Hurley, Pears and Ryder Vs Goldstein, Hansen and Grima

Which Trio is better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pears doesn't even play anymore. So congrats on having better players than a guy in our twos I guess, you must be proud.

Goldy is better than Ryder and Pears has not come on as hoped. That is why the comment was made to bump in 3 year’s time. To see would turned out better. The Roos players have turned out better IMO and I am proud of how we have developed these 3 compared to the job essendon have done.

Can bump again in 2017 and see if there has been any changes.

Goldy is better than Ryder and Pears has not come on as hoped. That is why the comment was made to bump in 3 year’s time. To see would turned out better. The Roos players have turned out better IMO and I am proud of how we have developed these 3 compared to the job essendon have done.

Pears don't play, not because he is a spud, but because we now have even better players ahead of him. If you compared Hansen with our number 1 key back, Hooker, Hansen would get destroyed. Pears is a more than handy back up.

Fair enough, mate.

Pears don't play, not because he is a spud, but because we now have even better players ahead of him. If you compared Hansen with our number 1 key back, Hooker, Hansen would get destroyed. Pears is a more than handy back up.

Wait a second - this poll was started by an essendon poster as he clearly thought ryder, pears and hurly would be better. Now it has not turned out that way you want to change players??

Fair enough - lets compare your number 1 back - Hooker against our number 1 back Thompson. Hooker now gets destoyed. Changing players is fun but this poll stands as the players listed.

Wait a second - this poll was started by an essendon poster as he clearly thought ryder, pears and hurly would be better. Now it has not turned out that way you want to change players??

Fair enough - lets compare your number 1 back - Hooker against our number 1 back Thompson. Hooker now gets destoyed. Changing players is fun but this poll stands as the players listed.
Geez, Thompson is one of the most overrated player in the most overrated club in the league. He isn't even the best Scott Thompson in the AFL.

Geez, Thompson is one of the most overrated player in the most overrated club in the league. He isn't even the best Scott Thompson in the AFL.

Wow - he coming 5 in the coaches votes this year - equal with Pendlebury, was last years AA full back, had only 27 goals kicked on him in 2013 and won our B&F last year.

Your understanding of the game is putrid. And if you want over rated - there is an entire thread on it. Filled with Hurley but no mention of Thompson.

And here is the reverse Colman from last year.

Rutten - 21 Talia - 25
Jamison - 38
N Brown - 34
Carlisle - 40
Dawson - 31
Lonegan - 34
R Thompson - 45
Mohr - 40
S Thompson - 27
A Carlisle - 36
Rance - 37
Grundy 39 Richards 35
M Brown - 41
J Roughhead - 48

You should head straight to your delusional thread and insert your own post.

And here is the reverse Colman from last year.

Rutten - 21 Talia - 25
Jamison - 38
N Brown - 34
Carlisle - 40
Dawson - 31
Lonegan - 34
R Thompson - 45
Mohr - 40
S Thompson - 27
A Carlisle - 36
Rance - 37
Grundy 39 Richards 35
M Brown - 41
J Roughhead - 48

You should head straight to your delusional thread and insert your own post.
That reverse Coleman is stupid. The best defenders get the best forward each week, so they are going to concede goals. It's just gonna happen. Plus how do you work out who had the goal kicked on them? By who stood on the mark? Reverse Coleman is just another irrelevant stat. I don't really see how that can make one defender better than others. Do you really think Thompson is better than Tom Lonergan for example? Remember when Buddy slotted 13 on Thompson, yet he never plays well on Lonergan. Get real.

That reverse Coleman is stupid. The best defenders get the best forward each week, so they are going to concede goals. It's just gonna happen. Plus how do you work out who had the goal kicked on them? By who stood on the mark? Reverse Coleman is just another irrelevant stat. I don't really see how that can make one defender better than others. Do you really think Thompson is better than Tom Lonergan for example? Remember when Buddy slotted 13 on Thompson, yet he never plays well on Lonergan. Get real.

Thompson is in the best 3 defenders in the league and has claims for number 1 and is better than Lonergan - who is a gun. But put a poll up if you need confirmation.

Buddy did not kick 13 on Thompson - he had many opponents he destroyed that day - in an115 point win - Buddy would have kicked a bag on SOS or Scarlett that day. A team beaten by 115 points is not a great example.

Thompson has kept Buddy goalless the last 2 times he has played on him. I would have thought essendon supporters would have an appreciation of how good that is seeing as Buddy regularly destroys your backmen.

Thompson is in the best 3 defenders in the league and has claims for number 1 and is better than Lonergan - who is a gun. But put a poll up if you need confirmation.

Buddy did not kick 13 on Thompson - he had many opponents he destroyed that day - in an115 point win - Buddy would have kicked a bag on SOS or Scarlett that day. A team beaten by 115 points is not a great example.

Thompson has kept Buddy goalless the last 2 times he has played on him. I would have thought essendon supporters would have an appreciation of how good that is seeing as Buddy regularly destroys your backmen.
Of course Buddy didn't kick 13 on Thompson. If he Scott should have been sacked that night for not making the move. Thompson still wasn't able to stop Buddy, as he would have been Buddy's first opponent, so you had to try other defender, who also got hammered.

Of course Buddy didn't kick 13 on Thompson. If he Scott should have been sacked that night for not making the move. Thompson still wasn't able to stop Buddy, as he would have been Buddy's first opponent, so you had to try other defender, who also got hammered.

This is not a Thompson thread - start a poll or take it to the over rated listed. Buddy kicked 8 last year V essendon. Hooker your number 1 defender?

Hard to argue with the Roos being ahead on this one, don't know if you can pin it on development though.

Goldstein is ahead of Ryder but Goldy's not the player he could be if you could insert some aggression into him. He's the sort of ruckman who either doesn't understand how big he is or refuses to use his size. Ryder lacks application but is still worthy of a top 10-15 ruckman in the comp mantle and if he can get some consistency in his game he'll be right up near the pointy end.

Hurley's development has been stunted by playing him as a forward through necessity and injuries (particularly his wrists). I'd take him over Hansen but it's much closer than I might've thought 2-3 years ago. Hansen's had a bit of a clearer run at it of late fitness wise and they're playing very different roles. Hansen is also 2 years older and as such has been in the system 2 extra years. Think this one may continue to be a comparison that swings over time.

Grima's ahead of Pears by default. Tayte hasn't been the same since his foot & pancreas injuries and has really struggled for confidence and a consistent run in the side as players have gone past him. He's a bit of a tweener size wise as well, and our depth of small defenders hurts him in that regard (Hibberd, Dempsey, Baguley and young guys like Gleeson, Ashby, Dalgleish).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to argue with the Roos being ahead on this one, don't know if you can pin it on development though.

Goldstein is ahead of Ryder but Goldy's not the player he could be if you could insert some aggression into him. He's the sort of ruckman who either doesn't understand how big he is or refuses to use his size. Ryder lacks application but is still worthy of a top 10-15 ruckman in the comp mantle and if he can get some consistency in his game he'll be right up near the pointy end.

Hurley's development has been stunted by playing him as a forward through necessity and injuries (particularly his wrists). I'd take him over Hansen but it's much closer than I might've thought 2-3 years ago. Hansen's had a bit of a clearer run at it of late fitness wise and they're playing very different roles. Hansen is also 2 years older and as such has been in the system 2 extra years. Think this one may continue to be a comparison that swings over time.

Grima's ahead of Pears by default. Tayte hasn't been the same since his foot & pancreas injuries and has really struggled for confidence and a consistent run in the side as players have gone past him. He's a bit of a tweener size wise as well, and our depth of small defenders hurts him in that regard (Hibberd, Dempsey, Baguley and young guys like Gleeson, Ashby, Dalgleish).

Agree with this entire post but have Hansen and Hurley on par with Hurley having the potential to come over the top. Good post.

This is not a Thompson thread - start a poll or take it to the over rated listed. Buddy kicked 8 last year V essendon. Hooker your number 1 defender?
I don't fully remember but Buddy would probably have been on Carlisle. Anyway good idea. I will make a poll, just for interests sake.

weird poll, neither? I'd take goldstein and maybe ryder, the rest i wouldn't want the pies to go near

Back