Roast The Unofficial Marijuana Discussion (...Depression Thread? What?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tempest I know you've heard this before from me and a bunch of people but a lot of us here have been through really tough times where we considered suicide, and we're all glad we didn't. Things pick up mate. Sometimes life really really sucks and what youre probably thinking is "things pick up for everyone else but they wont for me, " well I used to feel that way for a long time in my early 20s and now things are lot better. Please hold on

I notice you are up late on your computer. This is a bad habit for sleep. No sleep = no mental capacity to build on when the day comes around.

Only advice I can offer (that hasn't already been said) is to start at the foundation. By that I mean sleep and personal health/diet.
Sounds crap I know but I have a lot of experience in the results of lack of rest and what it does to your mind and the ability to function adequately.
Drop all caffeine and see your doctor to get some assistance to sleep. When you wake, eat properly (not quick crap). Most of the advice here is correct however you wont be receptive to it until you are well rested and in the right frame.
Its the one percenters that'll do it for ya. Small steps, each one in the right direction. When you screw up, as we all do, don't give up. Stay on this path but above all, now that you've got it off your chest, its now time to move on from all the reasons you've listed, and focus on what you can control.
Every time you mention an external cause of your grief, it gives you a reason to not own the problem. You are stronger than you know.
Own the problem, and you'll own the answer.
As said earlier, by the Great Tommy H : If its going to be, its up to me.

Tempest, do you realise you started this thread 8 months ago and you're still here!
Look back over the posts and there's a whole lot of different posters.
These are people who don't know you but care enough about a fellow Pie to comment/offer advice.
There is hope, don't give up.
Actually I just found this number (03) 93905535 and here's the link http://helpline.net.au/
Give them a call please they're open 24 hours a day.
Being non-religious like I am I noticed the crosses and thought oh-oh, you might not be religious either?
Don't worry, they don't judge.

Seems like a bunch of preachers lol
I hope not.
Anyway a phone call is all you need to make and talk things through.
You'll know after talking to them whether they can help.

Tempest - This one might also be worth a try. I always see the ads and just had a look at their website which looks pretty relaxed. Man Therapy

https://www.mantherapy.org.au/tales-of-triumph

There is a video from a AFL player John Sudholz which is worth a view.

Ultimately you need to be comfortable with whatever chosen help you seek - but you need to find some help from someone. You can't do this alone and there is no shame in having someone who knows what they're doing put you back on the right track.

We all want you to look back on these bad days as just that, bad days in the past.

If you do get more counselling, which would be a great idea, remember there are several different forms of counselling.
Try someone who practises "Solution Focused Brief Therapy". This is a more modern approach that spends less time on wondering why you're here, and instead maps a plan to move yourself into new habits and a new life. Its a no bullsht way of moving forward, as opposed to stroking your hand and focussing on what happened when you were younger.
Meanwhile, hop off the computer and do just two things that will help your future self.
Remember, own the problem and you own the cure.

I have been having the worst panic attacks all night.

My heart is beating 1000 times a second and my tongue feels like it's stuck in my throat.

Every time I try to lay down to go to sleep I feel really nauseous and just think bad thoughts.

My mum heard me hyperventilating when she went to get up for work and she basically had a red hot go at me telling me it's my fault I'm in this situation for thinking all these bad words.
She said I need to go to see the Dr today and get anti depressants or she's going to commit me into a hospital.

Ouch!!! Blaming the sufferer.

If your panic attacks are so severe at present, you may need a bit of pharmacological assistance (short-term).

As for not hitting it off with Docs and counsellors, happens all the time. You need to feel that your issues are understood by whoever it is you're working with otherwise you're just pissin' in the wind.

I've worked in the mental health field for a long time, and at times have been appalled by the mismatch in what a person is presenting with and the skills of those "helping" (although this has been the minority).

Research what are the most effective treatments for your particular issues/symptoms, and accept nothing less

My mum heard me hyperventilating when she went to get up for work and she basically had a red hot go at me telling me it's my fault I'm in this situation for thinking all these bad words.
She said I need to go to see the Dr today and get anti depressants or she's going to commit me into a hospital.

Maybe being home with you Mum is not the Best Idea at this very moment because she is making you feel s**t then that just would make it worse.

Talk to someone about this

Tempest has his reasons for staying at home - a big house where he has space to move and his mum's advice is as good as any in the circumstances. Hey Tempest how are you today?

Tempest has his reasons for staying at home - a big house where he has space to move and his mum's advice is as good as any in the circumstances. Hey Tempest how are you today?

Okay Thanks for Clearing that up.

He just seems to post at Times that his Responses from his Mum can not be the Best for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, it's like not many people understand what I'm REALLY going through.

I went and saw my Dr and she doesn't want to give me any meds because she is worried I will OD on them so she wants my mother to come in tomorrow and get the anxiety meds :/

I talked to my mum about it and she said no I think you need anti depression medication but my local Dr is very hesitant to give them out.

Sounds to me like you need some kinda relief for your lack of sleep and panic attacks. Anything worked for you in terms of easing the panic attacks? (valium, lorazepam etc.)

Might be a good idea mate to go and see the GP with your mum so the GP also gets a feel for any home related issues that obviously have a bearing on your condition.

That way at least you'll have a professional mediator somewhat who can explain why she recommends whatever meds or programs he/she does. I'm not sure what experience, professional or otherwise your mum has, but might be worth her listening to a professional also.

Why don't you get out of the house when you can and go and do something you'll enjoy whether it's just a walk or trip into town, down the beach anywhere to relax.

This is my third attempt at posting, I wrote it on a word document this time!

ACTION PLAN

EMERGENCY: If in immediate danger, go to your local Emergency Department (by ambulance if necessary) and you’ll be sorted out from there, after waiting a couple of hours. Or you mum can call the police if she finds you obviously on the verge of doing something, and they would take you to the ED.

URGENT. Ring your local mental health triage. I don’t know where in Melbourne you live so I cant tell you the number. Look them up on health.vic.gov.au. Eg if you live in Middle South (ie Clayton, Braeside, Brighton area) you ring 1300 369 012. If you ring the wrong number they’d tell you which area.

Mental Health triage can provide home visits (the next day generally) or admissions, but may be less useful if things actually aren’t urgent. Their urgent services cater for all sorts of people in crisis, without them needing to have a major mental health illness. (however for non-urgent services for adults they may only see people with complicated disorders)

However many of the area services also provide youth mental health services for people under 25, which do cater for people who “just” have depression and similar issues. This way you would get a free service, which would include access to medication, social support and counselling.

LESS URGENT.

See a new GP (booking out a longer appointment time), be more insistent with the current one, or get a referral to a psychiatrist. (this will take a couple of weeks). GPs often list their interests on their web pages and lots of them are knowledgeable about mental health, although they can’t easily set aside 1 hour appointments. Having read the thread, I feel you are not in a mind frame to commit to psychotherapy, but should go on antidepressants. When you are depressed, the depression will keep coming up with excuses as to why you should not do anything that might help, and it is pretty easy to ignore what counsellors say! It is easier to make yourself swallow a tablet, although your depression will doubtless come up with reasons to put you off!

Escitalopram (Lexapro) is a good antidepressant. Ignore what people said about numbing- that is not how antidepressants work- it is a side-effect people occasionally get and if that happens just ask if you can lower the dose, or switch to a non-SSRI.

Now you have been having panic, you would probably need to start on a half tablet for the first few days, to ease into it. Sometimes panicky people become very sensitive to changes in body chemistry, even tho Lexapro is also an anti-panic drug when it starts working. I suspect you would need something like diazepam initially. If your GP is nervous about prescribing, then she can write “dispense 5 days (or whatever) at a time” on the script. Or she could give you sample packs and see you frequently.

There is a chance you have an underlying bipolar illness- the common sort involves being depressed 95% of the time, and feeling energised for only a couple of days at a time, so the diagnosis is easy to miss. Really if you had an undiagnosed bipolar then antidepressants would still be more likely than not to help you, although not considered first choice. If instead of helping they made you agitated, or high, or seemed to work at first then mysteriously go backward, then you would probably be better off on Seroquel XR or similar.

Remember antidepressants take a couple of weeks before you start noticing any benefit

LONG TERM

As your mood improves you can be on an upward spiral, better able to look at counselling, able to motivate yourself to do things like exercise and sort out your work issues. Also the longer you are on treatment the easier it is to come off as there is a greater chance you have been properly cured (like taking antibiotics). (The diazepam does not fall in this category as it is more of a band-aid drug, and can be addictive).

Exactly, it's like not many people understand what I'm REALLY going through.

I went and saw my Dr and she doesn't want to give me any meds because she is worried I will OD on them so she wants my mother to come in tomorrow and get the anxiety meds :/

I talked to my mum about it and she said no I think you need anti depression medication but my local Dr is very hesitant to give them out.

That is great to hear you have got Tablets to help you with your Anxitey.

My mum just smashed the internet modem because she thinks it's the cause of me not going to work. So I am writing this from my phone.

**** I hate living with backwards people.

Looks like I'm just going to sit here and rot.

Gezz - Sounds like someone needs to take a Chill Pill and this time it’s not you.

Well we went do the Dr and she prescribed Me aropax
The condition was that only my mum is to give it to me due to my 'suicidal tendencies'

My mum asked the Dr if she could commit me to a mental hospital and I butted in saying nope that's totally my choice otherwise you have to take me to court for it.
The Dr agreed

We get in the car and she starts her crap again 'ok you're not coming back home with me I'll take you either to the hospital or your grandparents house'
I guess she didn't like how I knew more than her about the mental hospital stuff....

I said ok let me go home and get my stuff.
I tried to milk the situation when I got home but she tore up the prescription for aropax and said if i wanted anything it's out of her hands now

So I have until the end of today to leave otherwise she's going to call the police to get me forcefully removed
I'm just giving my room a good clean out now so it's easier for her to manage when I'm gone
Then I dunno what I will do. I think my time might be coming to an end
Yes, go live with your grandparents.

I know you said it's too small, but there are sacrifices that need to be made.

A lot of your stories, involve your mum. I think it is definitely worth a shot to live with your grandparents.

Material possessions are irrelevant when compared to your health.

Also, go back to the doctors, maybe with a grandparent, to get a prescription.

Nope, I tried the treadmill for a week but I just completely lost motivation afterwards. (And this was when I wasn't as depressed)
I'm not fat or anything but you could consider me unfit for my age so it's always been a sore affair.
Not a fan of the treadmill either , try a gym and jump on a heap of different machines for a few minutes each .
Also going there and meeting new people changes things up .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back