Roast The Unofficial Marijuana Discussion (...Depression Thread? What?)

Remove this Banner Ad

She will seriously think I'm a headcase.

Tempest, don't let your imaginings about what the doctor may or may not think prevent you from seeking help. We're all vulnerable and fragile. If anyone could access my inner thoughts, they'd think I was a total nutter. Just because we mostly appear composed and in control on the outside doesn't mean we're not struggling internally. But that's the human condition.

A great deal of life is about overcoming difficulty and disappointment. It's easy to despair about the big picture, so it helps to focus on small things that give your comfort and pleasure. Talking to a friend, tinkering in the shed, listening to music, playing a game, reading, having a beverage of your choice, spending time with animals, even browsing BigFooty - all these small things can enhance a life. It doesn't seem like much, but happiness is about finding something worthwhile in the small things that happen every day.

Things are very hard now for young people, with social breakdown, the lack of community and the on-going transfer of riches and opportunity to the elite. I know many young people who view the future with fear and despair atm. Try taking it one day at a time. Find something to do that you'll enjoy - do it today, and do it again tomorrow. And what about following up on some of the other suggestions made in this thread? Action is an effective antidote to despair.

Live is hard, but it's worth fighting for. If you ever need to talk, I'm sure many on here would be happy to meet with you, me included. Good luck. Tempest. May your gods bless and keep you. May they hold you in the palms of their hands. :)

Hey mate, a couple have days have passed, how are you feeling?

Better or a little worse?

Don't worry about what anyone thinks about you, or your situation. I've been through what you are going through. In my 20's, I was unemployed, chronically depressed, and suffered from anxiety any time I had to go outside pretty much. I cringe when I look back, life was bloody awful for me.

Go to a GP. Some of them are better than others obviously, but If you are lucky enough to find a good one, then they can do some amazing work. I also haven't read the whole thread, I just found it now. I'm not sure how old you are, or where you live, and if you're on any medication or not. The only advice I can give you is this. Play it like the Pies would. Don't go down without a fight, and give it everything you have. I look back to my worst moments and think I'm lucky to still be here, because I was close, many times, to ending it. Situations change, things can get better. Get some medication, talk to a Doctor, hell, you can DM me any time, not that I'd really be any good, but I'd have a go.

No, you got the tough gig I reckon CLUBMEDhurst :)

Hate the co payment idea. Will deter lots of poorer people from coming to the GP and lots of other people who aren't so poor but who are bulk billed anyway - it will be a disincentive for them as well.

The end result may well be that instead of issues being nipped in the bud for a $36 bulk billed visit, the problem will get worse and then escalate to a hospital case or an emergency surgical or psych issue - will then cost the healthcare system serious bucks. So they'll need to save a lot of $36 visits to cover these cases. Also, it will divert people away from their GP and toward the already bursting hospital Emergency Depts, where some poor intern who is unfamiliar with all the complexities and recent medical investigations and trends over the years, tries to make sense of the patient's woes, that the GP would have known what was likely to be going on in two seconds.

That said, I get where they're coming from in one way - you'd have to say a fair few visits that are bulk billed are pretty unnecessary in a strict medical sense to be honest. I often get asked for a script for A, then ask the patient would you like item B as well, knowing they're running low - they say, Nah, I'll come back next week for that.

Loneliness is a huge problem, especially in the isolated elderly population - and a visit to the Dr, with the friendly receptionist, chat in the waiting room with other patients and then the doc - so an outing to look forward to, as well as to check how things are going, is an important thing for many of these people.

You and I know that's important for them to have that, but I can understand the bean counters don't. I'm afraid I just see the co-payment as being a disincentive to go the the Dr - I'm sure the Govt know they'll save more $ by patients having fewer GP visits and pathology tests and Xray rebates, than what they save by the actual patient contribution saving them $5 or so per visit.

It won't pass the Senate in it's current form. The vast majority of GPs hate it and do not support it. It will be watered down, the more the better.
I think that most people would accept a small co-payment ($5) if it was going to reduce the cost of Medical services but because it is going into a research fund and at the same time they are cutting funding to the likes of CSIRO, that is hard to understand. Ido agree with you that it will deter low income families from seeking medical treatment.

I don't really want to talk about what has happened here but I'd be happy to do it in a PM.

Long story short I've hurt my hand at work, can only do light duties now and they are trying to push me out already.

Dunno weather to go on work cover or not, I was yelled at by my mum saying work cover will **** me up for life, which is probably true, but all this has really got me stressed out right now.
Work cover, like sickness benefits , unemployment benefits etc are there to help you through situations like this, they're there to be used when required.
Most people will pay far more than they take out of the schemes, so there's nothing to be embarassed about when accessing the funds.

As for ******* you up for life, I think that not having the funds to eat etc is far more of an issue.

Hey Tempest, hope youre feeling better than you were a week ago. I dont have any advice for you but just wanted to say thanks for sharing your journey here, its really inspiring to witness the courage you've shown through what looks like some extremely tough circumstances. Stay strong mate, side by side.

Read the OP and gone through the thread...

Stop feeling sorry for yourself, thinking about all the s**t in your life is not good for you and will get you nowhere.
Who gives a * what happened in the past, start thinking about the future and what you can do to improve it, how you can work towards achieving your goals.
Write down how you wish to see yourself in 10 years time, what you will have etc, believe that you can achieve it, constantly reminding yourself.
You must put in the effort and hard work into it, you cant just sit on the couch and expect it to come to you and complain why you dont have anything (like some people do).

Theres soo many opportunities for you in Australia, which is not the case for so many millions (or even possibly billions of people).
This Govt even hands out money to those who want or ask for it, which does not happen in many places around the world.

You were physically abused by your mum as you skipped school or didnt do your homework.
I GOT BELTED BY MY DAD, he even pulled out the stick and it never broke no matter how hard he hit, if I didnt do my homework or even had the thought of skipping school. When my sis and I had arguments we both copped it no matter who started it.

My mum's mother died when she was real young, her dad re-married and pretty much kicked her and her brother out. She didnt just give up.
My dad's cousin left home and drove to QLD when he was 16, was homeless lived out of his car, cause he had enough and just got a job and worked his way up. Now earns a very good living in NZ in the restaurant business.
My dad came to this country from Europe not speaking a word of English (and he still cant write English too well), had enough of the Aussies punching him up so he became a bodybuilder.
His best mate, very similar to you, his dad stole his savings and blamed it on his brother. The amount was enough for a deposit on a house back then and he was planning on buying a property. No love from his parents, dad belted him whenever he felt like it. (He struggles now with depression since his brother was murdered, though before was doing very well financially and enjoying life. He worked hard.)

Possibilities
- Stop gambling (open up a savings account and deposit $100 every 2 weeks instead of gambling it away.
- Drink water eat cheap, for example I cook up pasta and throw a can of tuna in. 1/2 Pasta - 50c or $1, Tuna - $1 theres your dinner for $2. Not unhealthy for you and cheap. Tap water is free.
- Look for share accommodation $100 a week? Close to public transport. Sell your car buy a bike/motorbike/cheaper car.
- Start a Uni course or TAFE, Govt gives you $1500 at the start of each semester and $500 every 2 weeks on the Student payments. You can still earn a little by working without affecting payments, you will even receive $120 or so every 2 weeks extra if your renting, so effectively the share accommodation will cost you $40 a week.
- Start a trade, you get to work outdoors and may enjoy it alot more than being in an office environment. I feel alot better working outdoors anyway.
- You didnt finish year 11 so Centrelink will pay for licenses for you, such as a truck or security license.
- While on Centrelink work for someone for cash, wont affect your centrelink payments as long as you keep your mouth shut.

- Go to the Greek islands or Europe for a long holiday while also working and earning money and while your there have fun and get away from everything for a bit. How will you get there? Sell the car.
- Join the Army like others have said, you get paid well, get taxed less, get a degree/ qualification while your there, and it will be easier to get a job once you leave, many employers will like that you were in the army.
- Look at importing some sort of products where you can make a profit, Citibank is giving out a loan for 48k at 5.9% can get you started on any ideas you have. What have you got to lose now? When you get older with family and a property of two it will be harder to take risks, you will then have alot to lose.

Many other possibilities and options out there, look for them.

I think I might have depression. Only mild though is that possible?
Im not much older than you, dont work, go to Uni and getting good grades.
I get depressed because I dont have a job to make good money to do what I want to do, go where I want, live the life I want to live just like you.
Am a shy person not too confident, so I dont really push to apply for jobs. I could get one in a second from family or family friends who are in high places and would help out if I asked, but I want to try and make it on my own (see below).

Was given a house (with mortgage) and a car paid off from family. Obviously could afford $1200 on mortgage repayments a month plus bills and rates. I had to manage my money to keep up and did work for cash when I could.
Was getting sick from all the stress from that, and the fact I wasnt really doing anything with my life, hell I was given a 20 sq home with low repayments and I was in no position to take advantage of what id been given.

So I sold it and gave the difference back, live at home (wog parents dont like to see their kids leave home), so dont pay board. I could manage $200 every 2 weeks though if I had to.
Enrolled myself back into Uni, doing well, and am looking at starting a business and earning it myself. Create my own job, * all the employers and supervisors out there. I am also taking out a loan to get started and do know theres good $$ in it.

What happens if I fail, TRY AGAIN but you have to at least try something to change your situation and believe you will succeed with some hard work.
My mum does crack the shits sometimes and threatens to kick me out, so if I had no choice but to ask grandparents or relatives for accommodation I would have no trouble asking. Family wouldnt let you live out on the street, so if you had to move into your grandparents dont think your being a burden to them because your not.

Once you start making good money or dont have those money issues your talking about, you will feel alot better.
Only you can change your situation, believe in yourself and take action.
You will also have a vision or goal to work towards and YOUR LIFE WILL HAVE A PURPOSE.

I have thought of suicide cause I was depressed and tired with my life but thats just a bs way to go out, and I couldnt do that to family.
Things do get better.
Remember you only get one chance at this life, make the most of it, you will die one day and then have an eternity in peace and quiet away from everyone and a well earned rest.

Hi Tempest,

Mate, the most courageous thing you have done so far is admitting to yourself that you may have depression and asking for help. It's great that these forums offer some anonymity as otherwise you may just suffer in silence. Please do not believe the people who scoff at medication or tell you to toughen up and ride it out. Medications do work and should be prescribed initially by your GP and reviewed or altered by a psychologist.

I suffer from Bipolar and have done so for much of my life. I am currently back in hospital for the depressive side of the illness. My meds are being reviewed and altered and it really is making a difference.

If I could give you one piece of advice that will make a difference it would be to exercise. Grab your iPhone or whatever it may be, listen to your tunes and get out for a walk in the morning and afternoon. It may only be 10 mins initially but once you start doing it you will go for longer and longer and start to feel a sense of accomplishment. Personally I cycle and the freedom that it gives me in my head is second to none.

I believe that you would also. Benefit greatly from seeing a psychologist. You can get to your GP and have a mental health plan done. This will allow you a number of visits to a psychologist with Medicare paying for most of it or in some instances the whole amount.

Mate, hang in there, depression is an insidious illness that unfortunately many do not understand.

Took me over a decade to get help, really wish I'd done it earlier. Swoop has helped me greatly and the drug I'm now makes me feel heaps better. I started by just talking to a social worker, make it a female mate, more compassionate. After thirty odd years of anxiety and depression, I dont want to die anymore.

Big words, I wish I could feel that way.
I'm happy for you.
We need you here mate, people who come across this thread get a lot of strength out of it :)

Big words, I wish I could feel that way.
I'm happy for you.
Mate, I implore you to see a Doctor. If you need some courage to get this done, drink some grog or whatever you need to take. Its not uncommon to be on antidepressants, lots of people are on them. Thank god for drugs, I dont care if I have to be on them for the rest of my life because of the increase in quality of life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My GP is as useless as they come.

She referred me to Sickness benefits with my arm that has RSI, and she didn't even know you can't get sickness benefits until 22.

She'll probably prescribe me antibiotics if I tell her I have depression :/
I have rsi in my wrists to mate, tennis elbow in both, have broken both ankles with a pin in one. Arthritis in my knees which really hasnt got much worse thank fcuk. Since I got onto antidepressants, I have so much more motivation. I started running and I completed my first half marathon earlier this year, LIFE IS A HELL OF A LOT BETTER, get on them mate. May take a few tries to find one that suits you but just keep trying mate, PLEASE. Dont worry about side effects, if they're bad change. Try Lexapro.

I can't get on them without confessing all of my s**t to a dr, which I'm too weak/can't be bothered doing without worrying about it.

It can be a catch 22 situation. If somebody has the confidence, fortitude and wherewithal to discuss these things with their doctor, well, what would they need to see their doctor for?

Sadly, it sometimes requires a crisis situation to force these matters.

It doesn't have to be that way.

I can't get on them without confessing all of my s**t to a dr, which I'm too weak/can't be bothered doing without worrying about it.
I have cried spilling my guts, several times, but I now find it great having someone with compassion to talk to. Get drunk and just do it mate.

Tempest, mate can I give you a perspective from the other side?

The average GP would have 2-3 patients every single day come in sit down and say, " Doc I feel like s**t, and have done so for ..x.. months"

No energy, no drive, no enthusiasm, everything seems too hard and no fun anymore, trouble concentrating and making decisions, self esteem and self confidence through the floor etc etc. Often there's also reduced sex drive, and occasionally sleep and appetite are affected.
Young blokes often self medicate eg drink too much, dope etc or behave in a pretty reckless manner.

Just reel off a few of these, that plus you're body language will make the diagnosis easy for your GP. You can diagnose depression before the person has even sat down and opened their mouth very often, as a doc you can just feel it, see it many times.

You seriously don't need to feel uneasy about going. Every doc would have either had depression themselves at some stage or have a family member or friend with it -it's so unbelievably common and under reported.

It's usually a biochemical issue with a shortage of a chemical called serotonin.

Lexapro really is a good choice for either anxiety or depression, it fixes both, and usually if you got one, you've got bits of the other. Lexapro lifts the serotonin levels for you again.

Pure depression or pure anxiety is quite rare in fact. Usually its 70/30, 60/40, 20/80 or whatever.

I've just quit my Port Melbourne practice otherwise I'd scribble some out for you, but PM me if you'd like me to try and line something up.

They are a young practice ( most of them are early 30's just starting off their careers) and are great GPs and good guys as well.

I don't believe I have pure depression as I can feel all right sometimes, but it's just on the days when I am treated like absolute s**t I feel like garbage and fall into a hole for a few days.
So is that still considered a chemical imbalance?

I didn't realize you were actually a qualified doctor, much respect to you there.

My local GP feels so useless, It's like I really have to find someone decent before I can confess to them.

I have no energy, no drive and no enthusiasm, I can't sleep and I'm only eating once every 10 hours.
I saw an ad on TV that said half of Australia has a "mental illness". That's 1 in every 2 people they reckon. Well it would be a lot to do with, diet, lifestyle. But what makes a mental illness? Did they recently remove autism status and move it into the mental illness category?

I would feel at times having a mental illness makes you an individual. So now half of Australia is loaded with individuals? Unlikely.

You need a hobby, one that you can attend to whenever you have the energy.

Most of us feel down and out at times, some more often than others and the rest just plainly struggle throughout the whole daily system routine.

I know several people who are on anti depressants, they laugh and smile throughout the day, but something just aint right with them. But if it works for them, then great.

Booze will help you get through a crowed house when suffering with anxiety. Try going to a busy shopping mall, sit down and watch all the shopper's, you'll then see how anxious many folk really are.

Caffeine and sports drink are a big NO NO for anyone suffering a "mental illness". Try to avoid at all costs.

Some days are better than others, it's a life cycle. Keep away from anything or anyone that makes you wanna do something silly.

Also, do not expect happy things to fall into your lap. All that will happen on its own, actually , going out of one's way to help others, whether that be; weeding the garden or moving furniture has its reward.

Drinking away my sorrow....
Dunno why TD hates beer so much, it does it's job.

Because it can make people do Stupid Things. Well the is more for the People who go over the top with it.

Plus Beer is not fixing the Problem it would just Mask it

Because it can make people do Stupid Things. Well the is more for the People who go over the top with it.

Plus Beer is not fixing the Problem it would just Mask it
Over indulging with alcohol will make a twit out of anyone.

Beer is just masking the problem, just like anti depressants. Unfortunately popping a prescribed pill is not seen in the same light as drinking a few beers. And socially unacceptable theses days - unless it's red or white wine :D

But whatever works for the 'individual'.

Over indulging with alcohol will make a twit out of anyone.

Beer is just masking the problem, just like anti depressants. Unfortunately popping a prescribed pill is not seen in the same light as drinking a few beers. And socially unacceptable theses days - unless it's red or white wine :D

But whatever works for the 'individual'.

With respect EBB, I can't agree with the bolded bit.

I can understand someone thinking that though.

But where there's a lack of a certain brain chemical, and antidepressants correct that lack, ( bringing it back to basics) I don't see that as masking it.

Usually once the levels are restored, the person stays OK, sometimes forever. Other times people have recurring bouts. Usually if someone has a third or fourth recurrence, it then is best to stay on the pills, but the majority don't need that.

But for the sake of this overall discussion, even if your view was in fact judged as the correct one, I'd still be saying, "Well, Ok but so what?"

If a harmless, non addictive, stuff all side effects, once a day pill makes you function and feel way better ( as it does 90-95% of the time in my experience) in your life , either from the anxiety or depression angle, then where's the problem?

People are happy to swallow all manner of vitamin pills and potions that do SFA other than a placebo effect - why not swallow a safe, thoroughly tested pill that ( generally ) massively improves the way you function day to day from a personal, social and workplace level and any other perspective you care to name.

Alcohol on the other hand, is a depressant. When you feel all revved on the booze, it's actually because it's depressing/inhibiting your inhibitions.

I know it relaxes you in the moment, but it's all downhill after that if overused, as it usually is in this context :)

To each their own, not going to get into an argument here, just let others know there's two sides here to your opinion.

Overall I will say this though. If I was an antidepressant pill, I'd be looking for a new PR agent!

For all the good these tablets do, they get an amazing amount of bad press, very unfair I gotta say :)

I understand your thoughts about pills, and I didn't dismiss them. Not sure if you read both my posts but I'm not here to diagnose nor prescribe.

Just living in the moment.

I understand your thoughts about pills, and I didn't dismiss them. Not sure if you read both my posts but I'm not here to diagnose nor prescribe.

Just living in the moment.

Yep fair enough.

It's just that depression and anxiety are very common and very disabling in many ways and if I can even reassure just one person to go chat with a GP re their condition, and not feel apprehensive about chatting with their GP or be put off by the thought of treatment ( be it tablets or CBT type counselling ) then that's all I'm trying to do.

It can seem so overwhelming and gives such a sense of having taken over the person, that it just adds to the person's sense of being overcome by it.

Anyhow, enough from me :)

Drinking away my sorrow....
Dunno why TD hates beer so much, it does it's job.
Thats what I used to do, and you know what? I turned into an alcoholic, and once you're there its very hard to change. And eventually it doesn't work because alcohol it a depressive, it makes you depressed man!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back