Autopsy I don't melt anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto, been an interesting 24 hours on the board. I thought I'd share perspective from a 41 y.o pov. I've been supporting the club since 1978. Was raised in a Richmond family. To say Richmond is in my dna is a fair understatement (much like a lot of posters here). Been a member for over 10 years and now my whole family are members. I coach junior sport (footy and cricket, and used to help my brother in tennis back in the 90's), and love it.
Here's the thing, over the last few years (and last year in particular), I find i am becoming emotionally detached a bit. Now, I don't know if the ASADA thing began to wear me down a bit, dunno. But, it was a strange thing yesterday. I watched the warm up, and I could see we didn't look "on". Missing passes, goal kicking looked s**t etc ,etc. I thought ok, seen this before, let's see where it goes. By 3/4 time, I wasn't anything. I wasn't upset, I honestly started thinking about my next possible investment and decided to have a laugh with a couple of mates. The result, I just found I didn't care enough about it.
Now, I don't know if I am getting older and are getting more perspective on life, and am looking at bigger picture stuff, but, I looked at my boy as we were heading out and said "don't worry about it mate, it's only footy. Let's see how we go next week." He agreed.
"It's only footy". A few years ago, those words would of never left my mouth. Now, they roll off the tongue pretty easy. The Tigers are lucky, I love this club like my body loves air. But, I now feel a detachment occurring. The wins are great, don't get me wrong, but, the losses don't hurt like they used to.
I read the passion here, and I laugh about some of it. I wish I could still feel the urge to go coco bananas like a few of you, but, really, the AFL treat us like chumps and lie to us, and our club treads water. Over 35 years of support, and this is where I am. I'm not angry, I'm just curious to see if there are any other older tigers (Gen X's) starting to feel this way or are already there.
On Dimma, I feel he and the club have done a great job to get the list and club into a really solid position. I reckon Dimma knows a lot about footy, and how things ought to go, but, he isn't the man to take us to the next level. He is a poor match day coach. And I do like him.

You pretty much nailed how if feel (funnily enough I'm the same age). It's round 2. The competition is extremely even now. We were off and you could see it just wasn't our day. The dogs wanted it more and hunted us. Full credit to them we weren't good enough on the day. See what happens next week.

Sent from my brain using ESP.

As a 23 year old, I think I have a lot of patience for my age and am quite mature compared to those around me. I work as a Disability support worker, so I feel like I have a lot of patience and understanding. As well as a few bad years in my teens, with friends and family choosing to go down wrong paths and attending quite a few funerals in those years.

So everyday life, I tend to just let things slide and understand that it could be a lot worse. When it comes to Footy though, particularly this club..... I get more angry and frustrated then I ever do. After a loss like yesterday, no one could even speak to me, let alone mention the game. And for the life of me, I don't understand why I get upset and angry. I think it's just because I don't think I've had the success in a personal sense that I see my peers having. Maybe I crave that feeling of knowing what it's like to have a prolonged period of 'winning' and 'success,' even if it's just through the football club I support. I don't know. I'm hoping that one day soon, I just treat it like everything else, and see the big picture overall. Just hasn't happened yet.

Another Gen X who has backed the club since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

I feel similar though last year when we were losing and playing awful football, I would absolutely give my couch a pounding as the blood boiled.
Just laying in to it like a demented fool.

This week I don't feel too bad about it. But ask me in a few weeks time and it might be a different story.

Another Gen X who has backed the club since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

I feel similar though last year when we were losing and playing awful football, I would absolutely give my couch a pounding as the blood boiled.
Just laying in to it like a demented fool.

This week I don't feel too bad about it. But ask me in a few weeks time and it might be a different story.
So... you saying losing gets you wanting to make love to your couch..... passionately. :eek:

Last edited:
Righto, been an interesting 24 hours on the board. I thought I'd share perspective from a 41 y.o pov. I've been supporting the club since 1978. Was raised in a Richmond family. To say Richmond is in my dna is a fair understatement (much like a lot of posters here). Been a member for over 10 years and now my whole family are members. I coach junior sport (footy and cricket, and used to help my brother in tennis back in the 90's), and love it.
Here's the thing, over the last few years (and last year in particular), I find i am becoming emotionally detached a bit. Now, I don't know if the ASADA thing began to wear me down a bit, dunno. But, it was a strange thing yesterday. I watched the warm up, and I could see we didn't look "on". Missing passes, goal kicking looked s**t etc ,etc. I thought ok, seen this before, let's see where it goes. By 3/4 time, I wasn't anything. I wasn't upset, I honestly started thinking about my next possible investment and decided to have a laugh with a couple of mates. The result, I just found I didn't care enough about it.
Now, I don't know if I am getting older and are getting more perspective on life, and am looking at bigger picture stuff, but, I looked at my boy as we were heading out and said "don't worry about it mate, it's only footy. Let's see how we go next week." He agreed.
"It's only footy". A few years ago, those words would of never left my mouth. Now, they roll off the tongue pretty easy. The Tigers are lucky, I love this club like my body loves air. But, I now feel a detachment occurring. The wins are great, don't get me wrong, but, the losses don't hurt like they used to.
I read the passion here, and I laugh about some of it. I wish I could still feel the urge to go coco bananas like a few of you, but, really, the AFL treat us like chumps and lie to us, and our club treads water. Over 35 years of support, and this is where I am. I'm not angry, I'm just curious to see if there are any other older tigers (Gen X's) starting to feel this way or are already there.
On Dimma, I feel he and the club have done a great job to get the list and club into a really solid position. I reckon Dimma knows a lot about footy, and how things ought to go, but, he isn't the man to take us to the next level. He is a poor match day coach. And I do like him.

Captain Blood, I am 43, let me tell you its age, ha ha.

Nah, I am happy because of the McIntosh's efforts we are going okay. If we didn't have McIntosh lift and Vlastuin progress as well as pick up Hunt I would really be looking down.

Seriously, though I think a lot of any circumspect and less emotion can be put down to the AFL for me. Truth is Crows are really having a crack this year, they are more mature than us, Hawks still strong and others we are above 40/1 to win the big one this year with bookies and that might be generous. I think we are still building and provided we are still building and our players develop I do not fuss too much. There are 18 teams going around and form is up and down like a yo yo with many clubs still developing and well off the top end.

I noticed there is a new sack Hardwick thread so some are getting excited. But for me Gold Coast is exploding into a mess, Essendon fiasco is still tailing off, and over odd ball scenarios with West Coast losing there defenders for the year, things could be a lot worse. Looking on the bright side long term there could be some juicy GC or GWS targets end of year and or the draft so things are pretty much in line for me. I thought we were evens at best to make the 8 this year anyway so, for me, we are not in the window just at the moment to get too upset.

I do not mind slow and steady atm provided gems like McIntosh keep popping up. Even though I like Menadue I am more annoyed we didn't pick up Blakely to be honest.

I look at yesterdays game, and I think some of our players need to improve a lot for us to give the big one a real shake. So provided our development is progressing, I am happy enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50 here...reached your point some time ago...mid Plough years.

The Gale timeframe re-engaged me...this is like a third coming...I let go early 30's when the sprogs appeared.

I've been active over this loss...its hit hard...I was in Adelaide last year...I don't know why the playing group doesn't burn in shame and want to remove that stain on them (as opposed to the club). One option Im fast assuming to be a fact is that they can't.

The thing is...I'm happy to get better...I can wait...have waited 35 years now...makes me a little different from those born post 80.

But I am soul searching a little because I actually feel this is the best place the club has been off field in the past 50 years...so I feel they should not waste the chance to further strengthen the Footy Dept...coaches and players. Don't mind treading ground whilst we weed out the sub standard we needed on the journey to respect...the future drafts are now pure....begin the journey to success. Let's explore the 12/13 crop. Because yesterday happened last year...and threads abound that we will wipe the bums of the Dees and the Lions...what if we don't?

Groupie hasn't made it out of my dungeon yet to hit the keyboard. "spider caught a fly" last night.
On your original post i have never really been a melter myself, sure when the game is on i get into it and emotional but not long after i just get on with it. No point crying over spilt milk springs to mind.

On your original post i have never really been a melter myself, sure when the game is on i get into it and emotional but not long after i just get on with it. No point crying over spilt milk springs to mind.

Mate, I have had many white knuckle drive homes over the years. But, as time goes on, I'm just caring less.

Yeah this is a great thread. I feel the same way.. I must say yesterday we parked in the car park and driving home I was missing the walk to flinders st. The walk along the river and just how much of a great town Melbourne is usually chills me out a bit.

Sitting in the car listening to hacks tearing into U.S. Is not pleasant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd argue that your passion for the club is still just the same....the fact you started a thread says this :). I'm actually very much in the same boat, I still ride the highs and lows but I think there's worse stuff in the world that happens than losing a round 2 game. Yesterday sucked but I'm not fussed today, it's out of our control.

Yeah this is a great thread. I feel the same way.. I must say yesterday we parked in the car park and driving home I was missing the walk to flinders st. The walk along the river and just how much of a great town Melbourne is usually chills me out a bit.

Sitting in the car listening to hacks tearing into U.S. Is not pleasant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is a great thread.
Provides some balance to the 'let's burn this mother down' threads that takeover when we lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back