Hypothetical Moral Dilemma: What'd you do if you saw a CFC player doing something they shouldn't?

Hypothetical: If you saw your favourite player drink driving, who would you mention their name to?

• I ain't know nuffin'

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Only my good mates Bazza and Wozza

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • It'd be a secret between me and my Twitter followers, Facebook friends, and BigFooty buddies

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'd get on the blower to the Collingwood Football Club about it

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I'd have a chat to Caro, Robbo, or some journo from Today Tonight

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • I'd call Crimestoppers

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

*** Important ***

The poll question is purely hypothetical

I am not aware of any footy player drink driving apart from historical cases that are widely in the public domain.

It's a bit difficult to answer poll questions if they're too general. Are we talking about jaywalking or terrorism? Drink driving is merely an example that provides context to a 'moral dilemma' question.

-----------

Hypothetical / Moral Dilemma: What would you do if you witnessed a Collingwood player doing something that they shouldn't?

And I'm not talking about "Kicking it back into the corridor when we're a point in front and 45 seconds left on the clock."

I'm referring to a breach of club rules? Or something immoral? Or something illegal?

You see a player making an idiot of themselves in public in a way that's socially unacceptable?

You see a player out at 4am drinking during the season?

You see a player placing a bet on an AFL game?

You see a player taking recreational drugs?

You see a player drink driving?

What would you do? How would you respond if you were in those situations?

And to the lawyers amongst you, give the thread until after the GWS game before weighing in ;)

Last edited:
If it was seriously illegal, I'd call the cops. I'm pretty black and white (pardon the pun) about that kind of thing.

If it wasn't seriously illegal, but was something that would harm the club should/when it becomes public, I'd call the club and alert them.

Hypothetically if it was an act that was impacting another person I'd do something.

Players out drinking at 3am or taking recreational drugs is not something I'd dob them in for. I'd spend a lot of time contacting the club if that was the case...

I would treat it like any other incident.
If their actions are not harming anyone else, i.e drugs, drinking, running through the streets naked then it's none of my business.
If their actions are harming others, i.e picking fights, assault, vandalism etc then I would take some form of action.

Depends what kind of mood I'm in.
If I'm feeling generous I'll just put a choker hold on them and give them a good talking to.
I'm I've had a rough day I'll probably just piledrive them and be done with it.
Feeling creative probably some thing like a power bomb and follow up with a figure four leg lock.

Depends what kind of mood I'm in.
If I'm feeling generous I'll just put a choker hold on them and give them a good talking to.
I'm I've had a rough day I'll probably just piledrive them and be done with it.
Feeling creative probably some thing like a power bomb and follow up with a figure four leg lock.
No matter how sh*t the year is going, and no matter how depressing all the news is coming out of the club you always manage to make me laugh.
Keep up the good work

Apart from drink driving, I would suspect that a huge number AFL players get witnessed doing a lot of those things pretty regularly. I personally have seen plenty of that. When players get recruited they are not signing up to be men of the Night's Watch, or to some monastery or some thing, they are the same as your average male, australian 20-something, but they get paid more than the average so they like to party... As long as they can be good footballers as well, then good on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, so I think I've just clumsily put two and two together.

CFC2010 's last response in the "I heard a rumor" thread.

76, this threads got me worried now.

This hypothetical person, would he hypothetically be an A grader?

Let's hypothetically trade him before the shite hits the fan.

One thing I will say is that Buckley is probably perceived on this board as a control freak but I think his problem is that he is not invested enough in behaviour at the club.

He is a big believer in a laissez-faire approach to player behaviour and motivation. In other words it's up to players to self-motivate and if they don't, the end-product will be they are not in a condition to play so in that sense they select themselves.

Malthouse had an individualistic approach also in the sense that players were treated differently. Not only because of their backgrounds, which was useful in some instances (Leon), but because some players were better than others and that approach gave Malthouse licence to cut some players more slack than others (Didak, Wellingham, Shaw).

Buckley is dealing with the hangover of Malthouse's loose reign but to my mind he needs to ditch this self-motivation crap and start jumping on some players backs by expecting leadership, buy-in and minimum standards. Everyone is individual but that doesn't mean they run their own show and self-select. More particularly, it should be mother's milk that senior players lead the younger group.

Clarkson, Lyon, Hinkley; there is no doubt you lead as an older player or give it all you've got or you're gone through like a sack of s**t.

Last edited:

I picked up on that as well. I'm guessing the hypothetical part is going to be removed in the near future

Well judging by the groundswell of opinion on this board I'd say this.
If it was Pendles committing his own personal Jihad, then everybody would use the "i know nothing" scenario & keep quiet.
If it was Blair that was spotted jaywalking, he would be sent to the gallows without a trial. ;)

This goes to that old issue - should AFL footballers be role models, and have standards of behaviour that exceed what most males in their 20s reasonably achieve?

Bad things can and do happen when there is that potent mix of youth, talent, fame, money, adoring or abusive fans, drinking, drugs, girls throwing themselves at you and guys wanting to fight you. Its a miracle there are not more 'incidents' of AFL players breaking club rules, or worse, breaking the law.

Moral dilemmas are something of an irregular verb (e.g. I explain but you pontificate). I would be inclined to mind my own business, unless the favorite (or any other) player's actions placed me in some personal danger. Otherwise we approach the slippery slopes of vigilantism: I mean, re the hypo drink-driving - how do we know, short of an RBT reading, that the player was drunk? He could have been searching for his wallet in his pants pocket and momentarily wandered across a few lanes....

Fortunately we don't have to worry about being placed in any moral dilemma with our 'Pies players...

Let's hypothetically trade him before the shite hits the fan.
I picked up on that as well. I'm guessing the hypothetical part is going to be removed in the near future

... hence the very deliberate bolded part at the top of the OP. That was sincere, honest, and isn't going to change except in the unlikely event that I get new information.

Players out drinking at 3am or taking recreational drugs is not something I'd dob them in for. I'd spend a lot of time contacting the club if that was the case...
If it's drinking, smoking, drugs I wouldn't do a thing, even if it was an opposition player..
I would treat it like any other incident.
If their actions are not harming anyone else, i.e drugs, drinking, running through the streets naked then it's none of my business.
Apart from drink driving, I would suspect that a huge number AFL players get witnessed doing a lot of those things pretty regularly. I personally have seen plenty of that.

Would the way the team is performing affect your opinion?

Back