Employment Hypothetical: Working something other than retail with no experience?

Remove this Banner Ad

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
So this is a hypothetical at the same time as a semi serious thread. I turn 21 in February, currently working at Bunnings, either in the trade department or picking/organizing orders for companies up north. Don't deal with customers so much which is a win. I've been there 3 and a bit years, really enjoy it all said and done. But ideally, I'd like to have moved on or moved up later in life.

I haven't studied anything really. Did a woodwork basics tafe course 4 years ago, was a chipper for work experience, not really my cup of tea. Anyone else been in the same situation or similar? I also won't rule out studying something later on, I just don't know what to do yet. I have no standout ambitions.

I don't plan on leaving Bunnings anytime soon, but in 15 years I'd want to expand my experience in the workplace.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Dont fall into the trap of doing nothing. You dont want to get to your middle years and have no qualifications and struggling for work. Seen so many do that and regret it.

You need work out what you enjoy doing and go through your options. Cross things off that dont interest you. Studying, apprenticeship, working in sales with a plan to work up to management, police force or owning your own business are your main options.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Kind of in the same boat. 23 been in retail and while the pay is good (over and above what I deserve for my qualifications) it's obviously not very rewarding while all my mates been out of uni for a few years in good jobs and seem to have it all sorted it just makes me anxious. Did apply to get into the police academy and got right through to the end of the selection process before being knocked back and it really hit me hard as it was the first time in while that I was really driven to get into something.
Now looking to get into Uni but yeah not really set on one course id want to do, Ive been thinking Paramedical Science but just doubt myself so much that it holds me back from applying which I know doesn't help the situation.

Doesn't help that I had someone ringing for a reference for a job that I would've loved but my boss gave me a bad reference to (I think) keep me from leaving the job as I do a lot of work that he should be doing. :(

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Kind of in the same boat. 23 been in retail and while the pay is good (over and above what I deserve for my qualifications) it's obviously not very rewarding while all my mates been out of uni for a few years in good jobs and seem to have it all sorted it just makes me anxious. Did apply to get into the police academy and got right through to the end of the selection process before being knocked back and it really hit me hard as it was the first time in while that I was really driven to get into something.
Now looking to get into Uni but yeah not really set on one course id want to do, Ive been thinking Paramedical Science but just doubt myself so much that it holds me back from applying which I know doesn't help the situation.

Doesn't help that I had someone ringing for a reference for a job that I would've loved but my boss gave me a bad reference to (I think) keep me from leaving the job as I do a lot of work that he should be doing. :(
23 is not old man, I started Uni when I was 24 and recently graduated.. A lot of employers will prefer you to other fresh out graduates as well due to your previous work experience. Even if it's retail and not related to your new career, Any work experience>none

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

The good thing about you is that you have some valuable work experience and you're still young. While it may not seem like it now, you have acquired a number of skills that will be transferable to a number of different careers. Working in retail for the length of time that you have will have developed your communication and interpersonal skills, shown that you can work under pressure, ability to manage time...etc I could go on. These are all very valuable skills to have because they can be transferred to almost any role. If you were to study at University now, you would be a lot better placed to land a graduate role out of uni than somebody who enrols when they are 18.

I know in Melbourne, those who miss out on the Police force towards the end of the process are well placed to become a Protective Service Officer. That may be worth looking into. Does Perth have an equivalent?

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
I ****ed around after high school, did 2 years of Accounting for nothing. We learn from our mistakes. Working two part time jobs now at 21 (Retail and Sports coaching). Gotta say I don't mind retail and I love Sports Coaching, and because there was some reward for it and advancement, I have more reason work hard at it other than just because I enjoy it. I read books and research online about it in my spare time. This life is too easy, both jobs secure, only work 20-35 hours, both 1 minute from home, still living with parents. I was more naive than the average 18 year old out of high school, and still making up for lost time now. My only excuse is health issues which should have been targeted earlier.

Anyway, if I was at uni and I wasn't getting either HDs or Ds, I'd stop wasting my time. But I can't find something that interests me like sports coaching. My mindset is "I don't want to be good, I want to be great".

In the grand scheme of things, I'm in a terrible position, I'd be lucky to gross 30k a year. I have some ideas about what I want to do since I do have a bit of spare time, but want to make sure I know enough to know that I will commit myself.

Don't stress or compare yourself, each to their own. You could try the airport, on the ground or in the office, at check in or doing baggage. Hours are a bit ****ed up but the money is ridiculous. $31 an hour when my friend started out and now getting $37. You could switch retails and suck off the boss all day to move up, most big retailers offer manager career course plans. There is always warehouse/labouring but that can be a slog. Get in the car are go to different workplaces and ask questions, you have nothing to lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back