Roast The Unofficial Marijuana Discussion (...Depression Thread? What?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, I promise I'll let you all know.

I'm going to delete Sportsbet from my 'favorites' on google chrome too.
You have taken the most important step, recognising that you have a problem. You need to take the next step and see a doctor. They are not going to judge you and will be able to help.

Also, in relation to the punting, as far as I am aware, all on line books in Australia have an option to self exclude. I would recommend that you do that as a priority.

good luck.

Thanks for that mate. It really is amazing that people like you can share your experiences with me.
Did you have to pay for the psychiatrist? Or did you see them via your gp / medicare?
I just talked to my GP about it and through medicare you can get 10 free sessions, it's really easy. i strongly suggest it!
Good luck :)

I just talked to my GP about it and through medicare you can get 10 free sessions, it's really easy. i strongly suggest it!

Yep my ex missus made me do it when we kept fighting lol. I went to a really fancy one on Collins St, it definitely helped as I haven't really had anger issues since, although breaking up with ex probably helped.

IIRC I had to pay about $100 a session and then take the receipt to Medicare and got about $80 back, not bad $20 an hour to see a fully professional psychologist/psychiatrist.

There's probably an el cheapo way to get it for free though, if you are young and on benefits.

Tempest,:rainbow:

Remove yourself if possible from this site all together if some posters replies get you down. Some of the info you are receiving is differing & uneducated opinions that you cannot afford in your current state of mind.

Please seek immediate professional help.

It's available and you deserve it.:thumbsu:

Love KJ

Last edited:
Mate, I'm very sorry to hear all this. 2 things I can recommend is seek some professional help, they'll have the necessary skills to help you out properly. Also, get back into TAFE or tertiary education mate, that'll give you the best chance to get a good job and get out of home. Even try going part time if you reckon its too much with work and that.

And maybe not good advice, but if i was you id be telling your mum to stick her $200 a week up her arse...

I think having the TAFE course is really important. Gives you a bit of purpose to know you're working towards a goal that will get you out of your boring job.

Have you thought about selling the car, paying the loan and buying something cheaper?

How about going on gumtree and finding a share place?

Get in contact with Centrelink ASAP and most def a GOOD GP or even someone at TAFE like a councillor - there is help out there for situations like yours. Don't feel embarrassing at all - this is what they are there for.

My life really sucks at the moment, I have just turned 20 a few months ago and it feels like I'm going nowhere.

I work in a low skilled job and live at home with my 13 year old brother and abusive mother and it feels like all she wants is my money.
My father passed away when I was 8 after having no real connection with me.

I left school at the end of Year 11 to pursue a career in IT. I've completed my Certificate II in Computer Assembly and was halfway through an Advanced Diploma in Computer Engineering when my life really hit a turning point, I was struggling to do to the work assigned to me during my course because my mum forced me to get a job and to pay my way.

Working 2 days a week was just not enough for me to sustain my life at home, I also wanted all the luxuries of being able to eat whatever I wanted and to buy whatever I wanted as well, As it feels to me like If I am working then I should at least see some benefit from it, so I started working 3 days ; but because of this work it felt like a real struggle for me to do 3 days of work and manage my TAFE course as well, as the teachers were not particularly helpful. If I missed a day of class due to work commitments then it was "Too bad, Use google to answer your questions, you didn't come to my class so I cannot help you"
I ended up not going back to TAFE at the start of this year, with the course unfinished, and I've been working 4 days a week ever since.

My job is extremely repetitive and tedious, It's not something that I want to do for the rest of my life, and If I end up doing so then I have become a failure as a human being.
If I had to say something that I did like about it then it would be the casual environment and decent people involved (Aside from one person who I will get into later)

I often regularly have fights with my mother, she has anger management issues and anxiety, and my brother might have some form of autism based on the way he acts.

I look very much like my father who has given my mother a lot of grief in the past, he was a drug user and abused my mother many times before he passed away.
Me and my mother have never seen eye-to-eye with each other since I was in High school as that was a very troubling time for me, I was hanging out with the wrong crowd, skipping school and not doing homework.
We would always argue when I wasn't doing my homework, and it would escalate to the point where she would come upstairs, bang my door down and start to abuse me physically.

Obviously every time she did this she would threaten that if I did any thing back to her then she would call the police.
I don't like conflict, so I'd always dealt with it by running away, at one point she kicked me out of the house after midnight and If it wasn't for my girlfriend at the time I would have slept on the driveway.

I've tried to right my wrongs by attending this course and completely cutting contact with the bad people I hung out with in high school, but unfortunately that has left me with not a single friend.
All the people that I thought were decent in High School have either left me or I've left them.

These days my brother constantly tries to get me in trouble, if I as much as talk to him these days then there is an issue. It feels like my mum always takes his side of the story 100% of the time because he is the younger sibling, I've been reduced to the point where I cannot talk to him any more.
I am very much like my father and this pains my mother to see as she just want's to unleash all her hate out on me.

I've recently had a falling out with my supervisor at work, She believes that my attitude towards her is wrong, as she is the leader she believes I am in no position to question what she makes me do.
I've had a few incidents where I've spoken back to her, simply because I don't agree with her methods of doing things, and it's ended up in full blown arguments where the boss has had to get involved.

I've not spoken to my mother at all in the last 2 weeks even though we have been living in the same household.
The last time I spoke to her I had explained to her that I was in an argument with my supervisor at work and she told me "It's your fault, you can't get along with anyone, just look at yourself in the mirror you piece of s**t"
I know it's not true, as I can get along with everyone at work bar my supervisor just fine.
However after that I ended up getting very drunk that night at my uncle's place, and called her telling her that I hated her guts. She told me that she has removed me from her will and doesn't want anything to do with me.
I had to beg to her that it's obvious I can't move out of home as I don't have a cent to my name.

Financially things are very hard to me, I get paid fortnightly and I'm blowing all of my money within the first 3 days of getting paid. I pay my mother the $200 she needs for me to stay at home (even though she hasn't done s**t for me the last two weeks), I also pay for my phone plan $50, Petrol $100, and also paying off my $18,000 car. About $14,000 is already paid off, because I had a trust fund set up when my father died, but unfortunately a lot of my money was taken out by my mother before I turned 18 because I didn't realize it was legal for her to be doing that, and I have no idea where this money went. (Most likely to pay off my mothers house which apparently isn't mine any more)

With the rest of the money I get I have been gambling it away as I hate my current lifestyle and just want to get away. I'm trying to do whatever I can to get rich quick, and deep in my mind I know it's a losers game but I can't stop because I just think "Who the hell cares anyway? Surely not me"
Horse racing, Blackjack, Tattslotto, Pokies, AFL betting, you name it. It's taking my money away.

If I need any money during the rest of the fortnight, I am often getting handouts from my fathers family just to compensate for my problems.

Last Friday I thought it was the final straw at my workplace as I had yet another incident with my supervisor, she told me that "If this was my company you'd have been gone a long time ago, so you better watch your back as I've been telling the boss every time you get on my nerves and you're on a fine line here"

It made me feel physically sick as I'd known I'd done nothing wrong, she's just had it in for me for a long time now.

Friday night felt like I had almost hit rock bottom, No education, nobody to rely on, and it felt like pretty sure I was going to lose my job.
If I lose my job I lose everything, I won't be able to pay for my car, I won't be able to live at home, etc.

I was driving home from work and thinking Okay if this is it then I want to go now, I don't want to hit rock bottom. I quickly accelerated to 120km/h on the freeway and closed my eyes hoping that i'd hit something. After 5 seconds I thought that it was useless, I'm too scared to attempt to take my life. So I drove home and didn't sleep at all that night.

I got to work on Monday and was basically told that the line was drawn there, Both me and my supervisor were in the wrong apparently.
We both received a warning, but she had a further written warning taken against her as it's not the first time she's been involved in an incident at work, I've heard as many as 5 people have made complaints about her.

Anyway there's no breathing room for me at this job any more, and for the last week I've been feeling sick, I have not been able to sleep for longer than 3 hours a night, And I have no appetite, I have a heart condition which will probably mean I need surgery at age 50+ and may provide complications in the future, but I have not been able to stay awake at work so I've been drinking about 4 red bulls a day not caring about how this may affect me.

I've never been a smoker and absolutely despise it, but I've been contemplating having my first cigarette as I just don't give a damn what happens to me any more.
I'd be absolutely stuffed on alcohol right about now, But I don't have the money to afford it as I have about 5 dollars in my wallet which has to last me until Monday.

I'm simply over everything, It feels like my life does not have a purpose, Why do I go to work to get abused? Why do I come home to get abused?
If I had it my way I'd be happy just being left alone all my life.

I probably need to see a doctor about this before everything gets worse, But I've seen many doctors before to 'help' me when my father passed away and it did nothing for me, they just blurt out the same crap that never really works.

---

If anyone can provide any useful information to me then I'd greatly appreciate it.
It was just good to get this off my chest.
Sorry to bother you all with my issues.

Tempest, I am sorry to hear of the current difficulties that you are going through. They are not easy, but rest assured, you are strong enough to get through them. I'll explain what has helped me through a lot of stress and anxiety in my life. Without sounding arrogant or cocky, it really is the only way. Let me explain.

Your situation is causing a lot of stress no doubt and stress is often the catalyst for emotional distress. Sometimes life can get quite hectic and the pressure builds and this pressure can lead to what you are experiencing. However, there is a way through this and it is quite simple.

Right now, your situation is how it is. Your mind, however, wants things to change and it is forecasting your future based on what is currently happening and what has happened in the past. This is how the human mind works. It just wants to keep evolving. However, this is where the problem lies for people who hit a stressful bump in life or for those who live with debilitating anxiety and depression. The mind wants to keep on going. It wants to get to some point in the future. It wants success. You can label this need for "more" as "ego". The ego will make you suffer if you don't see through it.

So, here you are in bad place (or so your mind is saying that it is bad) and your mind is telling you that your life is a failure at the age of 20. Right now, this cannot be further from the truth. You know why? Well, it is because you have already succeeded by the simple fact that you were born into this world. I know this sounds simple, but when you really, really think about it, it is a huge success. It may not be the success that this crazy world makes you strive for, but it is more than that and it really is everything. It is what life is about. The success that we don't see because of a chaotic lifestyle.

You can build on this success and turn it into gratitude. For example, what right now in your life can you be thankful for? I know it may sound life I am disregarding your situation, but trust me I am not. It is the only way and it has helped me tremendously throughout my life. Gratitude leads to surrender and surrender means to free yourself from the painful emotions of the analytical mind. When you see gratitude, all the problems in life appear differently. They no longer possess any power over you, because you are no longer tied to the emotional storm around you. In fact, they don't even appear as "problems". I'll give you an example. Some people have been locked up in prisons (e.g. Mandella, Monks, POWs), in awful situations, yet somehow they are the happiest people in this world. They are happy because they have freed themselves of the incessant mind chatter and in turn, the begin to experience the wondrous joy of life even when they are in a prison cell. The wondrous joy of life really is you and your presence in this world.

If I was tied to my thinking like I was in the past, right now my current situation would make me anxious and depressed. I turned 29 recently and haven't worked for a couple of years. I have financial strains plus am dealing with some other personal issues. I would be a mess if I let my mind forecast what my future was based on what was happening right now. I would also be a mess if I listened to my mind compare where other people are. The reality is though that life isn't a race and right now is how it is.

The truth is that what your mind tells you is all a lie. It's an illusion. I know some people will disagree with me here, but life is not about making billions of dollars and getting a fat super for retirement. Why? Because you would be constantly leaning forward into the future thinking about what has to happen next. And then, when you turn 60, you will be like, "where did my life go?" Sure we have to make money to survive and sure we have to plan, but we can only do that when we are living life right now is this moment. Not in the future and not in the past. In other words life really only happens now at this second. You will never find "happiness in the future". It doesn't exist there. It can only happen right now.

I could talk more about this but the post would be extremely long. Instead, I will finish with some more conventional methods at solving your situation.

In regard to your current living situation. You could do one of two things. First, you could seek help through centrelink and maybe move out somewhere by yourself. I know they provide rent assistance and the like. Secondly, you could remain where you are, and put into place some boundaries. You must realise that we cannot chance anyone but ourselves. There is no point in trying to change your mother or brother. If the situation is chaotic to the point of violence, then you must walk away. In there is no violence, then I encourage you to be the peaceful person in your home. Be the one that does not react. When you do this, everyone else around beings to take on a similar tone.

In regard to your career situation, don't worry one bit! You are still so young! If I were you, I would finish the Diploma. At least then you have something to build on. You may not know what you want to do in life, but this will come. Just go with the flow. Be like a tree in the wind. There is no rush. Your life's path will be shown soon enough.

In regard to your financial situation, don't blow it on betting. Put it aside and instead put it towards something you enjoy like a hobby. Or what if you donated part of it to a charity that you think needs help? I guarantee you that doing this will help you with your whole life situation right now.

I would encourage you to seek the help of a good counselor. You don't need a psychiatrist. You're not mentally unwell. You are dealing with a stressful situation and that is it. You don't need medication either. Try to begin to transcend your thinking about your current situation first. If you really feel that bad, then have a chat to a counselor or psychologist first. Medication is the LAST LAST LAST resort.

I'll finish up here. Don't stress about everything. Don't rush and try to begin to see the rose amongst the thorns in your life. There is beauty even in the chaos. If you can tap into this, then all your problems will melt away.

I encourage you to check out some youtube videos of a spiritual teacher called Eckhart Tolle.

All the best.

It was very hard to write this but like I said to Cory, it was you guys so it made it easier.

I don't think I could see myself doing bomb disposal, lol. But the navy has a lot to offer.

I know I'm not the only one going through this crap so It's really re-assuring people are willing to offer support.

Mate Ive been in the army and am currently In the Navy so happy to help out if you have any questions..... its a great way to get a trade/tafe quals and a head start in life. For instance The course i currently instruct after 18 months the trained sailors are on minimum 52k a year and finish with a diploma in enrolled nursing and Diploma in Paramedical Science.

Hi Tempest.
Massive respect for your honesty.
The drink, the gambling etc are just you looking for a quick fix. They wont work & will make things worse There is no quick fix. It takes time.
But you do need counseling mate. You can't solve your problems by yourself. Get some help. Find the right councilor like ThePiesMan said.
It may be that you need a little medication to help you at first, but there is no shame in that.
My wife has had her issues & that's as far as I can go because they are her issues & not mine.
But she has come out on the other side really well in 18 months & I am so proud of her.
Take control now mate & do something about it. The power to change things is still with you. It just takes some courage & some honesty with yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just bought some 'mood' pills and some st john's wort in an effort to use natural remedies to ease a bit of worry and social anxiety.

According to web doctors they can be just as effective as medication, and you want to steer clear of drugs at all costs.

If this doesn't work I'll go to the GP, but I'll give it a week or two and let you know.

Got both for $20 at Woolies.

I think you will find it's 10 free sessions with a psychologist not a psychiatrist.

You are getting some conflicting opinions e.g. natural remedies versus medication. Personally I think that anti-depressants have their place and don't have much time for natural medicines, but you need to find out for yourself what suits you. The advice practically everyone agrees with is to see a health professional.

I think you will find it's 10 free sessions with a psychologist not a psychiatrist.

You are getting some conflicting opinions e.g. natural remedies versus medication. Personally I think that anti-depressants have their place and don't have much time for natural medicines, but you need to find out for yourself what suits you. The advice practically everyone agrees with is to see a health professional.

Medicine does have it's place, however, at some point in time, you have to take responsibility for your thinking, behaviours and emotions. It's something I have had to do and the results are really worth it. Plus, there are no nasty side effects either when you do it yourself.

Hey Tempest,

Sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time.

There's a lot you've got going on. I'll reply to different things in different posts.

I probably need to see a doctor about this before everything gets worse, But I've seen many doctors before to 'help' me when my father passed away and it did nothing for me, they just blurt out the same crap that never really works.

It is important to have doctors and counsellors who you feel comfortable with. No point having ones you don't have confidence in, or who you feel doesn't seem understand you. They won't work.

Best not waste your time or their time.

Different counsellors / doctors have different specialities and different areas of interest. For example, some might spend their days dealing mostly with women who are struggling with relationship breakdowns, post-natal depression, or getting back into the workforce after taking time out for child raising...

... and then they come across someone like you and may struggle to deal with it. Sure, they may be professionally trained, and understand the theory and the general principles of the human condition. They might find you an interesting case study and appreciate the change from their usual patients ... But they just struggle to relate to you or understand you or communicate with you in a way you understand.

A tip for you if you ever come a doctor / counsellor who falls into that category ... Be up front and honest with them, say that it's not working out and can they recommend somebody who would be better suited?

The good ones will often say the same to you if they feel like they can't help.

Don't worry about offending them. And don't think that because they're old and have been to University and have all kinds of fancy certificates on their wall that they know what they're doing. Some will be able to help ***you*** and some won't.

If you don't have a GP who you are comfortable with getting you started, go to the emergency ward of your local hospital. Tell them everything you've shared with us. They should provide you with the assistance you need either with referral or by having a chat with you.

If you speak to a doctor and they do prescribe you with medication, and you are uncomfortable with that, then talk to them about it. In general it's always a good idea if a doctor ever prescribes you with medication to ask them what it does, what it is for, and what are the possible side effects. And you can always get a second opinion if you're not happy about it.

Somebody mentioned beyond blue ... Which was a great suggestion. I had a good chat with Jeff Kennett on the podcast last year, and whatever you think about his politics or his taste in footy clubs, his organisation does a fantastic job.

They're running the "man therapy" ads at the moment which you would have seen on the TV ... http://m.mantherapy.org.au

It's you who has to fix this situation, and you may need some help along the way. Be assertive in choosing the right people, whether that be the doctors / counsellors / friends / family members.

There is help out there for you. You may not find it straight away, and don't get disheartened if you don't.

I promise you this though ... When you do come across the right help, your impression will be "Gee, that wasn't so difficult" and "Gee, what was I so worried about?". The fantastic response you've received in this thread is probably a good example, huh?

Anyway there's no breathing room for me at this job any more, and for the last week I've been feeling sick, I have not been able to sleep for longer than 3 hours a night, And I have no appetite, I have a heart condition which will probably mean I need surgery at age 50+ and may provide complications in the future, but I have not been able to stay awake at work so I've been drinking about 4 red bulls a day not caring about how this may affect me.

Suspect you know the energy drinks are bad for you, which is why you mentioned it. I'd imagine there is a wealth of information online about the nasty things they can do to you ... especially if you're not burning off that energy they're giving you.

Two key ones to worry about is not being able to sleep (no doubt the energy drinks would be contributing to your only 3 hours of sleep a night) and raising of the anxiety levels.

Sleep is important. If you can set yourself up with a good sleep routine then that'll be a good foundation to build on. Getting off energy drinks helps. Giving yourself a regular bed time helps. If you've got a smart device that has alarms that play music, set an alarm **for going to bed** and have it set to good sleep music (there have been some good suggestions in other threads in the nest here, but if you youtube "relaxing music" you'll find a heap of them). If you need an alarm to wake up to, then pick something you like waking up to. Some devices will let you have a different tune for a different day of the week, and that's a fun idea to try. Always make your bed when you get up in the morning so it's ready for you in the evening.

Getting your anxiety levels down is important, and getting off the energy drinks helps with that. It'll help you to think more clearly and rationally when dealing with difficult people and situations.

As you have found, kicking the energy drinks can be difficult and you can end up with an addiction you need to kick, and a massive natural energy drop in the middle of the afternoon that you need to get over. Drink water, get fresh air, or go for a walk. That can sometimes be difficult if you're working, but think about what you can do and plan for it. (Schedule breaks, always make sure you have water, go the bathroom and splash water on your face, etc)

An important part of kicking something is fixating on the replacement. If someone says "don't think about pink elephants" then what are you going to think about? If you want your 13 year old brother to NOT do something, what works better: trying to force him NOT to do that thing? Or by distracting him to think about doing something else?

Drink lots of water (saw you're going to buy yourself a drink bottle, good idea!). Think about "drinking water" rather than "not drinking red bulls".

Tempest , it's fantastic you've had the courage to confront these issues. The thread title was brave. That's the first step. The next step is you need to work through these issues ... If you get to a stage when you can think of a new thread title ... Then let the mods know and we'll happily update it for you.

Last edited:
My father passed away when I was 8 after having no real connection with me.

Have you thought about getting mentors?

These are just people who you can meet up with for a chat. People who you respect and look up to and trust.

One version of them are career mentors - which perhaps might be helpful to you, but there are other kinds of mentors.

I was at a function at Collingwood last year when Nathan Buckley mentioned that he has mentors. My CEO is 74 years old, is very successful by any measure, and he has mentors.

They don't have to be people you meet every day ... you might only chat with them once a year, or once every few months. And they might not even give you advice ... They might just say "you're doing good" and they're worth their weight in gold for that.

They don't need to be famous people or successful businessmen or anything like that. Just people you think "hmm, there's something about you I admire." It might be a local hairdresser (who has set up their own business) or the guy in the coffee shop (who is a popular and happy person) or the local solicitor (seems like a successful person) or the girl who manages the IT services at the local TAFE.

Don't stop at one mentor, get yourself many.

You might get many knock backs but keep trying. Although it might seem strange to you now ... there is a likelihood of there being many successful people out there who would get as much out of being a mentor to you, as you would get out of being mentored by them.

I can't get my head around gambling addiction... obviously it exists, you only have to go to Crown at 4am to see it in action.

But for me every time I've gambled I've been so angry at myself for losing the money I swear never to do it again. I'm not trying to be high and mighty, I have had addiction problems before with substances.

Is it just addiction to chasing your losses?

My understanding is that people can get an addiction to the high they get from winning.

Everybody loves to win, right, feels good? (And there are probably hormones that get released as part of that). Gambling can be effectively a process of paying for those little highs.

-------

I think it's important to understand that gambling is risk, and risk is a natural part of life.

Asking a girl out on a date is risky business.

Leaving a cushy job for one that is more difficult, but may offer better prospects is risky. Picking a tertiary study course, and the right one is risky. Investing on the stock market is risky. Leaving a home environment that has good and bad aspects to it is risky, what if the replacement ends up being worse?

There is the risk of success and failure, the consequences of success and failure, the risks associated not making a decision at all.

It's good to understand the risk of any endeavour you undertake. When it comes to gambling and the bookies / agencies / casino / pokies venues ... on average the house wins. When was the last time you saw a betting agency or casino go bust?

Think about what happens when you win against the betting agency. They pay you money. They are happy to pay you money. Why? Because they're giving you that little hit you crave so you come back and gamble more. Even after paying out the winnings, and for those massive advertising and sponsorship campaigns, and fancy venues and taxes ... They're still making good money out of it.

I really like blaze036's idea of joining the Army or Navy, it would get you out of the dark hole you seem to be living in right now, i can only imagin its a great place to meet lifelong friends while teaching you good morals and respect that you may have not been taught to full extent with your situation. This may sound silly, but have you tried going out in the weekends with the money you have instead of gambling it, it really depends on the type of person you are i guess.

A line in the song 'Stan' by Eminem really stands out to me each time i here it, "I guess you and your girlfriend really need eachother, or maybe you just need to treat her better", I think a part of this could perhaps relate to you, a partner who could be with you thick and thin could be perfect for you for support and company which is what you seem to lack right now.

I for one can not relate right now(im greatful, depression is terrible) as im only at the start of a hopefully long and happy life being only aged 16, i hope you turn things around Tempest, one thing you can count on is your fellow users from Bigfooty, always happy to have a chat.

I'm in the opposite camp to you Pricey, as a former Soldier and depression sufferer I wouldn't be making any life changing decisions until my health was sorted out. I couldn't imagine getting through 3 weeks let alone three months of recruit training while suffering from clinical depression. A better course if Tempest is keen to join the Services would be to join the Reserve's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back