"I spend far too much time on the Net" Grizzlym.

Remove this Banner Ad

I loathe the royal family. Loathe 'em. That, as a nation, we still have a queen is just embarassing. Anyway.

But found this read - from Time - on 86 surprising facts about the Queen, entertaining.

15. Technically, the Queen still owns the sturgeons, whales and dolphins in the waters around the U.K. A statute from 1324, during the reign of King Edward II, states, "Also the King shall have ... whales and sturgeons taken in the sea or elsewhere within the realm." This statute is still valid today, and sturgeons, porpoises, whales and dolphins are recognized as "fishes royal": when they are captured within 3 miles (about 5 km) of U.K. shores or wash ashore, they may be claimed on behalf of the Crown. Generally, when brought into port, a sturgeon is sold in the usual way, and the purchaser, as a gesture of loyalty, requests the honor of its being accepted by Elizabeth.

Mo'ynaq - Graveyard of ships in the desert.

moynoq+1.jpg

No, that's not our forward line...

Good photo essay and article here.

I have a GF who loves me more than anything right now.

It's a great idea, hey?

On another tangent, I've been wondering whether something like this would work in Melbourne:

http://ilikeikesplace.com/

Seriously fantastic sandwich bar in San Fransisco that packs 'em in. But maybe Subway is more the flavour...

It's a great idea, hey?

On another tangent, I've been wondering whether something like this would work in Melbourne:

http://ilikeikesplace.com/

Seriously fantastic sandwich bar in San Fransisco that packs 'em in. But maybe Subway is more the flavour...

H2F's Franshise checklist...

1) Needs to be healthy
2) Ideally needs drive thru
3) Needs to provide toys to kids
4) Needs to be open late
5) Needs to be consistent, clean and professional

If you tick 4 of the boxes you will succeed in Australia. Any less and you will fail.

:)

H2F's Franshise checklist...

1) Needs to be healthy
2) Ideally needs drive thru
3) Needs to provide toys to kids
4) Needs to be open late
5) Needs to be consistent, clean and professional

If you tick 4 of the boxes you will succeed in Australia. Any less and you will fail.

:)

The beauty of that place is it 'aint a franchise. It's individual. Unique. Sure, 3 locations but same dude.

There is only one Pelegrini's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"In 1992 cyberpunk author William Gibson wrote a short poem called Agrippa (a book of the dead) that tells about memory, loss, nature and mechanism, all framed by a Kodak photo album. The poem was bundled into a Mac System 7 application and included on a 3.5” diskette in the back of a noir art book by Dennis Ashbaugh and Kevin Begos, Jr.

Once run, the program displays Gibson’s poem just once, and encrypts itself. Never to be seen again, until now."

Crack the code here.

Another great link, including video of the 'poem' in action.

I loathe the royal family. Loathe 'em. That, as a nation, we still have a queen is just embarassing. Anyway.

That I agree with you. It's in my blood to hate England. My first interaction with a pom is always negative (especially high class poms) and I don't give a rats arse about the queen. The Queen pppppfft.

Retronaut is a brilliant site, with a collection of weird and wonderful cultural images from days gone by.

The tagline for the site is: "the past is a foreign country, this is your passport". Very apt.

Cool section on abandoned buildings.

You can easily lose yourself here for hours.

1179-e1340392460569-520x388.jpg

1103.jpg

128-520x345.jpg

An investment fund based entirely on superstition.

From BoingBoing:

"Would you trust a superstitious robot with your money? Can technology operate with human characteristics, interpreting data and information with basic human behaviors. The Superstitious Fund Project is an investment Fund that is run by a superstitious autonomous Algorithm. As a one year experiment it operates and trades purely on superstitious beliefs. Buying or Selling on Numerology and in accordance to Lunar Phases. For example it has the fear of the number 13 and a full moon. It also develops its own lucky ad unlucky values, just as we do all the time. We are hardwired to imagine patterns that give us the illusion of control. Win a tennis match, and we've got lucky socks. The Algorithm creates these patterns throughout the year, ranking and deranking superstitions. They are then used as a new logic in trading." Link.

And here's the fund's website.

The network of caves under Nottingham. Absolutely fascinating blog about the exploration of the network of caves under Nottingham, including 3D imaging laid over the actual landscape, images and videos. Amazing urban exploration.

Caves are here.

7739719400_32f6af8d96_z.jpg
NottinghamMortimer3.jpg

NottinghamCaveMap.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back