I find my lack of faith disturbing - a confession.

Remove this Banner Ad

GHamsandwich

Senior List
Aug 30, 2009
The Ghetto
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sacramento Rivercats
I have a confession, and frankly after the weekend's events I need to admit to it and cop it from all and sundry for my lack of faith.

In late 2001 when it came out that we were considering trading Trent Croad to get Freo's number one pick - I was downright horrified! I felt it was a terrible decision trading one of our best players, one who almost put us into the grand final that year, for some kid who may or may not turn out to be a good player. I wasn't one of those who signed a petition or protested outside Glenferrie, but I complained bitterly that it was a bad call.

From 2002 onwards, when Chris Judd burst onto the scene looking like an all conquering hero, I felt we'd now made two horrible mistakes, trading Croad, and then wasting the number one pick on some kid who couldn't even get on the park. Even when Hodge did make his debut, I was very unimpressed with what I saw - I derisively referred to him as 'Superman' and felt he may well end up being our Richard Lounder.

I'm not sure if I've ever been more wrong. Sorry Hodgey.

Round 2 2011 - Hawthorn vs Melbourne at the MCG. At half time we trailed the Dees 8.2 to 3.13. After a horrible 2009, and a not much better 2010 season - I proclaimed to all in earshot that if we lost this game Clarkson had to go. Of course, we kicked 13 goals to 4 in the second half and won by 45 points.... and all that other stuff that has happened since.

I was wrong to doubt Clarko. Sorry Clarko.

I'm sorry fellow Hawks fans.

I have a confession, and frankly after the weekend's events I need to admit to it and cop it from all and sundry for my lack of faith.

In late 2001 when it came out that we were considering trading Trent Croad to get Freo's number one pick - I was downright horrified! I felt it was a terrible decision trading one of our best players, one who almost put us into the grand final that year, for some kid who may or may not turn out to be a good player. I wasn't one of those who signed a petition or protested outside Glenferrie, but I complained bitterly that it was a bad call.

From 2002 onwards, when Chris Judd burst onto the scene looking like an all conquering hero, I felt we'd now made two horrible mistakes, trading Croad, and then wasting the number one pick on some kid who couldn't even get on the park. Even when Hodge did make his debut, I was very unimpressed with what I saw - I derisively referred to him as 'Superman' and felt he may well end up being our Richard Lounder.

Round 2 2011 - Hawthorn vs Melbourne at the MCG. At half time we trailed the Dees 8.2 to 3.13. After a horrible 2009, and a not much better 2010 season - I proclaimed to all in earshot that if we lost this game Clarkson had to go. Of course, we kicked 13 goals to 4 in the second half and won by 45 points.... and all that other stuff that has happened since.

I forgive you.

I have to admit that I got sucked in by the media hype around Sydney to the point where I went into the game expecting the worse, but hoping for the best. I was convinced Buddy was going to get off the chain and kick a huge bag, their outside speed was going too much for us, they would destroy us around the ball etc.

I'm glad the boys had more faith in themselves than I did

Read the Gospel of Luke Hodge again and all shall be forgiven.

Ironically, the Hun yesterday as a letter from an elderly Essendon supporter imploring Bomber fans to remain loyal to Hird & club. Surely was a troll letter.

As penance, sing the club song 3 (more) times, and change your av to Clarko.

(While we're confessing, I thought we were 100% gone at 3/4 time in last year's prelim, and at half time in 2012. Both times, even when we started coming back I didn't start to believe again until we hit the front.)

Spangher forgives you for your sins.

142809_suppday4.jpg

I'm very sorry to Jarryd Roughead who after the 2012 finals campaign I felt wasn't stepping up, and failed repeatedly on the big stage. I was part of the small chorus suggesting he move back to the ruck or CHB because he wasn't cut out to be a key forward.

Rough, can you forgive me?

Better to openly express your doubts than to repress them. We aren't Essendon, we don't demand hardline dedication to towing the party line at all times.

You've nothing to apologize for as far as I'm concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better to openly express your doubts than to repress them. We aren't Essendon, we don't demand hardline dedication to towing the party line at all times.

You've nothing to apologize for as far as I'm concerned.
That would be because you yourself have spent a massive time bagging out Clarko after every loss! :D

Its all good mate.......we just won another flag. WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I think a lot of Hawks fans raised their eyebrows when Croad was traded, but when I saw Hodge play, I had no doubt he was the man for us, no matter how the media carried on about Judd. Nothing has happened to make me change my mind, and everything that has happened since 2008 has only strengthened my conviction.

I have no way of ever proving this, but IMHO, had we taken Judd or Ball ahead of Hodge, we'd still be seeking our first flag since 1991.

I have to admit that I got sucked in by the media hype around Sydney to the point where I went into the game expecting the worse, but hoping for the best. I was convinced Buddy was going to get off the chain and kick a huge bag, their outside speed was going too much for us, they would destroy us around the ball etc.

I'm glad the boys had more faith in themselves than I did

Imho even if we had lost the 2014 GF, our very best on the day is still plenty enough to seriously trouble the best clubs in the AFL. (and it was proven on Saturday 27.09.2014)

I probably sound biased in saying that we battled hard throughout the year under sometimes, very difficult circumstances. We were somehow able to cover losses and fill gaps. If someone was down on output a little, someone else stepped up. That is what these lads do for each other. That is an Alastair Clarkson non-negotiable.

On the Saturday that has just passed there was not such a need for covering, filling in or making do. There was a full team to pick from and they were rearing to go and the Coach was as fit as a Mallee Bull.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Kennett seemed keen to move Alastair Clarkson on. A thought process that is now diabolical.

Kennett did good things for the club but its a message to all presidents to leave football decisions to football people.

Jason Dunstall was the man in Clarkos corner. Even had to stand up to Dermie when Derm was pushing for Ayres in the beginning.

He has had a big impact at the club has Dunstall.

I was also at that game and lost my voice with the elation of that third term.. 8.9 to 1 goal iirc. And yes, Clarko was on knifes edge.

Kennett seemed keen to move Alastair Clarkson on. A thought process that is now diabolical.

Kennett did good things for the club but its a message to all presidents to leave football decisions to football people.

Jason Dunstall was the man in Clarkos corner. Even had to stand up to Dermie when Derm was pushing for Ayres in the beginning.

Our mate Jeffo was a bit prone to playing the pollie part still.

Mainly being a bit inflammatory and reactionary.

Thank goodness JD isnt and neither is our esteemed coach.

Love the way Jeff wears his heart on his sleeve for the club but.

I think he was interviewed on the radio after a Round One game against Geelong, as was not happy that it looked like nothing had changed from the year before, i.e. not learning from mistakes. I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed about the same thing, without regard to the scoreline.

I never really didn't have faith in the boys but thought it was going to be a challenge, have a lot of respect for the Sydney team if not how it was formed.

Honestly though my biggest fear was Reid being dropped, bloke is just a massive spud and with him, Tippett & Old Man Goodes it was just too much for Sydney to handle.

Maybe but I think one of the biggest dangers in football is to rest on your laurels, Clarkson was criticized and challenged rightfully so but the right decision was made.

Teams that just sit there and think 'natural progression' of their players will get them anywhere and just asking for mediocrity of which we apparently accept none :)

Our mate Jeffo was a bit prone to playing the pollie part still.

Mainly being a bit inflammatory and reactionary.

Thank goodness JD isnt and neither is our esteemed coach.

Love the way Jeff wears his heart on his sleeve for the club but.

You got that right!

The pollie's way is very simple:
1. Take the credit when all is going well;
2. Blame someone else when things go pear-shaped.

Jeff is/was a master of both!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back