I really enjoy following via radio.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wondering if anyone else out there really enjoys or even prefers to follow games by radio these days. A few years ago, I would said I much prefer to follow it on TV, but I've started to really enjoy just listening to games again. The commentary and analysis is better, and it is kind of exciting to not quite be sure what's going on and hearing the crowd with out the initial context. May be I am just TV fatigued and sick of hearing BT and the Channel 7 crew going through the motions.​

There is definitely less waffle and more straight up calling of the actual play on radio which shits on the tv coverage, on that I agree. Strongly doubt that the analysis is a whole lot better. Triple M commentators are genuinely rubbish and are often drawn from the same gene pool as those on tv. ABC is a level above most and just going on a radio coverage will be pretty nostalgic for those old enough to remember when The Big League was the only vision you got.

If there was a way to sync up the radio broadcast with the TV broadcast that would be super

Radio commentary is far superior. Also they don't need a team of 6+ guys to do it. 1-2 or even 3 is all that is needed.

Also nostalgia of having Rex hunt calling games on the way home from footy on a Saturday morning is tops. Then detouring to nans for bacon and egg burgers. Those were the days

Yea me too, always good to listen to Rama. Better comentators and I feel they can speak their mind on players or umps when compared to the guys on tv.

This is interesting actually, I've noticed they are a bit more blunt and 'on to it'. In fact during the GF last year, Goddard at one point said something along the lines of, "he didn't get that free because he wasn't wearing blue and white hoops".

I was wondering if anyone else out there really enjoys or even prefers to follow games by radio these days.

I love listening to games on the radio or streaming over the net however I have one quite major problem with it and that is, radio advertising is like a form of audio torture to me. I'm not sure if it's because I have been living overseas for some time and detached myself a bit for Australiana culture a little bit, but the quality of Australian radio advertising is genuinely horrendous. I get pangs of cultural cringe when I have to listen to it. TV advertising used to be similarly awful but seems to have improved quite a lot in recent years, radio has not yet made that great leap forward though and seems limited to having some inane jingle or the owner of the company explaining why his product is so great in some irritating "comical" voice. It makes it very difficult for me to listen to the radio commentary without turning it on and off constantly.

Rex :(
Radio far better. SEN on a Friday night is awesome - otherwise generally AW's weekend call team since Der-wayne is on Fox

For some reason, I find BT more tolerable on MMM than on 7. It is almost like he is the straight man to the goofs around him, unlike when on 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First class cricket on the radio is a thing of beauty. Football is not quite as good, though still not bad. Prefer to see the game unfolding though.

I do like it, but unfortunately I moved overseas and hence most of the games i watch delayed, for which there is only television.

When watching games live I have tried to sync up the internet TV and internet radio (which is about 20 seconds ahead) but it has proved too difficult, particularly if there is some buffering.

If there was a way to sync up the radio broadcast with the TV broadcast that would be super
If you have Foxtel IQ and listen via the AFL app the audio will be behind the pictures. Pause the Foxtel until they catch up.

Personally I think it's a hard game to capture on radio and I often "lose" where I am in general play until there's a goal or a stoppage. Things happen so quickly, there's so many players, it's a challenge. Will listen to the radio if I have to, but would never choose it over TV, even if Channel 7 cloned a team of BTs.

Used to love listening to the radio on a Saturday arvo in the car while driving somewhere with Rex and Clinton Grybas on the mic.

Still don't mind it. Radio commentary tends to be of a higher quality.
They made it better than TV. For a while 3AW was stacked with Dennis in that too

Radio is much better.

Would someone please calculate this for me, as we know that sound travels slower than light.

To get the 5 second delay on TV to synch with live radio, how far away from my TV would I have to stand?

For extra points, what size TV and how loud a radio would I need?

Edit: for those who are wondering, speed of sound = 343 meters per second
So to get the picture and sound in synch I need to stand 1.5 km's away from my TV
Is anyone selling a cheap 100m screen TV?

Is it possible to delay an internet based radio broadcast so that it synch's with TV?

Last edited:
I had a job that involved a full days driving on saturdays when Rex and Clinton were in their prime. Fish and chips on the passenger seat, 2 litre bottle of coke zero open roads and the best football commentary in history ahh such nice memories

The standard of radio coverage for AFL all round is alot higher. The ABC call of the game is the best there is and that sunday inquisition segment is fantastic. The build up to the footy on fridays on SEN is pretty good as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back