Hyundai A-League 2015/16: General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested in the financial facts actually;not sure what your interest is.
Started a league from scratch using his own money, gone well above expectations.

Nothing to see as much as you want to.

Last edited:
Frank Lowy is of the belief that he's dedicated his time to the sport which far outweighs any financial investment.

Still I find it a bit rough when the sport has wiped millions and contributed to the demise of people like Don Matheson, Peter Turnbull and Con Constantine for starters.

Agree there have been unfortunate decisions and casualties.
I don't have any issue with Frank's financial contribution Punt Road Feral ,simply suggesting there is a conversation to be had regarding the current and future financial basis and structure of the game from grass roots to elite level.
It was hey shorty who suggested I was a low level troll and Lowy had financed the league with his own money.Neither of which are true.
Cockerill's suggestion regarding a future fund and Andy Harper's points regarding the role of the new FFA board in terms of financial stewardship as a board predominantly comprising bankers and lawyers who should concentrate on generating an income stream,are important issues for the game's health and survival.
Just need to acknowledge the issues and allow the possibility that the current model has flaws.
Complex and critical issues.
I've faith in Gallop as an experienced administrator who knows the lie of the land and I'm certain he'll be working hard to come up with a workable model.

Serious question. Since getting fit Castro has been one of the most dangerous players in the league this season?

Serious question. Since getting fit Castro has been one of the most dangerous players in the league this season?
Small sample size Kenny.......

But yeah he's undoubtedly exceedingly talented and sees the game a step or 2 ahead. Guys like him, Carrusca, Finkler and even Mooy just have sooooo much time.

FFA threatens action over 'unacceptable' Wanderers fans
Football Federation Australia has revealed it is reviewing last night's "unacceptable" crowd behaviour from Western Sydney Wanderers fans at Etihad Stadium and has threatened to take action to ban troublemakers.

Nineteen flares were let off during the Melbourne Victory-Wanderers clash, with more than 25,000 fans, in attendance.

Play was stopped barely a quarter of an hour into the game, after a flare was let off in the Wanderers' section of the crowd.

Four people were evicted during the match, one spectator was arrested by police for being drunk, while 24 seats were damaged.

In a strong statement, FFA CEO David Gallop slammed the fan behaviour.

"The behaviour of some fans and in particular a section of the Western Sydney Wanderers fans at last night's match was unacceptable and will not be tolerated," Gallop said.

"FFA is currently compiling all reports from Victorian Police, stadium security and both clubs before deciding what action to take.

"This is a clear reminder of the type of people we do not want in our game and that will be reflected in the final outcomes of our enquiries.

"FFA is currently undertaking a review of the security and banning procedures to ensure a fair process for fans who are identified as misbehaving but will not waver from protecting the safety of spectators.

"Finding that balance during the banning process is central to our review but last night's events should be a reminder that the actions of a minority can damage the reputation and image of the game.

"That is why we will continue to identify and ban troublemakers."

The issue arises only months after the long-running drama between the FFA and active supporters.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...p-on-fan-behaviour/1fnpj8uc6z11y13is2833fy0i5

Throw the book at them! dock points if necessary may be the only way to get the message through.

As soon as he cited homesickness there was only 1 club he was gonna end up at.

Big signing, gives the Roar a much needed boost.

Players tend to give up on overseas careers a lot easier now. I know a lot of it is the A-League being better than something like the NSL but it seems players back then worked harder to keep their OS dream alive.

Good signing but they need new blood up back. Their back 4 and keeper is Dad's army at best as we and United have both shown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players tend to give up on overseas careers a lot easier now. I know a lot of it is the A-League being better than something like the NSL but it seems players back then worked harder to keep their OS dream alive.

Its a bit different/harder now with changes in Visa laws with the advent of the EU, in addition to changes within the UK. It's also harder since they changed how rankings were done.

Going back 15-20 years, even when we weren't making world cups, we were typically within the top 40 or 50 ranked countries in the world. It meant even marginal players could go to the UK with no problems. I don't profess to know exactly how it works, but I know they have to play a fair whack of international games now to get a visa.

As soon as he cited homesickness there was only 1 club he was gonna end up at.

I don't agree with that at all. If "there was only 1 club" he would've done it a month ago. It's no coincidence that the Chinese transfer window closed in the last day or 2 and now he's signed on.

It's definitely a quandary. The standard of domestic soccer has never been better, but we are just not getting the players into the European leagues anymore. There's easy money on offer for some rubbish Asian leagues, and that's part of the reason, but you know things are crook when Jedi has been our most senior Euro rep for years now.

Are new visa rules part of the reason? Maybe, but there are stacks of Australian soccer players who qualify for European passports, so if anything, Australians should have the advantage over most of the world's population.

Part of the reason is actually competition from more and more countries. Once upon a time, there were hardly any Japanese and South Korean players in Europe, and now there are quite a few.

It's a good point that there are more overseas players now in Europe. It seems over half of squads in tournaments now have Japanese and South Korean players now OS rather than in their domestic leagues. It used to be a vast majority played in the J and K leagues.

Good signing but they need new blood up back. Their back 4 and keeper is Dad's army at best as we and United have both shown.

We have an Australian rated full back in Devere but Aloisi wont play him

With Oar back you'd think Borrello may be on the way out. There has already been rumours of him leaving but I don't know a lot on it. Oar, Broich and Borrello will be vying for two positions.

Think he just signed a new contract but they mean nothing in the aleague. Oar will probably come off the bench friday night if he makes it at all. Borrello and henrique will be benched i'd say the following

It would be a bit too early IMO for him to head to Europe.

Come home Brandon.

Borrello shouldn't be a bench player, if he gets benched for the rest of the season behind Oar you'd think he would be unhappy. Maybe the rumors I heard were wrong who knows but those 3 players should be starting every week.

I think I've said it on here before, but is it just me or are we producing very few players who start off in the A-League and then go on to do well (as in become important players for their side over an extended period, not just the odd appearance over a season or two) in a major European league? It just feels like nearly everyone that goes to Europe ends up back in the A-League not all that long after.

Jedinak would be the best (only?) example that comes to mind. I suppose you could say that players like Rogic, Troisi and Sainsbury are doing OK and that someone like Kruse has been hampered by injury.

But the days of producing players that become mainstays over a long period in "major" European leagues and clubs seem to be over.

Troisi didn't start in the A League.

Borrello shouldn't be a bench player, if he gets benched for the rest of the season behind Oar you'd think he would be unhappy. Maybe the rumors I heard were wrong who knows but those 3 players should be starting every week.

He has to be realistic, Broich has the runs on the board and Oar is the better player. Aloisi could drop broich back and bench Petratos which could be a possibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back