Autopsy I don't melt anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only those with an over inflated opinion of the quality of the side will melt. Those with an opinion of us being the 6th to 10th placed side we are, who on their day can beat top 4 sides but also lose to bottom four sides, don't melt. The game on Sat was rubbish, but all sides have them throughout the year. I'm thankful, and probably more hopeful, that we got our worst game out of the way in Round 2.

Im 24 and this year has definitely been a bit strange for me, not long ago a friend of mine passed away (at 20 years old) having battled cancer for a year or so. I think that whole ordeal put things in perspective, yes i love footy but really in the grand scheme of things it is insignificant. My love for the tigers hasnt waned, but ive definitely toned down how hard i take a bad loss, and how happy i get after a big win.

I think its important to understand that at the end of the day its really just a game, obviously the tigers winning a flag would be an absolutely amazing feeling, its really not the be all or end all. In saying all this, i still barrack as hard as i ever have during the match, and i cant see that stopping anytime soon.

Great thread... I'm 40yo and when I started supporting the club and going week in and week out on my own (Late 80s/Early 90s) I would come home from games spent, no voice, angry, would put me in a bad mood for the whole week. Imagine how good my years we're when we only won 4 games for the whole season!

Not sure if it's age, or if it's because my 11yo daughter and 6yo son now come to games with me, but I've mellowed. Years ago a game like Saturday would've had me pulling my hair out.

Don't get me wrong, I was frustrated cos I could see what the players were doing wrong, could see the traps they were getting sucked in to. But I left at the end of the game, listened to the post match reports on the radio in the car and just took it in my stride.

Instead of ranting and raving, I went out on Saturday night and when asked about the game I calmly recited what I saw, and gave my breakdown on what went wrong. And I've discovered that the less I carry on about a loss, the quicker my mates move on. When I lost my mind over losses they'd be give me the squirts for the whole week about it knowing I'd fire up... not anymore.

I still have the burn and the passion for the club, I believe it's a maturity thing in that what's important to us changes over time. Footy still makes up a lot of who I am, but I'm fortunate to have a lot of passions now that it doesn't control my life.

Yeah - good OP. I'm 48 and have seen the best days and decades of crap. I care, but don't lose too much sleep. I was very up for this year. But suspect this year is going to be on and off all over again. Oh well. Life goes on.

Getting a decent job is a bit more important than the tigers. But they are one of my good hobbies. Something to look at that isn't work/family life.

Through our s**t years I cared and got angry/sad so much more because I knew the players put in their all and that they just weren't good enough. Now I see players who perform well below their potential and look like they're not even trying, so its hard to feel anything but resigned to defeat.

I read this bit on the webpage, and it reminded me of this thread:

But it was a short story John published in the wake of last year’s deeply disappointing loss to Melbourne in the Tommy Hafey tribute game that sets him apart, endearingly, from most of the crowd. In one of the Club’s darkest hours, with emotions raw and hurt everywhere, he penned a piece, titled: “I love the Richmond Football Club’.

“Following Richmond has been difficult, a real test of character,” he wrote. “Some of the best memories growing up were of rare Tiger wins, ringing Nana and Pa and asking them to record the replay. I’d watch it the following Friday night when we’d go over for dinner. Stick with them Tiger fans. Thick and thin. What’s another 30 year wait? I love the Richmond Football Club. Go Tiges.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-04-22/oh-were-from-tigerland-john-carr

I reckon this bloke's non-melt after the Hafey game disgrace would be like your Mum saying "I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed." So much worse to cop than rage.

A detached persona means you miss out on riding all the highs and lows which comes with being a passionate supporter

Not sure anyone on here is "detached".

IMO, anger is a pretty shallow emotion. When I feeling genuinely, deeply low, it's usually when I stay calm and let the true nature of a ****ed situation really sink in.

A rant and rave blows off the steam, and I feel ok again soon, although a little embarrassed about behaving like a pork chop.

Not sure anyone on here is "detached".

IMO, anger is a pretty shallow emotion. When I feeling genuinely, deeply low, it's usually when I stay calm and let the true nature of a stuffed situation really sink in.

A rant and rave blows off the steam, and I feel ok again soon, although a little embarrassed about behaving like a pork chop.

Haven't read everyones take on this but cb17 stated that he indeed was become emotionally detached from it and outlined a number of possible reasons for why this was so

As I've stated, I actually feel most passionate when I feel the extremes highs and lows that come with the game
If i wanted numbing indifference or detachment I'd go watch golf

Sometimes I still find myself brooding for a day or 2 over losses, but I pick myself up & try to remember. It's harder on the players as they have to sit through reviews & crits by peers & coaches. Then I reflect on the many ways I am fortunate, gain a little better perspective & TRY to let the disappointment go......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'm a lunatic at the footy. Ride every play but love it. Love pointing out KMac in the warm to the kids. "Have a look at this fella, look at the build for a winger. Lets watch him today and not get too upset if he turns it over a bit, it's his first game". And we've been doing this for the last 5 years, identifying the new players, focussing on them for development reasons which takes your attention off win/loss, esp when we're not going so well.
Just a great day at the footy. But now the expectations have gone up a lot, so I'm more frustrated at games like Dogs where we should now just win and move on, like a good side.

Worse at home watching tv. At least at the game you can sort of see things unfold and get a feel for the game. At home I feel totally helpless, and my language can be heard by everyone, including neighbours. Not good in front of the kids.

Haven't read everyones take on this but cb17 stated that he indeed was become emotionally detached from it and outlined a number of possible reasons for why this was so

As I've stated, I actually feel most passionate when I feel the extremes highs and lows that come with the game
If i wanted numbing indifference or detachment I'd go watch golf

Yeah, I can see that. I was thinking anyone who can be arsed posting on a forum is probably closer to attached than detached.

Yeah, I can see that. I was thinking anyone who can be arsed posting on a forum is probably closer to attached than detached.

Interesting post.May be another thread?? "Why can you be arsed posting on an internet forum??" :)

Ok I'll bite. Why is she in a hurry ?

No, she is the inspiration behind Steel Panthers "bukkake tears".

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

I have been wanting to join the team here on board for a while. Kept on putting it off just reading opinions. Disagreeing with a few and agreeing a whole heap with others. This thread bought the bacon home for me in a strange sort of way. I'm in my late 40's, was irrational in my support of this club we love for so long. I'll even put it out there that I wrote to them in my late teens asking to be looked on as a potential player. I loved the club, still do but over the years my frustration over their on field performance has turned into acceptance, my anger into a chi type attitude. Of course I have my moments but overall it is a more balanced approach to what I had as a 20 something even a 30 something year old.

The AFL as they are now are a business, an entertainment. Players come and go. I can watch a game now and still be excited but our team just has been going through the motions for so long now. I'm glad I got the opportunity to watch the great 1980 Grannie next to my Collingwood dad sitting on the couch at home pumping out the Tiger theme song afterwards. The game has changed in so many ways since then.

I love my tigers but I am more detached now then ever emotionally. And it encompasses the direction of the AFL, our own plight as a club over this rollercoaster ride and that is without going into the drug scandal. I can watch a game like last night and go well, that is the way it is right now. No anger, no frustration, just acceptance. Maybe that is just getting older. I'm a member, have been for years but what ever the case I will still support the club when I can financially. I just don't have the radical emotional support like I used to. Maybe that is a good thing right now especially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back