I blame Tom Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

I,m glad most people got my sarcasm the Milli Vanilli video is gold. Thank you big footy Bulldog posters this has made me laugh out loud.

Has anyone blamed it on the boogie yet?

(if not, I blame it on the boogie)
usatsi_7829938.jpg

This is one of those rare threads where I agree with pretty much everything everyone has posted.

Hopefully one day we can all agree on a thread celebrating our next flag, with Libba wearing a Norm Smith as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I blame the players for going out on the p1ss in the week of the 1974 elimination final down at Barwon Heads or wherever it was, and then all playing like **** on game day. Instead of celebrating making the finals for the first time in 13 years as the end result, the stupid bastards should have done everything possible to set themselves for a big game. Lots of those guys were my heroes back in those days, but apparently they all got on the turps. We'd won 6 in a row, Pies were coming off three losses, and we kicked 1.10, 2.0 and 0.8 in the last three quarters to 5.0, 3.3 and 6.1 after being 17points down at quarter time. So 3.18 to 14.4 in 3 quarters, against a team with a few standouts and lots of foot soldiers, while we fielded Dempsey, Gallagher, Huppatz, Jennings, Magee, Parke, Quinlan, Sandilands, Stoneham, Round, amongst others.

THAT was the start of all our troubles, then came Sachse the next year, leading the elim in 76 until the last few minutes against Geelong, then 9 years in the wilderness, and so on...

Those players in that 74 side should all talk to our current list en masse, and say "sorry fellas, 40+ years ago we ****ed up, and so one night this year, we will all appear at training together, to get the monkey off our back, and change the course of history...." Then they should all write me a personal letter apologising for the angst I've suffered as a supporter ever since, and apologise to everyone involved on Leon's list for jixing our club ever since.

And as for the administrators of our club in the 1970s, they're as much to blame as the players...

I could go on and on, but I would only break down and sit in a corner and start rocking again. I loved the 70s as a young kid barracking for his club, but looking back now, what a ******* wasted period for our club with all the on-field talent we had at our disposal. We had as much talent as some of the power teams of the era - and have absolutely jack-**** to show for it. :(

And you young whipper-snappers complain about the 90s... :p

I find what you say very interesting, as someone once told me that Gary Dempsey has said that the Dogs with the team they had should have won at least one flag in the '70s but with the accidents to both Robert Rose and Neil Sasche? the players were really knocked about and hope was lost. Just thought I would share for what it's worth. Reading your post resonated with me, so we must be of a similar vintage.

In between Ivan and Leon, (in no particular order)
I blame Super for giving away a free kick in the last 30 seconds to give Carlton their ONLY goal
Are you referring to the game in 1991 at the Whitten Oval, where the scoreline was 7.9 to 1.10.

I was there with the old man. My first time at the Whitten Oval. I'll never forget Glen Coleman attempting a kick deep into the forward line, the ball slowing mid-air, then just dropping to the ground. The ferocity of the wind just astounded me!

This thread makes me laugh and cry simultaneously if that is possible. I've witnessed all the stuffups mentioned previously and bad memories have come flooding back. I blame all you guys for tormenting me yet again!

But the real blame lies with the fact that I lived so close to the Whitten Oval as a kid that I couldn't help but walk across the Geelong Road and have a look at the team playing there. Actually my prime motivation was probably to go around collecting Boon Spa soft drink bottles and being paid a few pennies for returning them behind the main scoreboard. So there it is, I got sucked in by default and now cannot escape this lifelong - something!!

I find what you say very interesting, as someone once told me that Gary Dempsey has said that the Dogs with the team they had should have won at least one flag in the '70s but with the accidents to both Robert Rose and Neil Sasche? the players were really knocked about and hope was lost. Just thought I would share for what it's worth. Reading your post resonated with me, so we must be of a similar vintage.

Assuming I have the right person, you and your brother used to sit in front of me several years back on the wing, so we are sort of in a similar age group!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back