Hyundai A-League 2015/16: Round 1 Discussion

hench

Suspended
Jun 20, 2012
Mod edit: Moved posts from General Chat thread to a specific Round 1 Discussion thread as we'll have a stickied Round Discussion thread each week. Cheers, Gibbsy

Round 1 Fixtures (all times AEDT)

Thursday 8 October
8:00pm – WS Wanderers vs Brisbane Roar

Friday 9 October
7:40pm – Adelaide United vs Melbourne Victory

Saturday 10 October
5:15pm – CC Mariners vs Perth Glory
7:30pm – Sydney FC vs Melbourne City

Sunday 11 October
5:00pm – Wellington Phoenix vs Newcastle Jets

-------------------

Oh my.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Jamie McLaren can play a full season for the Roar he'll be in the Socceroos by the end of the season. He would be fantastic running onto balls from the likes of Luongo and Rogic.

Never watched the A League before except for going to the odd Victory or City game.

Decided to actually put some effort in this year.

Previously ive struggled with the stark quality difference in the games but people tell me it's getting a lot better.

Who's this Jamie Maclaren bloke? He seems like a likely striker. Australian? Is he young?

Thought the quality of the game was good overall from both sides Brisbane just more clinical.

Mclaren is youngish striker from who scored a fair few goals last season as a super sub for the glory.
Has always looked a likely type, could be a breakout season for him if he stays a starter.
An Aussie boy as well yes

I think I'm going to follow City.

Victory fans on SEN annoy me "we've already got 25k members" they yell as undoubtedly fingering there own bum

Cousin works for city as well so will get free tickets. Mooy there best player?

Victory fans on SEN annoy me "we've already got 25k members" they yell as undoubtedly fingering there own bum

Jez mate you should know better then making up your mind on following a team by the type of fans who ring up SEN.:rolleyes:

Do you realise how big of an achievement for an A-League club saturated by 9 big AFL clubs to reach 25k members is?? Bloody oath they should be proad of it!

I always thought the best way to start following a team is by watching that team play and see if you feel a connection to them or develop a likening to a player or players!! not by how fans react on bloody talkback radio. (My two cents)

Anyway good to have a new fan on board, hope you enjoy the season ahead, the quality of the league keeps improving every year, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and City look to finally have a chance to challenge this season so you may have joined at the right time And Yes Mooy is by far City's best player!

It's just like the footy.

Every team has a similar percentage of fans that are just annoying. Victory have more fans, so there are more idiots.

I think you'll find the team itself quite likeable.

Mooy is definitely their best Australian player (he'd be close to being the best Australian player in the A-League).

It's just like the footy.

Every team has a similar percentage of fans that are just annoying. Victory have more fans, so there are more idiots.

I think you'll find the team itself quite likeable.
Nah. Thompson, Muscat, Berisha, Barbarouses, Georgievski: all campaigners.

Mooy should look to move abroad after this season.
Apparently it was organised that he would be transferred to New York City FC in the last offseason but then he got an injury in the prelim final which put an end to that. He had serious European offers afterwards but CFG apparently wanted to keep him in their organisation so they moved him to a marquee contract and significantly increased his salary. It's a massive coup for both City and the League that a player of that quality is staying in Australia for the time being. He's also recently engaged/married and has a house in Melbourne with his fiance/wife and although I wouldn't begrudge him a move, it's fantastic that he's stayed on.

As a new City fan, I agree.

Also IRT to not going for Victory, it isn't just the fans - also don't think it's right to jump on a side who just won a title. Bandwagoners are flogs.