I like GWS but hate Gold Coast. Anyone feel the same?

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess however the biggest thing is I look at Ablett and think what a waste. I hate the fact the best player in the league is at a club that has no chance in hell of winning a flag before his career winds down. GWS also seem to have a better team spirit and hunger for the contest

In general GWS inclusion has been good, Gold Coasts has been s**t. Agree?

Not sure about this, there's enough young talent there to still suggest they'll be decent in 3-4 years. Not sure what the fascination is with everyone trying to lock in how things will go in the next 5 years...West Coast last year and Essendon this year have proven how quickly things can change.

Apart from the $$, Ablett would have seen the challenge he was going to face up there and I'm sure that was part of the attraction. A long way to go, but no need to write them off.

I don't know why but GWS feel more like a real team. The jumpers that Gold Coast wore makes them feel like a cheap manufactured product.

Both teams are manufactured product. There was no demand for them. There is compartively little interest in them, the only reason the other clubs acceded to them is because Demetriou threw a s***load of money at them.

They ain't "cheap" manufactured product though

Hate GWS. 'Greater' Western Sydney, WTF does that even mean?

Well it's a common term used to describe a larger area or region, such as "City of Greater Geelong", for example. Pretty straight forward I would have thought..

gold coast over gws because im a queenslander.

Officially now

1. Carlton
2. Brisbane
3. Gold Coast
4. GWS
5-15. Everyone else but
16. Port Adelaide
17. Adelaide
18. Collingwood

Im a Queenslander 2 but still hate Brisbane and GC. Sick of having to watch there pathetic bottom 4 games on TV instead of games that might have some meaning in it. :mad:

Both teams are manufactured product. There was no demand for them. There is compartively little interest in them, the only reason the other clubs acceded to them is because Demetriou threw a s***load of money at them.

Yeah but Gold Coast look like a cheap manufactured product. At least GWS have distinctive colours, which I kind of associate with Wests Tigers. So it makes me think of Western Sydney. And while they suck they are playing physical football. When I watch Gold Coast play I feel nothing really. I feel no distinctive culture, they have yet to find an identity.

Something about the giants I also like, even though they stole our next captain! :(

Anyone thought of a combined GWS/GC team? I'd have somethig like..

B: Mohr Davis Bugg
HB: Harbrow Bock Cornes
C: Swallow Rischitelli Scully
HF: Coniglio Cameron Bennel
F: Matera Patton Power
R: Giles Ablett Ward
B: Greene Z.Smith McKenzie McDonald

*Havent put the Jeager bomb in there.

Yeah but Gold Coast look like a cheap manufactured product.
You talking about the footy team or their tacky city?

whoops did I say that

btw despising the crows is natural, however I cant stand Carlton so the feeling is mutual. I dont really mind Collingwood

Well it's a common term used to describe a larger area or region, such as "City of Greater Geelong", for example. Pretty straight forward I would have thought..

Greater Western Sydney sounds like a term the Australian bureau of statistics would use, or maybe some geographic terminology. It doesnt sound like a city, suburb or any kind of community grouping that would pull people together.
Remember its a club made up by the AFL marketing gurus. It will take a long time, if ever, for many people to identify with it.
People who live away from the inner city identify with Penrith, Liverpool, Bankstown, Campbeltown, Blacktown Canberra etc, Not Greater Western Sydney. They dont like being labelled as 'Westies'. Thats what GWS sounds like.
They should just have called it the Sydney Giants IHMO.
I dont dislike GWS or GC. They just dont mean much to me in any case. They are the AFL's own clubs.

Greater Western Sydney sounds like a term the Australian bureau of statistics would use, or maybe some geographic terminology. It doesnt sound like a city, suburb or any kind of community grouping that would pull people together.

sounds the same as West Coast to me and they seem to have managed

wish coniglio was at the eagles :heart:

GWS have better young talent, great midfield in 4 years and better key position players. They also picked younger players to poach from other clubs like ward and scully.

I'm apathetic towards the two of them. Because... y'know... they're not my team. If you put a gun to my head I'd say I prefer GWS though. I've still got a lot of time for Sheeds (especially since he's as far away from Essendon as possible at the minute), and they're just plain nastier. Got more of a genuine attitude, I guess. They put their heads over the ball and have that sort of nuggety endeavour that is good to watch.

Like GWS.....mainly for its critical historical link to footy... Tom Wills and Henry Harrison and the fact that this then links the game to so many other aspects of the cultural characteristics of Australia. Sorry to sound academic but it is Australia's game and as such it's great to be able to clearly draw connections to early Sydney, convicts, aboriginal history, outback, goldrush etc etc... Must admit previously hated Kevin Sheedy at Richmond and Essendon but now I am an avid supporter.....he obviously has great knowledge and passion for the game that goes well beyond your average AFL fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Codswallop. There was and is a market for both teams just like there was and is a market for Carlton from their beginning.

I prefer GWS for several reasons. Firstly I grew up in the GWS area so have an attachment to the area. Secondly, the Sheedy factor. Thirdly their jumper is so much better than the Gold Coast. The Suns jumper is the worst in the AFL by a long shot. Simply terrible. I saw someone with a Suns jumper on walking down the street the other day and all I could think was, "s**t that looks hideous".

It means the ugly red and white swans will need to watch your backs.
You have collingwood mark2 in your backyard
They will take a majority of the nsw supporters and steal your sponsors, they will have a better record than you in 10 years too.
Be afraid little swanette be very afraid!

Uh, okay.

Coniglio, Cameron, Giles, Bugg, Geeene, Shiels, Townsend have all won me over so far :heart:

Bennell and D.Swallow are the only Gold Coast youngsters to win me over. Prestia would be close but he turns it over too much

Jaeger has won me over too from what I've seen, not to mention Zac Smith, Liam Patrick, Aaron Hall, Josh Caddy, there are others.

It means the ugly red and white swans will need to watch your backs.
You have collingwood mark2 in your backyard
They will take a majority of the nsw supporters and steal your sponsors, they will have a better record than you in 10 years too.
Be afraid little swanette be very afraid!

Steady on

I'm with the OP. Like the team, like the idea of them getting their older brigade of delists to help out for a while. I respect Sheeds and Williams as coaches. The jumper is attractive and I live in the area. Go Giants, exept when playing the Tiges!

Suns, meh!

Gold Coast without Ablett is decent to watch. Just feels like they are padding Gary Ablett stats whenever he plays.

Codswallop.

As far as I see it, Ablett was an elite player at Geelong, he has actually got better at Gold Coast. Why I think he has got better is that he has had to develop leadership skills, and he aint doing too bad.

How do we assess these two teams ?. Gold Coast won three games in their first season, what do we say if GWS only win one game in their first season ?.

Gold Coast have 2nd year blues ?.

For me I like both sides, just think Bluey should never have been given the senior job.

I can't stand either of them. Ravaged the draft for everyone else for two years; been given outrageous concessions that other 'expansion' teams could only have dreamt about that could ultimately make them powerhouses of the comp in 5 or so years, much to the complete apathy of the people living in the areas they 'represent'; skewed the fixture for a lucky couple of teams who draw both these clubs twice a season in the next couple of years to go potentially an extra 8 premiership points ahead of other finals contenders; have compromised the integrity of the competition by skewing the draw as such and diluting the talent pool even further... Hate them both TBH.

I refuse to watch either team. They're not AFL standard and they didn't even try to be, so why would I waste my time? I avoid eating McDonalds because it is s**t food. I avoid watching games involving GWS and Gold Coast because it is s**t football.

I think it's fitting that Chip Scablett has doomed himself to playing for a bottom club. What a waste of talent! No doubt, he'll take enormous satisfaction from his meaningless awards and piles of cash while his former teammates battle on without him.

The most disappointing thing about these new clubs is they made no effort to trade any of their draft picks for ready-made players. The AFL supposedly gave them extra concessions so they could do just that, but they elected to hold onto their picks and stock-pile as much young talent as they could. They did so deliberately, knowing they would be uncompetitive for their first 2-3 seasons. But I think they've outsmarted themselves.

Hopefully the established clubs ravage their lists once their talented kids come out of contract. Bugger them if they think we're just going to watch on in envy while they sit on a goldmine of young talent and slowly develop a powerhouse team.

No doubt the AFL will step in and give them extra money and salary cap concessions. The AFL thinks the best way to build a good football club is to hand them a premiership in their early years like they did with West Coast, Adelaide and Port Adelaide.

I note Furuncle does not mention the early flag success of Fremantle, who signed away young talent for successful players, or of the Brisbane Bears, who entered with a ready-made team of castoffs and spuds, Im sorry *experienced players*.

I also note he does not mention how players like Leon Davis made it clear they werent going to GWS, even when off contract, and his acute lack of deals of the alleged established players for draft picks deals that GWS rejected (after what happened with Rischatelli, clubs realised shopping their good players for picks had major risks).

I'll break it to you quietly - the good players didnt want to go to GWS, and we paid massive overs for Scully, Ward and Davis.

As to being uncompetitive, I recommend reading this thread, around pages 8 to 10. That would be halftime at the Carlton game, where the Blues - who think they are a top 4 side - were leading by 2 goals, until we ran out of big bodies and bench via injuries.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941577&page=10

So, in short, Furuncle is the kind of useless spud whose hate I look forward to relishing for many years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back