ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
With a bunch of 30 man prelim squads being announced and some discussion in different threads, I thought I'd chuck this up in preparation for the WC, starting Feb 14th.

Groups:

A
Australia
Sri Lanka
England
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Afghanistan
Scotland

B
South Africa
India
Pakistan
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Ireland
UAE

Announced 30 man prelim squads:

Announced 15 man squads:

Afghanistan:

Mohammad Nabi, Afsar Sazai, Aftab Alam, Ashgar Stanikzai, Dawlat Zadran, Gulbadin Naib, Hamid Hassan, Javed Ahmadi, Mirwais Ashraf, Najibullah Zadran, Nasir Jamal, Nawroz Mangal, Samiullah Shenwari, Shapoor Zadran, Usman Ghani, Hashmatullah Shaidi, Izatullah Dawlatzai, Shafiqullah, Sharafuddin Ashraf.

Bangladesh:

Mashrafe Mortaza, Al-Amin Hossain, Anamul Haque, Arafat Sunny, Mahmudullah, Mominul Haque, Mushfiqur Rahim, Nasir Hossain, Rubel Hossain, Sabbir Rahman, Shakib Al-Hasan, Soumya Sarkar, Taijul Islam, Tamim Iqbal, Taskin Ahmed.

England:

Eoin Morgan, Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Joe Root, James Taylor, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes.

India:

MS Dhoni, Ravi Ashwin, Stuart Binny, Shikhar Dhawan, Ravindra Jadeja, Virat Kohli, Bhuveshnar Kumar, Mohammad Shami, Akshar Patel, Ajinkya Rahane, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Ishant Sharma, Rohit Sharma, Umesh Yadav.

Ireland:

William Porterfield, Andy Balbirnie, Peter Chase, Alex Cusack, George Dockrell, Ed Joyce, Andy McBrine, John Mooney, Tim Murtagh, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Paul Stirling, Stuart Thompson, Gary Wilson, Craig Young.

Pakistan:

Misbah-Ul-Haq, Ahmed Shehzad, Ehsan Adil, Haris Sohail, Junaid Khan, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Irfan, Sarfraz Ahmed, Shahid Afridi, Sohaib Maqsood, Sohail Khan, Umar Akmal, Wahab Riaz, Yasir Shah, Younis Khan.

South Africa:

AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla, Kyle Abbott, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Aaron Phangiso, Vernon Philander, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn.

Sri Lanka:

Angelo Mathews, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dinesh Chandimal, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Rangana Herath, Mahela Jayawardene, Dimuth Karunaratne, Nuwan Kulasekara, Suranga Lakmal, Lasith Malinga, Jeevan Mendis, Thisara Perara, Dhammika Prasad, Kumar Sangakkara, Sachithra Senenyake.

Zimbabwe:

Elton Chigumbura, Regis Chakabva, Tendai Chatara, Chamu Chibhabha, Craig Ervine, Tafadzwa Kumungozi, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Solomon Mire, Tawanda Mupariwa, Tinashe Panyangara, Sikandar Raza, Brendan Taylor, Prosper Utseya, Sean Williams.

Last edited:

Australia, South Africa, New Zealand & India top 4 for me.

New Zealand & South Africa really have to stand up in pressure situations this world cup, if they do they can go all the way but I feel Australia & India are probably the two most likely to stand up in big games. West Indies the darkhorses.

Yeah was very good with the red ball but was just nothing special with only a few performances in the short form. 30 odd average this year but I guess that passes for a look in for the English.

Yeah, I mistook his good form in the championship assuming it translated to the one dayers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a decent look at the squads, it shouldn't be hard for England to narrow theirs down to 15, what an average group of players.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-2015-icc-cricket-world-cup-uniform/2014-11-06

DBA9D7340D6442A3BFF87A611EC121CC.ashx

One thing I wasn't sure about since the release of the groups, but the two hosts being placed in the same group doesn't sit right with me.

One thing I wasn't sure about since the release of the groups, but the two hosts being placed in the same group doesn't sit right with me.
unfortunate result of how the pools were chosen

i think the odd numbered ranked teams went into pool 1, even went pool 2 (and then the qualifiers)

also, something for the future - could we ever see a fifa type qualifying tournament?

2003 and 2007 had the best formats
Would never happen because 2 less finals means less $$$ but I would have it the top team from each group goes straight through to the semi, 2 and 3 play each other to get through to the semi to play the top team. Would make the group stage so much more meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back