I Don't Even Know the Rules Anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like it was deliberate tactic from Schulz against Thompson, to initiate the jumper hold. Forward has little to lose, as even if it gets noticed, it's only a free kick deep in your forward line. But Scotty should have thrown his arms out to show the umpire what was happening.

The Monfries one isn't even worth discussing, it's laughable.

First tactic would be to ensure you read the play better than your direct opponent and get into position so you're the one protecting the ball drop and playing in front. Rightly or wrongly umpires reward players who are seemingly going for the ball, playing in front puts your best foot forward in regards to your perception to the umpires. Talia is currently the best in the comp at this.

In other words, don't be in a position where Schulz can employ the tactic in the first place.

Secondly, play off your man, ensure teammates talk/communicate and chop it off

That’s perfect world though, if you do get caught behind;

Place your inside forearm on the hip of the forward, so that his hip bone is near your elbow. This is a point of balance and you can exert force and shift your opponent without giving away a free kick, Thompson could have been closer, eased Schulz towards the boundary line or under the ball. If Schulz extended his arm, he could then use this arm to move up and swipe from the inside towards the back, kind of like a martial arts block. This would turn Schulz and put him off balance, making it much more difficult to mark the ball.

But, sometimes, as a defender, you just have to nod your head and acknowledge you got beat and out smarted. It happens!

This is correct and no doubt in my mind Schulz planned every second of it.

Schulz is a cunning veteran now. He should be getting more credit for smart play rather than blaming umpires for easily made mistakes.

Maybe, just maybe the umps should do their job properly in the first place.

The Monfries falling back call was a terribly poor decision.

The Thompson holding calls though, I am sorry, but that is good footy from Schulz and pretty poor defending from Thompson.

One replay blatantly showed Thompson holding Schulz’s arm, pulling him back from being able to attack the ball. It’s a no brainer decision. The umpire was on the right side, saw he had a hold of his arm and paid the free. The next one was smart play from Schulz, he protected the ball drop whilst it was in flight with an early push in the chest, perfectly legal, he than grabbed Thompsons guernsey and Thompson responded by grabbing his arm. Technically that should be a play on call, but again, the umpire saw him grab his arm and paid the free.

Thompson has to be smarter, read the play better, and he needs to be the one playing in front, and shepherding out other players. Or, he needs to counter this tactic by using superior body positioning and getting on the inside of the forwards arm.

Repeating the same tactic which saw his direct opponent get given a free for earlier in the game is daft at best.
Nah mate, Schultz is holding Thomopson should have been a free to us... cheating is not good footy, you got the rub of the green this time be thankful...

Zing?

Thompson flinging his arms back takes him out of the contest, that's a ridiculous comment.

I forgot to mention that Ben Brown handball. At the game I was angry, as I thought that was far too close to handball to call. Having watched the replay, my ******* GOD!! That umpire is lucky we don't have a soccer mentality, otherwise someone on Level 1 would have jumped the ******* fence!

Umpires do not have authority to stop the game based on a 'maybe' call. It's ******* ridiculous!
100% Spot on. Too many maybe calls, but the real kicker is the lack of consistency.

If you set the precedent that Brown's is a throw then they need to call all the throws done by Gray and Wingard, because even they were co closer to a handball than Brown.

At the end of the day all supporters want is a simple thing, if you call it one way then call it the other, don't pick and choose.

As for the Schultz decisions, you can't blame him for the tactics he employed, because at the end of the day it was vindicated by incompetent umpiring. If you get away with it why would you stop?

If you don’t mind, umpire: The most controversial calls of AFL Round 3

If you don't mind umpire: R3

PORT Adelaide forward Jay Schulz certainly got a good run from the umpires on Saturday night.

Schulz kicked four goals in the Power’s eight-point win over North Melbourne and three of those majors came directly from free kicks.

In fact, all three adjudications were paid against North Melbourne players for holding Schulz’s arm in a marking contest.

THE BAROMETER: WHO’S HOT, WHO’S NOT AHEAD OF ROUND 4

However, replays of the incidents suggest that Schulz was doing his fair share of holding and in some cases initiated the contact.

Early in the second term it was the undersized Ben Jacobs the unfortunate Roo to be pinged, then minutes later and again in the third term it was Schulz’s direct opponent Scott Thompson.

It didn’t end there for Thompson, who in bizarre circumstances had a free kick paid against him for backing into Angus Monfries — this too resulted in a Port Adelaide goal.

The Monfries decision in particular had Twitter buzzing with irate North fans voicing their disapproval.

Controversial, more like farcical calls of the round. I think Adam is saying in a polite way that Port can consider themselves extremely lucky.

Umpires were completely rubbish but they didn't cost us the game.

We hit the front, but were outplayed in final minutes and deserved to lose with basic mistakes being made and opposition guns stepped up.

The fact we didn't even bother to clog the defensive half when we hit the front is just bizarre, but for Scott nothing unusual. Likes to win on his structure than win ugly. **** that, just get the 4 points.

I think you are right....

I was surprised it was play on myself....

But if they had called back Wingard would be having another shot at goal instead of the point scored as he fluffed the handball to Monfries....

Just on the schulz decisions would it of made any difference if Thompson flung his arms back to make it more obvious instead of grabbing the arm?

Totally agree. Stupid from Scooter. If you keep doing the same thing and expect a different result, there's something not working right in your brain. As for Wingard, of course you are right, it was actually fortunate that no goal was scored, whereas he may well have slotted the set shot.

On the 2 goals scored from Port players running too far, while it is technically a free kick, I think complaining about those ones is a bit sooky-la-la as we didn't impact the contest or do anything to earn a free kick.

Raised by Terry Wallace today on SEN as something the umpires will now be on the lookout for, as it occurred in several games where KPF's held their defender at arm's length and received a free kick for the defender's attempt to break said move.

In the long run this may ultimately work against Schulz. If the umpires do as Wallet suggests and be on the look out, when they can't see who is holding who, they will call play on. He could well end up missing out on frees where he is the one infringed against. What rotten luck for him. :rolleyes:

In the long run this may ultimately work against Schulz. If the umpires do as Wallet suggests and be on the look out, when they can't see who is holding who, they will call play on. He could well end up missing out on frees where he is the one infringed against. What rotten luck for him. :rolleyes:

Be a pity if it costs them a game.

Shultz's tacktics got braught up a few times today on SEN. I reckon the umpires will be on to him now. It might actually work against him in the long run.

Totally agree. Stupid from Scooter. If you keep doing the same thing and expect a different result, there's something not working right in your brain. As for Wingard, of course you are right, it was actually fortunate that no goal was scored, whereas he may well have slotted the set shot.

On the 2 goals scored from Port players running too far, while it is technically a free kick, I think complaining about those ones is a bit sooky-la-la as we didn't impact the contest or do anything to earn a free kick.

It's not 'technically' a free kick. It is a free kick.

Just that the twits in green have absolutely no idea how far 15m is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zing?

Thompson flinging his arms back takes him out of the contest, that's a ridiculous comment.

I forgot to mention that Ben Brown handball. At the game I was angry, as I thought that was far too close to handball to call. Having watched the replay, my ******* GOD!! That umpire is lucky we don't have a soccer mentality, otherwise someone on Level 1 would have jumped the ******* fence!

Umpires do not have authority to stop the game based on a 'maybe' call. It's ******* ridiculous!
I agree with your frustration but I cant sympathise....

it was only last year we were dealt with the magic stick from the umps against you guys with a 38-15 free kick count

The problem with umpiring there really isnt accountability for them...no harsh punishments they are babied because of the harsh treatment they cop from fans yada yada...

You just got take the good with bad.... swings and round a bouts.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with your frustration but I cant sympathise....

it was only last year we were dealt with the magic stick from the umps against you guys with a 38-15 free kick count

The problem with umpiring there really isnt accountability for them...no harsh punishments they are babied because of the harsh treatment they cop from fans yada yada...

You just got take the good with bad.... swings and round a bouts.....
It's not about free kick counts!!! It's about obvious game changing free kicks in front of goal no less!!!! That by the way are totally incorrect!!!

It's not about free kick counts!!! It's about obvious game changing free kicks in front of goal no less!!!! That by the way are totally incorrect!!!
As you have seen free kicks change momentum 38-15 is a pretty large gap.

Surely you can see the point I am bringing up ...we copped it last year you copped it this year....

Unfortunately its just the way it goes in this game...

As you have seen free kicks change momentum 38-15 is a pretty large gap.

Surely you can see the point I am bringing up ...we copped it last year you copped it this year....

Unfortunately its just the way it goes in this game...
No I don't see your point!!! Show me specific examples of INCORRECT free kicks from last years game. The Monfries one, at least one of the Thompson marking infringements was wrong, the deliberate in Jacobs, the Brown non throw, while you had multiple throws I can recall not been called.

No I don't see your point!!! Show me specific examples of INCORRECT free kicks from last years game. The Monfries one, at least one of the Thompson marking infringements was wrong, the deliberate in Jacobs, the Brown non throw, while you had multiple throws I can recall not been called.
I am sure you would be absolutely over the moon with a 38-15 free kick count against you by the way you are carrying on...

i am not denying that you guys got shafted...but it happens to everyone

It really didnt need to escalate to this... and I have overstayed my welcome ..

I am sure you would be absolutely over the moon with a 38-15 free kick count against you by the way you are carrying on...

It really didnt need to escalate to this... and I have overstayed my welcome ..
Thanks for providing ZERO examples!!!

Free kick counts are so bloody irrelevant!!! Why do muppets even bring them up?

Free kick counts are so bloody irrelevant!!! Why do muppets even bring them up?

I tend to agree esp when the 'accountable Free Kick count' isn't kept score for… like POINTS off turnovers in the NFL.

If the AFL footy media had any real credibility, they'd do less waffling about nothing and pin point to the viewers how INCORRECT FREES for goals can impact games. Of course everything changes because the contest/ ball isn't going in the same direction. I'm ok for them to use the word 'controversial' because that's the only word allowable for the media to say. Each time you hear controversial you know it's either incompetent media being overzealous on something that impacted the BIG FOUR teams OR the umps screwed up ROYALLY.

It's like the word 'undermanned'.. that doesn't apply to North. The Cats this week will be DECIMATED btw.. so if North Win.. they'll have the D & U words ready for print. Put your kids future college/ uni funds on it.

Maybe, just maybe the umps should do their job properly in the first place.

Nah mate, Schultz is holding Thomopson should have been a free to us... cheating is not good footy, you got the rub of the green this time be thankful...
Yeah sure, and I want someone to give me a billion dollars and a Jennifer Lawrence/Miranda Kerr threeway. Both of which are more likely than getting perfection from AFL umpires and players ceasing to try and extract free kicks from their opponents close to goal.

So, do North fans want your players to keep trying to change the system you’re playing in and getting the rough end of the stick or do you want your players to get better at mastering the system and benefitting your team? I know which one I want Port players to do ;)

I also see a distinct and clear difference to manipulating an opponent and getting away with it, which all players from all teams do in all games, to acting/staging/diving, which only a select few do.

Neither of which are “cheating” though. That’s simply preposterous.

Yeah sure, and I want someone to give me a billion dollars and a Jennifer Lawrence/Miranda Kerr threeway. Both of which are more likely than getting perfection from AFL umpires and players ceasing to try and extract free kicks from their opponents close to goal.

So, do North fans want your players to keep trying to change the system you’re playing in and getting the rough end of the stick or do you want your players to get better at mastering the system and benefitting your team? I know which one I want Port players to do ;)

I also see a distinct and clear difference to manipulating an opponent and getting away with it, which all players from all teams do in all games, to acting/staging/diving, which only a select few do.

14614081403_1fed5909e4_o.png

Holding the man is a free kick.

Schulz held first on more than one occaision. I'd be content for the 'both holding' card to be played.

But to give multiple frees to Schulz is preposterous.

I agree it's not cheating.... However I think it's fair to expect a higher standard from the umpires. Monfries free in front of goal, absolutely incorrect decision, Brown throw, incorrect decision thwarting a run toward our goal, at least two of the holding Schulz frees that led to goal, both players holding at, should have been play on, Jacobs deliberate, incorrect decision, led to a goal.

You guys absolutely got the rub of the green, and I'm sure it's swings and roundabouts and one day soon we will walk away shaking our heads about how lucky we were. Just would be nice to go to the footy and know that if we lose its to the better team, without having to wrap our heads around some blatant howlers in front of goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back