Roast The Unofficial Marijuana Discussion (...Depression Thread? What?)

Waited 11 hours in the northern hospital emergency department only to be told by the CAT team that I'm not in a serious enough condition and they won't commit me because there is a 'lack of beds'

Was told to wait 2 more hours for a psych. Ended up walking out on them because I've been awake for 27 hours on just 3 hours sleep.

#poorservice
#publichealthsystem
#thanksjoehockey
#goingtobednow

Yeah - Hospitals in Australia are Crap and Government do nothing to fix them

Just so you know Tempest, I've gone through a very dark patch and have come through the other side a better and happier bloke. :) it might feel like you'll be stuck in a dark pit forever, but that's just your brain messing with you. It all passes mate. Try to be present, and if you haven't already visit the black dog institute's website.

Cheers, Jim

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
read through most of the last 3 pages and the first 8-9 pages, so i might have missed a few things. i take interest in depression/anxiety stories because i've had the same my whole life. its no fun and every day was a nightmare for me. im not "cured" but i have made some improvements in my life to help me deal with it. i am going to tell you what i have done to help my lifestyle, hopefully i am some help. i am a naive 20 year old so apologies if a lot of these come across as no brainers.

firstly, make realistic priorities. are you in any condition to focus on a career? no. forget about advancing or finding another job or education for now. you need to be healthy. plenty of time for career stuff. assuming you have a job now that pays, then your set for the time being. if not then go find any job with suitable hours. you cant get time back, but you can get money back. time is your friend, you are still young. when you make enough improvement mentally a physically, then focus on career. at the same time, dont delay things out of laziness.

go to the gym and do it properly. properly properly properly. ask people how to do stuff, people are generally friendly at the gym unless they have a do you even lift shirt on. focus on the muscle you actually need to use. dont use momentum from other body parts as you will * your posture and risk injury. i suggest using one handed exercises as its natural for your dominate hand to do most of the work. play music go for runs every day building up cardio ramps up quickly if your consistent. will be hard at first but you'll get there. the biggest challenge isn't in the gym, its outside the gym. when you feel good, you feel like you can eat any junk food or slack off for the rest of the day. dont give in. don't.

eating is very important. you wont rely on energy drinks if you feel good. go buy frozen veggies, throw them in a pan with soy sauce or oil and eat them. simples. snack on fruit and nuts during the day. go to a supermarket and see what you can find that you like, plenty of affordable stuff. sugar is the no.1 enemy.

try to get 8-9 hours sleep (or at least be in bed) and be awake before 9 on non working days. sleep is the best medicine. force yourself until it becomes routine.

once you feel good, you will have the energy to commit to something. as someone said before, id recommend some sort of martial arts (which can replace gym) as its great to get involved with people. the one i started at has people who started at 50 years old, anyone can do it. if not then some sort of sport. just do something. dance lessons, debating, who gives a *. find something you like and get involved with the community of it. real life, not online.

never stop learning, use most of your time for stuff that you will learn from. read factual books... if you dont like reading then maybe try football autobiographies, i didn't mind buckley's book.

i dont know if you blame your mother or whatever, but blaming is useless. so so useless. you cant control everything and you have to play the cards you've been delt. thats life. nothing more attractive than a mission (sorry to quote bieber... his music is everything to me). life is nothing without challenges, no matter how hard they are. challenges define you and you learn, whether success or fail. yeah its bullshit that you have a lot of problems (as do i) that you aren't responsible for, but guess what? bad luck, deal with it and we move forward. yay tomorrow, more challenges!

everything happens for a reason. be honest with yourself when you know you could have done better. even the 1%ers. your mum yells at you for something ridiculous? tell her her hair looks nice and walk away. its better than giving it back to her. doesnt matter if she is dead wrong, it matters how you come out of the situation.

all the best, hope you are doing well.

Last edited:
Keep your chin up Tempest - we are all still here with you mate. I hear that Magpie Girl might be arranging another catchup soon so maybe see if you can get down along to that and catch up with a few of the characters of the board.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
This may be trite, as I am in no way in the position of some of the people who have contributed to this thread.
I note that Tempest was awake for 27 hours plus. This, as we all know is not good.
After an accident a few years ago I had huge trouble sleeping, simply could not be horizontal without freaking out.
Of course the medical profession prescribed sleeping pills which worked initially, but the quality of sleep was poor and within weeks I became immune to their effects.
Then someone told me about these products;
http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-information/

Now I'm a non believer of natural remedies, give me a scientifically endorsed pill any day.
But I gave these a shot.
And bugger me dead, they worked.
Stopped my mind racing, gave me hours of deep, deep sleep.
I now have the pastilles, which are not the sleep remedy, on hand wherever I go. They slow the mind and clear the thoughts without any side effects.
The products marked "sleep" are more powerful.

Now I don't want to belittle the extreme problem of depression, but I know that lack of sleep will compound any problems you may have.
Give these a go. Don't be discouraged if they don't work on the first night. But keep at it for a week.
I have recommended these to others and the feedback has always been positive.
Good luck guys.

I am truly shocked that they do the job MG.
But the proof is in the pudding. Don't live without them now.
Bloody flowers. Who would have thought?
You're forgetting that many drugs come from flowers:)
The essences have been around for a long time

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
You're a bigger inspiration than what you think I'm holding you up on a pedastool for being so brave.. and if you continue and persevere in fighting through this.. then you'll be in a position to inspire 100/1000s of others who are going through it.

As far as work goes.. there are employment networks that assist people with physical as well as mental illness.

Youre no different to any Collingwood player.. they fight and persist to get the best out of themselves just like you.

All the best.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dr wants to put me on prozac after i'm off this crap
How long is the waiting period between drugs? AD's are varied in their effectiveness and unwanted additives - like insomnia. I'd give Prozac a go. Pristiq that OA mentioned earlier in the thread were uplifting but were hard for me to sleep on. Sometimes you have to trade one thing off against another. Don't despair. There are horses for courses. Your doctor needs to correctly assess your course or you'll get the wrong horse. If often wonder how much doctors truly understand of the effects of drugs when they don't actually experience them for themselves. The zapping from withdrawal you mention is real. You didn't get a sedative to help through the symptoms?

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
They were gonna give me a sedative but I missed my appointment with them on Friday due to not being able to drive there because of my Insomnia.

Origin Mental Health is going to give me a ring tomorrow and they may come down again to assess me, but i'm not sure what they'll do meds wise for now.

I think the wait is 2 weeks.
I am in a time zone three hours behind you. You certainly are a night owl! I thought I was pacing the corridors of this forum alone, but you are still up and about at 2am.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey there, good observation skills.

I've been raging with my mate Danny's cocaine since Thursday, it's a little strong but once it gets in you're going non stop all night. It's absolutely amazing, you should come join the party, we're going to keep going until Steve runs out of the s**t he bought from the sketchy dealer down at the IGA car park.

I'm kidding. I don't do cocaine. :p

I've been suffering from insomnia the past few nights, mainly due to quitting the Paroxetine I was on semi-cold turkey.

You can't just go off this medicine like I did, I went down from 3 tablets to 1 tablet within the space of 3 days, and then 3 days later gone off them completely.

I feel like absolute crap now, my brain has a weird 'zapping' sensation which I have read about is due to Paroxetine withdrawal, I have no appetite, I'm tired all day yet I can't sleep, and it's basically affected me adversely in many ways EXCEPT for my Depression.

Ever since I stopped taking my Paroxetine, I've been unable to think suicidal thoughts, I've had a more positive outlook even though I can't sleep and I'm experiencing strange things, and I am doing my best to manage my anger even though I am feeling very irritable.

So this brings me to my question.... Why the hell was I given this stupid 25 year old drug with TONS of side effects in the first place? There's heaps better stuff out there, technically I should have a real hot argument with my old GP for prescribing me with this CRAP, but i'm not in the mood.

Since Thursday I have slept for about 12 hours in total, I'm starting to see figures on the corner of my eyes which I know aren't there, but it's due to Insomnia. The last few days I've been awake all night only to finally sleep for a couple of hours at Midday, and then repeat the cycle again.
And then when I finally feel like I'm going off to sleep..... ZAP ZAP ZAP my brain starts withdrawing from the drugs and I get this terrible tingling feeling in my brain every 2 mins.
I hate it more than anything.

Even though I'm feeling so positive at the moment, I just want these stupid sensations to go away and I just want to be able to sleep again.

I'm actually scared to go on another anti depressant again. Anti what? This stupid one was Anti-nothing, the only thing it did for me was make me put on weight and think more suicidal.

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated guys, I'm looking to get through this initial 'tough period' without getting back on the paroxetine. I'm never touching that s**t again.
Mate, if your quack is prescribing a quarter of a century old drugs, then it's time to get a new quack.
As you rightly point out, science has moved on.
Do not be afraid to get a second or third opinion.
Medical practices these days are simply a business and as such the days of the family doctor who knew you and your family inside out have gone.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would like to say something that would make you feel better about the day's events but I can't help but think you should not have put a video game ahead of a visit from the Orygen team. I have never been a video game player so will admit that I don't understand the attraction of them.

What a shame you didn't get the sedatives last week. A new keyboard shouldn't set you back too much but the car damage might be a bit costly.

Don't miss your Parkville appointment. You'll make a rod for your own back if you don't sort out your medication.

Last edited:
Tempest - take it easy mate. Relax when you can and take some time out when things just get too much. I still think that a walk is probably the way to go when you are feeling irate and the world is down on you, sure would beat any costs to damaged vehicles or injury to someone else you love like your uncle or little cousin.

Keep with a GP and keep with the recommendations from professionals. I might be a little naive on this but I do think they know what is best and in time things will improve.

Hopefully the week is improving for you.

I'm on Lovan which is the same as Prozac apparently. I'm straight out anxious not depressed which only came on recently. The Lovan will really calm you down. Takes about two weeks to kick in.

I use to be on Lovan but I was moved onto seroquel xr

Back