Mega Thread "I need to vent" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I always get confused about what kind of day it is.

Is today one of those days where we say:
"Look at what Hawthorn is doing, why aren't we doing that"

Or is it a day where we say:
"We are Collingwood, we don't care what other clubs are doing"
I would have thought the former, because to improve we need a benchmark against which to set our goals. Hawthorn are the best in the business. We also need to set the club up as one for which every opposition player wants to play. Nor do we want to have players like Freeman and Seedsman requesting to move at the end of a season. When was the last time you can recall a Hawks player wanting a transfer (maybe Clinton Young)?

I would have thought the former, because to improve we need a benchmark against which to set our goals. Hawthorn are the best in the business.

We can learn from Hawthorn, we can learn from all the other clubs.

I just don't see e point in us following/copying what another club does. That won't fulfil our ambitions at all!

We also need to set the club up as one for which every opposition player wants to play. Nor do we want to have players like Freeman and Seedsman requesting to move at the end of a season.

Happy to have players move on who aren'tgoing to be part of our future (by definition)

We've only got 40 places on our list.

When was the last time you can recall a Hawks player wanting a transfer (maybe Clinton Young)?

+ Lance Franklin

We can learn from Hawthorn, we can learn from all the other clubs.

I just don't see e point in us following/copying what another club does. That won't fulfil our ambitions at all!

Happy to have players move on who aren'tgoing to be part of our future (by definition)

We've only got 40 places on our list.

+ Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin left for obvious monetary reasons i.e. $9 million. And I wasn't suggesting that we blindly follow or copy another club. I was suggesting what you said - learn from them. Freeman would have been 'part of our future' but didn't want to stay. I would still prefer to be a club which no player wants to leave. This does not discount players 'who aren't going to be part of our future' being moved on as required.

the game was simply a lot tougher back then, more physical, man on man, and the grounds, more like paddocks.
every thing has changed so much. to days players could not handle what went on twenty years ago, and no chance back then
but in saying that in most ways the game is better to day, but past is where it should be

The team of the 20's and 30's is the GREATEST of ALL TIME.
We as Collingwood supporters should be defending the team from that 15 year period of domination no other Club has come near.

It just seems like we have two types, we have Collingwood supporters and we have collingwood supporters these days.

I would have thought the former, because to improve we need a benchmark against which to set our goals. Hawthorn are the best in the business. We also need to set the club up as one for which every opposition player wants to play. Nor do we want to have players like Freeman and Seedsman requesting to move at the end of a season. When was the last time you can recall a Hawks player wanting a transfer (maybe Clinton Young)?
Mitch Hallahan, Luke Lowden and Kyle Cheney all sought trades last year for more opportunity.

They would be similar to Seedsman and Kennedy; not established and in and out of the side.

Freeman being a high draft pick and wanting out is a bit different and definitely disappointing

Mitch Hallahan, Luke Lowden and Kyle Cheney all sought trades last year for more opportunity.

They would be similar to Seedsman and Kennedy; not established and in and out of the side.

Freeman being a high draft pick and wanting out is a bit different and definitely disappointing
Apart from those three, I mean! :rolleyes:

The team of the 20's and 30's is the GREATEST of ALL TIME.
We as Collingwood supporters should be defending the team from that 15 year period of domination no other Club has come near.

It just seems like we have two types, we have Collingwood supporters and we have collingwood supporters these days.

I love history, and I love our history but you cannot relive the past. you can learn for it, even glory in it. but to most players
they are not at 1st interested in it ,does not mean much, they live for today, supporters on the other hand revel in it
l would like our team to as good as hawks recent history if not better, and that is something to brag about

How many of the players from today could Hold Down a fulltime Job, train after work and play on a saturday on the shittiest of grounds.

Not forgetting there was only a top 4 during our run from 1925 to 1939.

I agree that their achievements were extraordinary. Has no relevance to today though.

Their achievement yesterday was extraordinary....and today....means nothing in relation to their future.
Or does it?

Here is the difference. The guys who played for Collingwood in 'the machine' side are dead. The guys who played yesterday will be challenging again next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol....I'd love to see you at an ANZAC day march

Not sure what that has to with anything. We are talking about the past influencing the future. Clearly a team from 80 years ago has no bearing on our future.

Not sure what that has to with anything. We are talking about the past influencing the future. Clearly a team from 80 years ago has no bearing on our future.

Do you really have no idea, or are you trolling?

Need to vent about this...

AFL you need to review the free agency system, the system was designed to help the struggling teams and even out the competition, if anything it has done the opposite. It allows teams like Hawthorn to top up once their players retire. Lake and Frawley 2 key examples of this so far.

Players are going to keep wanting to go to Hawthorn because thats where the success is, so basically for as long as free agency goes on they will always be up there because they will just top up.

The idea of a player just walking out of a club and going where ever they please which unless for family reasons or something its going to be Hawthorn i dont like. The compensation the club receives is usually crap anyway, i think this definitely needs to be reviewed because it isnt doing what it was designed for.

The old way of trading was fine in my opinion, should just go back to that.

Need to vent about this...

AFL you need to review the free agency system, the system was designed to help the struggling teams and even out the competition, if anything it has done the opposite. It allows teams like Hawthorn to top up once their players retire. Lake and Frawley 2 key examples of this so far.

Players are going to keep wanting to go to Hawthorn because thats where the success is, so basically for as long as free agency goes on they will always be up there because they will just top up.

The idea of a player just walking out of a club and going where ever they please which unless for family reasons or something its going to be Hawthorn i dont like. The compensation the club receives is usually crap anyway, i think this definitely needs to be reviewed because it isnt doing what it was designed for.

The old way of trading was fine in my opinion, should just go back to that.
Hawthorn only have 1 FA in their side, they traded for other players, which meant they had to give up something to get a player.
Plus they lost Buddy as a FA

Envy.. Hawthorn and their professionalism(a premiership winning machine)
Pity...it ain't us.
That and the 'succession plan that we had to have'(if I can borrow a quote from P.Keating)

It's time to remove any semblance of Brisbane from our players.
Crispo is now Crispy and with a bit of luck Aisho will become Aishy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back