ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 in Aus & NZ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what the group stages are for.

You don't see people complaining about easy wins in the FIFA WC group stages. Namibia and Fiji got pummeled by Wales at the last Rugby WC. Good teams should be winning in the group stages, and if they don't then they don't deserve to go through.

Look you shouldnt be comparing sports because the codes are two completely different games it terms of the way it is played and administered.

Look you shouldnt be comparing sports because the codes are two completely different games it terms of the way it is played and administered.

They are team sports hailing from the UK that were spread by Brits playing the game around the world.

Union, in particular, has a very similar history to cricket, and is a model that cricket should be looking to. They also have a core group of boards, and associate members. But they are far more open, and have done far more to grow their game than cricket has.

There is no reason not to compare their off-field administration.

A typically well thought out response.

Were you even aware that HK are an ODI team, and would've been at the World Cup if it was the same format as 2007 (four groups of four)?

A cocky arrogant comment.

All the countries I stated competed to be a part of the WC. :rolleyes:

Look we disagree and trust me you are no one at all that would be able to convince me that your argument to have non-test nations in is a good idea, similarly I am confident you feel the same about me. Move on.

Prediction time

Group A Final standings
Australia
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
England

Bangladesh
Afghanastan
Scotland

Group B
South Africa
Pakistan
India
Ireland

West Indies
Zimbabwe
UAE

Quarter Finals
Australia v Ireland
New Zealand v India
Sri Lanka v Pakistan
South Africa v England

Semi Finals
Australia v Sri Lanka
South Africa v New Zealand

Final
Australia v South Africa (could go either way, but SA have the chokers tag in WC)

Last edited:
I'm not saying the minnow nations should be kicked out, because ultimately I don't think it matters much, but cricket's (and rugby union's) portrayal of itself as a worldwide phenomenon has always been a little fanciful. There's about 200 countries in the world and you can count on your fingers (and maybe toes) how many care about cricket. So saying "But the world!" as an argument for X number of minnows is a bit... redundant, is that the word I'm looking?

The only way that will ever change is if the ICC finds a willingness to plough so much money into developing nations GWS and Gold Coast will look like pocket change. That will never happen for good and bad reasons.

Prediction time

Group A Final standings
Australia
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
England

Bangladesh
Afghanastan
Scotland

Group B
South Africa
Pakistan
India
Ireland

West Indies
Zimbabwe
UAE

Quarter Finals
Australia v Ireland
New Zealand v India
Sri Lanka v Pakistan
South Africa v England

Semi Finals
Australia v Sri Lanka
South Africa v New Zealand

Final
Australia v South Africa (could go either way, but SA have the chokers tag in WC)

Reckon it might be worth having a prediction thread.

I was going to wait until after the tri-series, but now's good enough I guess.

That's what the group stages are for.

You don't see people complaining about easy wins in the FIFA WC group stages. Namibia and Fiji got pummeled by Wales at the last Rugby WC. Good teams should be winning in the group stages, and if they don't then they don't deserve to go through.
You could argue the same for tennis and grand slams and make it a top 64 comp.

The England vs Bangladesh game is in Adelaide. Probably the only major Aussie venue that would favour Bangaldesh's spin-heavy attack ahead of England's pace battery. It's unlikely, but I'd love to see the Tigers go through to the quarters through an absolute strangulation by their left arm spinners of England's batsmen during the middle overs.

Spin is going to be our kyrptonite at the WC. Both facing it and our lack of quality with it.

Imo you need to ensure you have 5 quality bowlers bowling 50 overs. The 6th and 7th for pure back up in case someone gets hurt or is having a barry

Faulkner's batting makes him good enough to slot in at 7.

Warner
Finch/Watson
Smith
Clarke
Bailey
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
??
Doherty

Imo - that is the best X1 we have from our squad. My ambivolence to Finch's batting would make me lean to watson over him, purely due to the reserve bowling option.

It is a pity clarke can't bowl - because he'd be very handy as a reserve spin option.

The last bowling position is the tough one - no one is really screaming out for it from the X1. It is a pity Clint McKay hasn't been fit - i'm not exactly sure how he does it - but he would be good in the middle overs banging the ball into the pitch and making it hard to get away without pace. Perhaps Hazelwood can do the same role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Murtagh is out of the World Cup with a fractured foot, Max Sorensen is his replacement.

I doubt he's injured, he's just too old for this s**t!

And your view leads on the whole to a tournament where it doesnt realistically begin till the QT finals where viewers like yourself are waiting for that rare upset win to get all giddy and excited about. Even then a rare win doesnt lead to qualification. Sure massive underdogs have landed in QT finals and even semi-finals.

It wont happen this year. Big call. I know.:cool:

it is a big call. An associate has beaten a full member at every cup, bar none!

Well Ireland are a possible chance.
I'd say they are the best chance of the minnows for qualifying

Would expect South Africa, India and Pakistan to qualify from Group B, and so there will be one spot left for either Zimbabwe, West Indies or Ireland

Compared to Group A, where the strength of Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and England should be too much for the minnows and Bangladesh

The format this year would make it easier for a minnow to make the quarters

Actually its the opposite. Should the upset occur, the Test nation would need to make up for the loss which is more likely than a minnow beating another Test nation.

In any case its an opinion, neither is wrong till the series plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back