Analysis I want Ruck Dominance not spillage disposals Will Minson

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell in as back-up, possibly Redpath out....but you get the feeling the boys like having Redpath after watching the team song

Never mind the thread title I think it's a topic worthy of discussion. My view is that we are too much of a monoculture with Will. Too predictable.

And when he goes to the bench for a rare rest whoever gets called in to take the taps (Jones, Roberts, Redpath...) are too easy and too small to match it with the opposition's monsters.

I think we need a Campbell or even a Cordy to take about 30% of the ruck contests, alternating as a resting forward. It's not a new idea I know, but it means we would have TWO competent ruckmen instead of one and they will have different styles and strengths which will keep the opposition guessing. It's also great insurance in case one of them gets injured.

That said, I thought Will had a very good game today but it's asking a lot of him to do that all match, every match, all season, one season after another.

Self explanatory post, and I won't respond to apologists as it's a fair question ?
Not only is it not a fair question but it is not even a question, it's a statement.

Self explanatory post, and I won't respond to apologists as it's a fair question ?

Sorry - what's the question?

That you want "ruck dominance"?

Great call, champ. I bet it never occurred to anyone at the Bulldogs that Will try to exhibit ruck dominance. I heard that night and day McCartney orders Will, "Hey Will, stop trying to win ruck contests, and focus more on spillage disposals. NOW!"

I bet Will is desperately trying not to dominate the ruck. You should be our coach with your excellent suggestions.

Every single thread acker starts, I wonder if he's drunk. Is it possible that he could be drunk every night?

Please don't respond though. I'm just an apologist.

Odd thread. Really, I don't see the point of posting a thread to make one little point about Will's ruckwork, particularly when there isn't anything but a vague reasoning that attempts to deflect any alternative opinions.

Comes off a really good game from Will, too. Was very happy with his ruckwork today, and he was virtually an extra midfielder at times, picked up the ball well and really dominated his opponents physically.

third season in a row that Minson is practically carrying the load himself..

What do you expect? ofcourse he's going to wear down, eventually. Cordy and Campbell need to step up.. Campbell could be forgiven, Cordy has had how many years now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's difficult to criticise big Will - as others have said he's carrying our ruck division all by himself and has done for a while now.

That said, I do sometimes wonder about the communication between him and our mids - there seem to be a lot of hitouts to areas that are obviously not to our advantage. Maybe not his fault, just more of a tactical issue.

Never mind the thread title I think it's a topic worthy of discussion. My view is that we are too much of a monoculture with Will. Too predictable.

And when he goes to the bench for a rare rest whoever gets called in to take the taps (Jones, Roberts, Redpath...) are too easy and too small to match it with the opposition's monsters.

I think we need a Campbell or even a Cordy to take about 30% of the ruck contests, alternating as a resting forward. It's not a new idea I know, but it means we would have TWO competent ruckmen instead of one and they will have different styles and strengths which will keep the opposition guessing. It's also great insurance in case one of them gets injured.

That said, I thought Will had a very good game today but it's asking a lot of him to do that all match, every match, all season, one season after another.
I completely agree with this post. But the thing is, Campbell can be a huge liability in the forward line if he doesn't mark the ball, and Cordy has hardly shown anything to give us an inkling that he will ever be an AFL-standard forward. The problem is that, at the moment, they're obviously just not good enough for AFL level. Otherwise they would be getting games.

I completely agree with this post. But the thing is, Campbell can be a huge liability in the forward line if he doesn't mark the ball, and Cordy has hardly shown anything to give us an inkling that he will ever be an AFL-standard forward. The problem is that, at the moment, they're obviously just not good enough for AFL level. Otherwise they would be getting games.

Difficult to argue with that. The potency of any ruck duo would seem to rely on one or both of them having some impact on the scoreboard - ceglar and mcevoy are not better rucks than jacobs, but together they probably forced a draw in the ruck on friday night but kicked a few goals between them as well. Hence they won the battle.

We don't have the luxury of picking a big man just to give Minson a chop out in the ruck - they need to be able to take contested marks and kick the odd goal. I haven't seen enough of Campbell or Cordy to be as authoritative as some others on this subject, but I would reckon macca hasn't seen enough to give one or the other a consistent run in that role.

You could say the same thing about Jones?

You could say the same thing about Jones?
Not really. Jones chases a lot, can crash a pack more and create a ground level ball and works harder and is a lot quicker and more agile.

How about some creativity and set plays at stoppages. Midfield coach and midfielders have to take some responsibility. We are very lucky to have minson playing like he is.

For all the bashing he cops, I like Jones. He's nothing less or more than a sledgehammer. I like sledgehammers.

When Cordy started I remember mumbling over the bar that he'd take a while to form, patience is wearing thin now though. He has the attributes, sadly I'm starting to think he doesn't have much of a footy brain. Hope I'm wrong, I said the same about Tom Williams and definitely decided he was leather illiterate just before his break through season a while back...

third season in a row that Minson is practically carrying the load himself..

What do you expect? ofcourse he's going to wear down, eventually. Cordy and Campbell need to step up.. Campbell could be forgiven, Cordy has had how many years now?

I remember people saying the same things about Will Minson at a similar stage to Cordy is at now. I'm not sure if Cordy will make it, but I wasn't always sure Will would either.

I remember people saying the same things about Will Minson at a similar stage to Cordy is at now. I'm not sure if Cordy will make it, but I wasn't always sure Will would either.

Its difficult to gauge isn't it? Cordy IMO seems to be a project player but I'm struggling to see the long term value if he's not performing at a level to get selected in the seniors. Given the fact that I have not been able to see the 2's play this year I cant rate his work rate in the reserves.

Its difficult to gauge isn't it? Cordy IMO seems to be a project player but I'm struggling to see the long term value if he's not performing at a level to get selected in the seniors. Given the fact that I have not been able to see the 2's play this year I cant rate his work rate in the reserves.

Look he's not setting the world on fire, he looks a ways off it for sure. But he competes well and is working, now and then you see some brilliance. At the start of this season, I'm sure he lost some bulk.....not that he had a lot....but he trimmed down, his agility was better. On the weekend he looked like he was out bodied a bit. He does not take enough over head marks in a contest to be a forward and he does not look to have enough bulk to ruck against the monsters. He is agile but not that quick and struggles to get separation from defenders.

His body is caught in betwix and in between. His game is as a result too....maybe he is mentally also and he is down on confidence. He needs to find his groove and once he does he will be ok. He still has time but they need to settle on what he is first and then maybe he will blossom.

I think they have left him at Footscray to develop, much like we did with Will just before he went bang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back