IF a Grand Final is drawn it shouldnt be replayed , just play the last qrt longer

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was 2006 where they said there were at least 4 or so players from both teams, and we're talking stars, who could never have got up for a replay.

The premiership would have been decided by inferior teams with gun players in the stands. They'd either gone into or played out the GF with injuries due to short term medical management. So many players are carrying injuries late in the year.

All the planning is about the GF being the last battle of the year, and the last it should always be.

What i hate is the replay buildup and match doesn't match the atmosphere of the previous week. A replay might be more advantageous to one team compared to the other (eg: if extra time was played St Kilda might have won as Collingwood were not the best team on that day, but the week later they clearly pants the Saints).

I would like an entire extra "half" of football - two 10 or 15 minute quarters. Otherwise i think a replay the week after is sufficient.

Around the world basketball style from the 50 meter line :D
Replays are more advantageous to victorian sides eg if it was a Freo/Hawks grand final again this year and it ended up being a draw, it would be unfair on Freo due to the added travel factor
Plus a drawn grand final next year would have interesting implications + clashes with cricket due to the already late start to the season + late grand final date!

Barry Breen

Collingwood apparently had time to work the ball to the other end of the ground before St Kilda repelled. And even if Breen's kick had been with five seconds left, did the teams have any more idea than the spectators how much time was left in those days? The commentators certainly never seemed to have the faintest idea.

keep our great game the way it is. I thought 2010 grand final was a terrible spectacle thanks to collingwood's press it was just lucky it was a close game
How would you feel if the Suns drew a GF with a Victorian club, had to fly back to the Gold Coast and then back to Melbourne again? The replay may have been ok in the VFL days but it is an outdated concept that has no place in a national competition.

I wanted to see what a replay would be like in the modern era... to experience the bizarre result and shock and what the "buildup" would be like to the replay.

Now that' we've experienced it... it sucked for everyone bar the the people that run the AFL and Pie fans.

Needs to be decided on the day. Extra time like the other finals.

How would you feel if the Suns drew a GF with a Victorian club, had to fly back to the Gold Coast and then back to Melbourne again? The replay may have been ok in the VFL days but it is an outdated concept that has no place in a national competition.
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee,,,,,, I couldn't care less it just means I'm going to Melbourne 2 weekends in a row I don't see the down side in that (more time off work)........PLUS leave the game alone it doesn't need to change and its very unlikely you will see another drawn grand final in your life time anyway so why make a big fuss over a once in a blue moon event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee,,,,,, I couldn't care less it just means I'm going to Melbourne 2 weekends in a row I don't see the down side in that (more time off work)........PLUS leave the game alone it doesn't need to change and its very unlikely you will see another drawn grand final in your life time anyway so why make a big fuss over a once in a blue moon event.
I've seen two drawn Collingwood Grand Finals in my lifetime, and I'm only halfway through...

So even though your team would be at a huge disadvantage, you wouldn't care? And who's to say it won't happen again soon? I'm all for keeping some things in this game but GF replays are not one of them.

I thought it was cool when it happened in 2010, but the replay was such a fizzer it would have been better had it gone into extra time, even if it was the same ultimate result (a thrashing Collingwood's way).

So even though your team would be at a huge disadvantage, you wouldn't care? And who's to say it won't happen again soon? I'm all for keeping some things in this game but GF replays are not one of them.
I don't know about you but the best time of the year September and there is nothing worse then waking up on the Sunday after the grand final and realizing there is no more football until February.... but if there's a draw well you get one more grand final weekend and that gets you pumped up again. does it suck the atmosphere out of the air?? I don't think so... are teams at a disadvantage??? No there not because they have been doing it all year otherwise they wouldn't of made the grand final

The disadvantage for non-Victorian teams flows entirely from the inherent unfairness of having the grand final at a set location; if you're prepared to accept that a grand final between a Victorian and non-Victorian team will give the Victorian team a home advantage, what does it really mean to say that it would be unreasonable to do that again the following week? Why is it okay to gift a team a virtual home game once, but problematic on the rare occasion that it occurs again? I think there are some fair arguments for changing to an extra-time grand final format, but this isn't really one of them.

That would be so lame.. one team would just bomb it 60 metres then punch it through for a point and win the grand final :thumbsdown:
Because it's so easy for a team to get uncontested possession out of the centre after four quarters and kick it 60m to another no contest.:confused:

I would be happy with them blowing the siren and bringing it straight back to the centre for a bounce. First score wins.

Because it's so easy for a team to get uncontested possession out of the centre after four quarters and kick it 60m to another no contest.:confused:

I would be happy with them blowing the siren and bringing it straight back to the centre for a bounce. First score wins.

Nah if you go down that route it's gotta be first goal. Gives the defending team a fighting chance and makes set shots much more dramatic.

Two 5 minutes halves is fairer though.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee,,,,,, I couldn't care less it just means I'm going to Melbourne 2 weekends in a row I don't see the down side in that (more time off work)........

I guess you missed the stories about there literally not being enough flights to transport all the people that wanted to make the trip from Perth to Melbourne and (naturally) didn't know whether they needed a flight until less than a week before. Meaning they had to schedule flights (and accommodation) several days before it was necessary to be in Melbourne, take the cross country drive/train option, or do transfers via Denpasar or Singapore.

My guess is most people that could afford to drop over five figures at the drop of a hat to make back to back trips to Melbourne to attend a grand final and replay probably wouldn't find it easy to lock in several days' worth of leave two weeks in a row, the weekend before they needed to take them.

PLUS leave the game alone it doesn't need to change and its very unlikely you will see another drawn grand final in your life time anyway so why make a big fuss over a once in a blue moon event.

Average Australian's life expectancy: 82 years (and rising)

Drawn grand finals in the past 82 years: 3

Would you care to have a crack at the definition of 'very unlikely'?

The disadvantage for non-Victorian teams flows entirely from the inherent unfairness of having the grand final at a set location; if you're prepared to accept that a grand final between a Victorian and non-Victorian team will give the Victorian team a home advantage, what does it really mean to say that it would be unreasonable to do that again the following week? Why is it okay to gift a team a virtual home game once, but problematic on the rare occasion that it occurs again? I think there are some fair arguments for changing to an extra-time grand final format, but this isn't really one of them.

Because of the need to travel interstate two weeks in a row. Doesn't usually happen during the season, and it is made worse by the fact this is effectively Round 27 or thereabouts.

Extra time, went to both the games in 2010, and the second one had about half the atmosphere, build up and feel. the repay felt like a big home and away game.

extra time would be epic, in terms of excitement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back