Iconic moment of the Games

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose they can't really have athletes souveniring the equipment left right and centre, and I guess it's not for the lowest minion of officialdom who collects the batons after the race to decide when the moment is right to make an exception. It all worked out in the end.

That's a good point yeah. We've all been in positions where we would have no problems bending the rules for someone, but there is someone above us that might not be so impressed, or if their happy to do it there might be someone above them who is not so impressed, and so on.

And then you get in that catch-22 situation where you don't bend the rule, get the guy above you involved and that person thinks you're an idiot and wasted their time for not just letting something go and having to bring them in, especially when you know they'd 90% likely crack the shits if you did just let it go in the first place.... Pain in the ass really making those sort of judgements. [/Slight Tangent]

It was the last athletics event of the Olympics - at the stadium as marathon next day was the last. So yeah rules to protect the equipment have to be in place but some common sense was applied as nobody else needed the baton after the race. If its like Sydney, either the baton would have been sold at an auction or given to UK Athletics.

I wouldn't be surprised if Seb Coe saw it or somebody told him about it, and a phone call was made pretty quickly.

Has to be Anna Meares for me

five years ago she had a horrific crash and broke her neck
one year later she wins bronze at bejing
now she is olympic champion two olympics after her first. stunning achievement and probably the most inspirational australian story

Another inspiration is Kieran Behan - Irish gymnast, story is truly amazing and a level above what Meares went through

Yep saw that when it was on Gruen Sweat a few weeks ago, think the first week of the Olympics, in the pitch segment and pissed my self when they played it. I think it won 4-0

Yep saw that went it was on Gruen Sweat a few weeks ago, think the first week of the Olympics, in the pitch segment and pissed my self when they played it. I think it won 4-0

I pissed myself twice. i was telling someone at work about it the next day, and only then got the 'double-header' reference (yes, I'm dense).

Imagine being the poor girl who had to put her companies ad attempt (which was pretty feeble anyway) up against it. I'm surprised she didn't just crawl away before the embarassment of the judging.........

i reckon it is so inspirational to see all the paralympians get gold, break world and paralympic records! its great!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back