Scape Goat I feel that Chris Scott has conceded the season!

Remove this Banner Ad

catman 71

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It was reported on 3AW on Sunday that the Geelong players still believe that they can win the flag this year, but Chris Scott is planning long-term, rather than focus on this season.

Now, I am not going to knock a man who coached us to a flag last year, and think that he is wise to plan long-term, but there seems to be too many distractions getting in the way, and Scott should stop them.

One is the Gold Coast sojourn. It worked last year, but we hadn't lost a game at that stage. This year, we were struggling for finals. Also flying to Adelaide to chase Travis Boak, when he is needed here to work out why we lost to Collingwood, and how to beat Essendon.

When you're winning, these things are fine, but when you're losing, every action of the coach is scrutinised. That's just how it goes.

Chris Scott needs to put all other things on the backburner, and, while we are still a finals chance, try to get us as high up the ladder as possible. The future is important, but so is today, and we need to start winning again, and getting back to where we were, and Scott is the key to doing that.

I don't blame him for the injuries or loss of form of players, and playing new players can help us, but Scott's No. 1 priority is to get us winning games, get as high up the ladder as possible, and then compete to win another flag.

What he needs to do is coach like he did last year. He still blooded youngsters, but also played most of our premiership players as well. It was a good mix. I know that he has been forced to play more youngsters, but maybe we are playing too many at once, at the expense of wins.

Scott should be focusing on tomorrow night and beating Essendon, not flying over to Adelaide to entice a player which we may not get.

This is why out-of-contract players shouldn't be spoken to within the season.

ahjeez.jpg

What he needs to do is coach like he did last year. He still blooded youngsters, but also played most of our premiership players as well. It was a good mix. I know that he has been forced to play more youngsters, but maybe we are playing too many at once, at the expense of wins.
What premiership players aren't playing seniors? Beside injuries isn't Byrnes the only one? If you haven't realised we've had that many stars retire over the past years that these new faces that you're seeing every week are going to be the main-stayers in the not too distant future. *, lets get excited about the future.

I disagree I'm afraid Catman. I have nothing but respect for Chris Scott and the way he's going about everything.

I can understand how the Boak situation looks bad, but if they were over there for a very fleeting visit, surely there's ample time to digest the loss to the Pies. I think it was the right choice to meet with Boak, and as they have explained, it seems as though Port want him to make his decision soon, so the option of waiting until the conclusion of the season could have decided in Boak sticking with Port. Let's hope that's not the case.

Also, with the Gold Coast trip, it has been suggested that this was not a casual trip, rather, one that was very intensive. As other posters have pointed out, obviously they weren't at theme parks and swimming the whole time.

I say good on Chris Scott for breaking the moulds and doing what he thinks is good not only for now, but also the future.

It was reported on 3AW on Sunday that the Geelong players still believe that they can win the flag this year, but Chris Scott is planning long-term, rather than focus on this season.

Now, I am not going to knock a man who coached us to a flag last year, and think that he is wise to plan long-term, but there seems to be too many distractions getting in the way, and Scott should stop them.

One is the Gold Coast sojourn. It worked last year, but we hadn't lost a game at that stage. This year, we were struggling for finals. Also flying to Adelaide to chase Travis Boak, when he is needed here to work out why we lost to Collingwood, and how to beat Essendon.

When you're winning, these things are fine, but when you're losing, every action of the coach is scrutinised. That's just how it goes.

Chris Scott needs to put all other things on the backburner, and, while we are still a finals chance, try to get us as high up the ladder as possible. The future is important, but so is today, and we need to start winning again, and getting back to where we were, and Scott is the key to doing that.

I don't blame him for the injuries or loss of form of players, and playing new players can help us, but Scott's No. 1 priority is to get us winning games, get as high up the ladder as possible, and then compete to win another flag.

Scott should be focusing on tomorrow night and beating Essendon, not flying over to Adelaide to entice a player which we may not get.

Who else can he play that is experienced and not either injured or suspended,Hogan that's about it.
Your got what ya got and you do your best.

To quick for me AR and I think Byrnes has picked up another injury.

Please name a premiership player who is fit and available and hasn't been selected? Byrnes would be the only one and I can't see much use in playing him, I really doubt he'd produce more than the kids we are playing. If Scott was really ready to just play the kids and concede the season there are a number of senior guys who would have been dropped to the VFL by now. Other than playing Youngster X instead of Youngster Y (and I'd be nitpicking if I argued which kids to select seeing as I don't watch the VFL) I can't see how he could really pick a better team at this stage. His only alternative really is to drop the older guys like Stokes & Corey.

Honestly, with regards to the trip to Adelaide, that many hours of a week to come do you think it is going to change much in his review of Collingwood and eventual preparations for Essendon?

One would think not.

But that one isn't you.

Now, I am not going to knock a man who coached us to a flag last year, and think that he is wise to plan long-term, but

Haha...here we go.

One is the Gold Coast sojourn. It worked last year, but we hadn't lost a game at that stage. This year, we were struggling for finals.

Pure crap. You've been told this is crap previously, yet continue to persist with it. The early trip to Queensland last year came before the Brisbane game, not the Gold Coast. Coming off two straight losses, no less. And when do you think they planned these trips? They were locked in and prepared for it before the season started, I promise you. Therefore, the form leading up to the week is irrelevant. What are they going to do, cancel the flight and booking because they haven't played well enough?

Ok, so which players would you take out of the side that is named for Friday night and which players would you put in? Byrnes and Hogan are the only players with meaningful AFL experience who are currently missing out and Byrnes was injured last week.

Why? Bartel is not playing anyway. Selwood has probably already won our best and fairest and will do his job tomorrow night, as he always does. Scotty could have easily done his review before they flew out and the team wouldn't have gone through it until Monday. It might be the difference between getting Boak and not getting Boak. If not, I'm pretty confident in saying there's no harm done. It's a complete non-issue.

I disagree I'm afraid Catman. I have nothing but respect for Chris Scott and the way he's going about everything.

I can understand how the Boak situation looks bad, but if they were over there for a very fleeting visit, surely there's ample time to digest the loss to the Pies. I think it was the right choice to meet with Boak, and as they have explained, it seems as though Port want him to make his decision soon, so the option of waiting until the conclusion of the season could have decided in Boak sticking with Port. Let's hope that's not the case.

Also, with the Gold Coast trip, it has been suggested that this was not a casual trip, rather, one that was very intensive. As other posters have pointed out, obviously they weren't at theme parks and swimming the whole time.

I say good on Chris Scott for breaking the moulds and doing what he thinks is good not only for now, but also the future.

A Kent Kingsley avatar... Now I've seen it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 2 years back i was in a op shop in Ballarat, and spotted this gutsy jacket. i tried it on. Was bit bigger in the shoulders but i liked the colour, was a navy blue pin stripe. i took it off and held it out in front of me to admire. It looked good and i spotted a cats logo on the front. Wow i thought, what have i found here. I looked in on the tag. and yep you guessed it K.Kingsley. I had KIngsley jacket in this op shop in my hands. So i tossed it back on the rack and walked out.

Could not falter how Chris Scott is going about it. OP hurts my head.

Regardless of how we played, Scotty has always been measured, honest, realistic, and optimistic. I've never questioned anything he's said. Even when he is asked if Cats can win the flag, he just keeps positive.

This man has many great times ahead at our footy club. Just because we are having an off (for lack of a better word) year, it doesn't mean we throw him under the bus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back