I like GWS but hate Gold Coast. Anyone feel the same?

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS jumper has been altered, there's an extra orange T at the bottom, looks alright though.

Reckon GWS will give the Brisbane Lions a scare next week.

I am very familiar with GC and GWS concessions could someone enlighten me to what Port and Freo got when they entered?

All i know is Port got Lade P.Burgoyne, Tredrea, Wilson and James from some kind of zone selection not the national draft.

Despite being a lifelong WCE supporter, im a New South Welshman/Canberran at heart, so naturally the Swans and GWS are next closest to my heart.
Loved the way the club was developing, and I love charcoal, and think it goes well with the orange. However, I never liked Sheeds, Williams, Cornes, Brogan and Folau, so I didnt renew my foundation membership this year.

Still, GWS are very likeable, they contest the footy and have a hard edge. They actually remind me of past Essendon and Port sides, so I know I'll absolutely hate them when they're up the top of the ladder, but for now I appreciate how competitive they are at the contest.

GC I see as being more capable of brilliance every now and then, but GWS will have more fans (and haters) in the long run.

Grew up near the Gold Coast, and although I think the city has the highest concentration of w***ers of any city on the planet, they are my second time.

As for GWS, I hated them because of all the Scully bullshit, but as soon as they started playing I quite like them, obviously partially because of the underdog thing, but also other reasons, such as James McDonald etc. And after the first 7 rounds, I don't even begrudge Scully leaving, so I am not even hating on him anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure the people in Canberra, Goulburn and surrounding areas would love to feel you in on your ignorance.

Canberra's part of Sydney now, is it?

GWS are a marketing exercise masquerading as a football team.

There was no demand for them, and if pitiful crowd numbers are any indication, no interest in them from the "area" they putatively represent.

Thats the ACT edition of the jumper.

Ah, I was wondering what the t stood for. Thanks to Google:

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/giants-unveil-2012-act-home-guernsey.html

The players presented a jumper to the winner of the competition John Gerrard, whose design features an image of Canberra’s iconic Black Mountain Tower, as well as jumpers to a number of the GIANTS’ 2011 foundation members.

Can't say I really see it:

1598274.jpg

Fair to say I can't stand either, being of the strong opinion that both are artificially-contrived plastic test-tube entities, and that neither belong in our game.

Especially since far as money and attendances go, for a tiny fraction of the money being ploughed willy-nilly into G€ and GW$, the AFL could reinstate Fitzroy and restore us to the robust health we were in back in 1984 - that being the year before the AFL's whiteanting campaign against our club commenced in earnest. And be assured of having a competitive team, with decent attendances.

Bringing a lot of passionate supporters of the game, who walked away from the AFL permanently because of what was done to the Roys, back to the league in the process, along with the positive revenue outcomes that would flow from that.

(Also there's the ease with which a club could have been brought in from Tasmania, another base of longstanding traditional support)

So, to reiterate the call I've made many times before...

bringbackfitzroy.png

Fair to say I can't stand either, being of the strong opinion that both are artificially-contrived plastic test-tube entities, and that neither belong in our game.

Agree 100%.

I can't believe how many otherwise intelligent, discerning posters on BF have swallowed Vlad's Kool Aid when it comes to these two unwanted pseudo-teams

Opposite. I think its just pure Sheedy dislike and Folau disapproval

Especially since far as money and attendances go, for a tiny fraction of the money being ploughed willy-nilly into G€ and GW$, the AFL could reinstate Fitzroy and restore us to the robust health we were in back in 1984 - that being the year before the AFL's whiteanting campaign against our club commenced in earnest. And be assured of having a competitive team, with decent attendances.

Bringing a lot of passionate supporters of the game, who walked away from the AFL permanently because of what was done to the Roys, back to the league in the process, along with the positive revenue outcomes that would flow from that.

(Also there's the ease with which a club could have been brought in from Tasmania, another base of longstanding traditional support)

So, to reiterate the call I've made many times before...

bringbackfitzroy.png

Sorry but GWS > GC > Royboys.

As sad as it was we let go and move on. :thumbsu:

Yeah, how many walked away permanently post-Fitzroy? How many were added with Port, Freo, GC and GWS?

Agree 100%.

I can't believe how many otherwise intelligent, discerning posters on BF have swallowed Vlad's Kool Aid when it comes to these two unwanted pseudo-teams

Life/the world/whatever is constantly changing & I feel a bit sorry for those that cant embrace that change.

Anyone who denies that GWS as brought a certain energy to the comp that wasnt there last year is very short-sighted imho.

Sorry but...

Not particularly, no.

And of course, it wasn't just Fitzroy supporters the AFL worked so hard to abandon during those years, it was any real hope of establishing a genuine long-term base in Canberra as well.

If we'd not been prevented by the AFL from completing the deal we had signed, sealed and delivered in Canberra back in '95, the AFL would now have a strong and enduring support base in the ACT, with good regular crowds, comparable to or better than anything Hawthorn have achieved in Tasmania.

Moreover, if we were back in the comp and had things as heavily slanted in our favour as can be said for the GW$ and Gold €oa$t franchises right now, our attendances, and membership, would be a Christ of a lot higher than anything GW$ and G€ are getting, that's for sure.

Life/the world/whatever is constantly changing & I feel a bit sorry for those that cant embrace that change.

Anyone who denies that GWS as brought a certain energy to the comp that wasnt there last year is very short-sighted imho.
Society is littered with people who lack foresight. I'd suggest bluemarq belongs in that category given his hysteria at the inclusion of GWS which I am sure will prove viable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back