Hutchings - First team material?

Remove this Banner Ad

Foggle

Debutant
Jul 12, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Do you guys think that Mark Hutchings should be in our best 22, or have you seen enough to know that he's not? I really don't know what I think of him. I've seen him do some nice things, but I've also seen some howlers from him. Would you like to see him kept on at the end of the season?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Especially Eagle87

Good depth player. Is hard at the ball and tackles well but makes bad decisions and quite fumbly. I think we've got the inside mid covered so Id prefer a player that can add a different dimension when coming in. Gaff has improved on his inside stuff and Priddis and Sheed are more than capable....not sure what else he brings. Looks like hes still getting used to the speed of the game after being out a while, will improve a little bit. Duggan/Cavka will be pushing him back a bit youd think next year....

Certainly not best 22 by any stretch of the imagination, but clearly ahead of most of the reserve mids atm. Has done some decent tagging jobs in the past though.
The real issue is our lack of viable mid options in the WAFL right now, only 4 players with AFL experience (McGinnity, Colledge, Lucas, Newman*).
Things will hopefully improve over the next few years as our younger players develop (e.g. Duggan, Waterman, Cavka, Maginness, Nelson, Adamson, Main).
*Possibly considered more as a forward

Was consistently beaten on Saturday in one on ones. For a guy so suspect in terms of his position in the side he was pretty lacks.

I'm 50/50 on keeping him for next year, not best 25 and not in our future planning.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

He is depth and should be only wheeled in to play when we are lacking options. I would say at present we are thin on options but I would not pick him.

He is named on the half forward line but we all know that is irrelevant. So where can he play and who else is ahead of him?

What can he do and is there someone who can do it better?
He can tag/play the run with but this role is becoming redundant especially in a web.
He is sometimes called to have a turn in the centre clearances and this is where he is piss poor.
In the open he has decent skills however his skills drop away drastically when under pressure. This includes shooting for vital goals and in traffic. Too many of his hand passes behind the receiving player!
He has a decent tank but has developed a game plan of gently jogging everywhere.

I am looking forward to Cavka and Waterman in another 12 months as I think both will have gone past him.

I see him shuffling with Newman, Lucas, Karpany, McSpud and Main as to who is coming or going.

Probably keep him for 2016 then shed (unless he changes drastically). The draft in 2016 is looking like last year so would be happy to delist 5-6 players in 12 months.

hutchings was only ever going to be a stop gap measure while our midfield talent and depth was at its lowest.Has come in and played some decent games but hopefully the youngsters can pass him soon

If Hutchings could play that half forward role adequately, he would be of some use but he just doesnt have the class or the skills to hurt the opposition.

Just goes to show how good and crucial Duggan already was to our setup. He would have embraced the finals.

I've never had too much of a problem with him in the side as normally he makes up for his skill deficiencies by working his arse off all day, but on Saturday he showed the quality of player that he actually is... And at the moment that isn't AFL Level.

Missing that crucial set shot at the end was terrible, but so too was the play on the broadcast wing where he was matched up one-on-one against one of the Suns speedier players (Aaron Hall I think, but can't exactly remember) and turned him beautifully. Then he completed overran the ball as he was being chased without getting his body behind it and the ball went back up the other end. I wouldn't be surprised if those two plays alone see him dropped for this coming week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never had too much of a problem with him in the side as normally he makes up for his skill deficiencies by working his arse off all day, but on Saturday he showed the quality of player that he actually is... And at the moment that isn't AFL Level.

Missing that crucial set shot at the end was terrible, but so too was the play on the broadcast wing where he was matched up one-on-one against one of the Suns speedier players (Aaron Hall I think, but can't exactly remember) and turned him beautifully. Then he completed overran the ball as he was being chased without getting his body behind it and the ball went back up the other end. I wouldn't be surprised if those two plays alone see him dropped for this coming week.
Yeah, not getting his body behind the ball was ordinary. At least Paddy knows enough to do that.

I thought he was going well last year, but he a looks at least a step slower and less fit this season, not sure why. Can't see him staying on the list with his current performance.

The thought that he might be replaced by Paddy is slightly horrifying ....

McGinnity is awful.

Bit like that, isn't it. Not sure Scooter, McGinnity or Hutchings should be considered simply from a skills perspective. Surely Colledge or Lucas could offer more?

Bit like that, isn't it. Not sure Scooter, McGinnity or Hutchings should be considered simply from a skills perspective. Surely Colledge or Lucas could offer more?

I don't think any of the 5 on that list are currently AFL level players (not in a top side).

Scooters best was/is, remains to be seen if he'll get back to that level ... at Geelong :)

Don't rate him, never have. Has state league player written all over him.

I think we have enough youth (+ this years Intake) to justify his delisting personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back