'll ask this again, does anyone know if the shuttles from the game still go to Southport?

Last edited:

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I'll ask this again, does anyone know if the shuttles from the game still go to Southport?
Negative. Only to Surfers, Broadbeach, Nerang Station, and the Park n Ride.

I've never been, but isn't Southport Sharks only a 10 minute walk from the GCUH tram terminus? That wouldn't be too bad in the interim until a closer venue is found...

eighties

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There is a pretty new bar on Chevron Island that would be perfect for this I reckon... It has heaps of flat screen tvs and has a sports bar vibe ( might even be a sports bar). Serves cheap food, (burgers, steak sandwiches etc etc around $15) schooners around $4. Central location close to Surfers, Broadbeach etc. Cant for the life of me think of the name because I had a few too many when I was there. A few shops up from Fuel Bar. Does anyone know the name?

TARGETMAN

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2014
sunny gold coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
sydney roosters.
Okay guys, I have an idea. Us Suns supporters living on the Gold Coast should find a venue in which we can all meet up and celebrate wins/watch away games. So here's my idea - first we find a list of places that could be suitable for our needs in this thread. Then we trial different venues until we find one we're all happy with. We can have a vote if necessary. Then we use that venue for pre/post match meet ups and away games. So let's kick it off with some suggestions...

Obviously being closer to the stadium would be ideal but unfortunately there isn't much around the stadium and I don't think a Golf Club will suit our needs. We probably also want a venue that is open relatively late on Fridays/Saturdays. I personally think it would be a bad idea to go near Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. Too many young drunk people looking to start a fight and our clothes will make us easy targets. That's just my opinion.
don't ride off the Nerang rsl club. their spending big buck renoing the joint. it will have a lot of bells and whistles and they have a courtesy coach tooo. there and back b4 and after the game. gee I can taste the carlton draught now. ahhhh

This would be a good idea for finals I think.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Back