Universal Love I miss Bernie..

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it would be reasonable to suggest that there was anything remarkable about his form of 2013. A far shadow from his form of 2009.
Perhaps some of us didn't have our rose coloured glasses on unlike some???

Did I say it was as good as 2009?

His 2013 was still a good season. Averaging 20+ touches when you deliver them at the quality he did when he was essentially our M6 (Behind Danger, Sloane, Douglas, Crouch & Thommo) by season's end is a decent effort. He's now the M2 at another club and benefiting from more time on the ball.

Suggesting that he played well last year isn't looking at it with rose coloured glasses it is just being on point, it was his best year since 2009 and at the end of last year I think you'll find most people would have agreed with me.

Miss him around the club! Truly hope he gets a nice cheer from the crowd on Saturday, anything less will be a disgrace.
I'm going to BOOOOO the talented but lazy *er!

We need to make him feel as uncomfortable as possible. Don't want him settling in nicely and playing a blinder against us.

…Although I do still love Bernie.

Didn't Bernie get dropped at one stage last season?

Dropped for 1 game in round 4, he was back in by round 5 and played well from that point onwards.

It was still his best season since 2009.

The weird thing was that it was his most consistent season. Spent most of the year hovering between 19-25 touches.

I'm going to BOOOOO the talented but lazy goose!

We need to make him feel as uncomfortable as possible. Don't want him settling in nicely and playing a blinder against us.

…Although I do still love Bernie.
Won't make a difference if he has a blinder or not we should still win comfortably.

I'm going to the game and will be cheering him on. Still love the guy and that will never change.

Did I say it was as good as 2009?

His 2013 was still a good season. Averaging 20+ touches when you deliver them at the quality he did when he was essentially our M6 (Behind Danger, Sloane, Douglas, Crouch & Thommo) by season's end is a decent effort. He's now the M2 at another club and benefiting from more time on the ball.

Suggesting that he played well last year isn't looking at it with rose coloured glasses it is just being on point, it was his best year since 2009 and at the end of last year I think you'll find most people would have agreed with me.
I think you almost defeat yourself here.

Our 6th string mid having his second best year - and we convert him to pick 23 AND we convert 23 to a slider that looks like being better than 6th string for about 200 games.

Shhhhh.... You're making our admin look genius

I think you almost defeat yourself here.

Our 6th string mid having his second best year - and we convert him to pick 23 AND we convert 23 to a slider that looks like being better than 6th string for about 200 games.

Shhhhh.... You're making our admin look genius

Except that I'm not disagreeing with the decision to trade him. I haven't defeated myself at all because you made up a point I never brought up.

I recognise that Crouch is a great acquisition for the future and has far more value long term. But that doesn't change the fact that Bernie was good last year.

He showcased his weapons and they were attractive enough to a club that needed him more than us. Everyone wins here.

Except maybe Bernie who got booted from the club he loves. Which is why many here still like him.

Except that I'm not disagreeing with the decision to trade him. I haven't defeated myself at all because you made up a point I never brought up.

I recognise that Crouch is a great acquisition for the future and has far more value long term. But that doesn't change the fact that Bernie was good last year.

He showcased his weapons and they were attractive enough to a club that needed him more than us. Everyone wins here.

Except maybe Bernie who got booted from the club he loves. Which is why many here still like him.
Fair enough:thumbsu:

I love Bernie. A great guy and part of the footy fabric died the day we traded him BUT purely from a "business" perspective, it was the right decision.

We needed to trade back into the draft to try and regenerate the list with some decent youth and were not prepared to part with real guns so Bernie was the obvious one that had some currency and he had some similar type players on the list as potential replacements (Grigg).

On top of that, at the end of this season, Bernie would have been an unrestricted free agent who was going to get big offers no doubt. Clubs over in Melbourne LOVE him! He got a huge 4 year deal from Melbourne ($450k a season) which there is no way we should match so we would have lost him for nothing.

Bernie was also stagnating a bit and needed a change of scenery for his own sake. This was the right call for both parties which doesn't make it any easier.

I absolutely love Vince and I find myself watching Melbourne games when I get a chance or at the very worst checking my phone to see how Bernie performed on the day. Amongst supporters, he will always be much loved no doubt about it. Same can be said about his now former team mates.

I saw a news tidbit about him wondering if he will get booed! Fear not Bernie I am sure that you will not be booed...it fact you might get some appreciative cheers from supporter base that still very much has a soft spot for you and what you brought to the footy club. Those sort of characters (lads) are always loved by their supporter base no matter where they go and I am sure that majority of Crows supporters still love Bernie and wish he was still playing for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miss him around the club! Truly hope he gets a nice cheer from the crowd on Saturday, anything less will be a disgrace.

and you'll be sitting with the CSG eating scones and tea cake and knitting at half time??

for * sake give me a break get over it ...19thman I think not! 90tholdwomen more like it!!

I don't think it would be reasonable to suggest that there was anything remarkable about his form of 2013. A far shadow from his form of 2009.

You mean his finals form of 2009. His overall 2009 has become one of the great myths of our time.

Keenly await a few crude statistical representations of his season in retort.

I love Bernie. A great guy and part of the footy fabric died the day we traded him BUT purely from a "business" perspective, it was the right decision.

We needed to trade back into the draft to try and regenerate the list with some decent youth and were not prepared to part with real guns so Bernie was the obvious one that had some currency and he had some similar type players on the list as potential replacements (Grigg).

On top of that, at the end of this season, Bernie would have been an unrestricted free agent who was going to get big offers no doubt. Clubs over in Melbourne LOVE him! He got a huge 4 year deal from Melbourne ($450k a season) which there is no way we should match so we would have lost him for nothing.

Bernie was also stagnating a bit and needed a change of scenery for his own sake. This was the right call for both parties which doesn't make it any easier.

I absolutely love Vince and I find myself watching Melbourne games when I get a chance or at the very worst checking my phone to see how Bernie performed on the day. Amongst supporters, he will always be much loved no doubt about it. Same can be said about his now former team mates.

I saw a news tidbit about him wondering if he will get booed! Fear not Bernie I am sure that you will not be booed...it fact you might get some appreciative cheers from supporter base that still very much has a soft spot for you and what you brought to the footy club. Those sort of characters (lads) are always loved by their supporter base no matter where they go and I am sure that majority of Crows supporters still love Bernie and wish he was still playing for us.

Love your work but feel like it should be pointed out the circumstances surrounding that if it eventuated. He didn't want to take that offer. Just that he was told he wasn't in Adelaide's plans long term, which was to do with him not working hard enough or getting the best out of himself. He wanted to stay, and was happy to stay on less coin than what Melbourne offered, but we said it would be very hard for him to snag a contract extension with our club. If we had offered him substantially less but said "yep, have a quality season and you'll get a contract extension" he would not have taken Melbourne's offer.

He did it to prolong his career. And the AFC was put in an awkward position because one of our favourite bloody sons never quite pulled the finger out again once Goodwin hung the boots up!

Last edited:
Love your work but feel like it should be pointed out the circumstances surrounding that if it eventuated. He didn't want to take that offer. Just that he was told he wasn't in Adelaide's plans long term, which was to do with him not working hard enough or getting the best out of himself. He wanted to stay, and was happy to stay on less coin than what Melbourne offered, but we said it would be very hard for him to snag a contract extension with our club. If we had offered him substantially less but said "yep, have a quality season and you'll get a contract extension" he would not have taken Melbourne's offer.

He did it to prolong his career. And the AFC was put in an awkward position because one of our favourite bloody sons never quite pulled the finger out again once Goodwin hung the boots up!
That's my read also. Would have stayed on any reasonable contract. Wasn't a huge risk fa wise.

You mean his finals form of 2009. His overall 2009 has become one of the great myths of our time.

Keenly await a few crude statistical representations of his season in retort.

My memory is that it was his second half of 2009 that was so good. The impressive thing about it was that he started to get tagged, and yet his output only went up.

No I don't miss Bernie although in early days loved the guy as is a amazing talent but become a lazy player that did not want to excerpt himself in anyway especially anything defensive . But when felt like it out of blue show us that was our probably most talented player with something and then go back into cruise mode.
Am I jealous of good looks --- YES Am I jealous of his female conquests --- YES.
Am I happy he got traded and we picked up a great young player that was desperately needed --- again YES.
It was one of or only good thing club done for awhile and showed that can act like a top club at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back