Discussion If a team were to win a premiership wearing an away strip...

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
West Coast's offseason marketing campaign heading into season 2016 is going to be huge; almost as huge as it would have been had they won the flag. I'm of the belief that West Coast will be wearing wings at home next season. Had they lifted the cup on Saturday it would've been the logical decision - four premierships in wings, not to mention the sales a premiership guernsey would pull in. I think this logic will be applied nonetheless, a change as such would be welcomed by fans as a return to tradition in a drive towards success - it's logical marketing. This being said, a win on Saturday would've assured a return to wings in 2016.

West Coast are obviously a pretty simple equation to the question I'm currently pondering. The wings are their most storied and iconic jumper, so a return has almost been on the cards for a while now... but where does this sit with teams like Hawthorn, whose clash jumper is metallic silver with ushers of gold running through? Here's a hypothetical for you; Hawthorn beats Adelaide in the 2016 Grand Final, two teams the AFL really insists on a clash jumper being worn between. Photos of Hawthorn's historic four-peat go down in history with the Hawks in silver white and gold... what would that mean for the future of the Hawthorn Football Club? What do kids like us in 2066 flicking through their 'Hawthorn 4-peat 50 year anniversary' book make of this silver get up?

How do Hawthorn handle paying tribute to this premiership jumper... one which differs hugely from their other 13 premiership jumpers... Do they keep it on in variations throughout their future, evolving the image until it's a part of the club? Do they wear it every time they play Adelaide, as an ode to the jumper? Or do they just change their shirt to lift the cup and forget about it? In this scenario, this jumper becomes more than just the change kit. this jumper becomes a premiership guernsey, every other guernsey that fits in this category is pretty recognisable.

This sort of thing isn't all that uncommon in soccer. Spain wore a black away shirt when they won the World Cup in 2010. Argentina would've been in a blue gradient had they won it in '14 - a far cry from their traditional sky blue stripes. Soccer clubs generally don't mind playing big games in second or even third kits, it's an opportunity to show off a product that is pretty heavily marketed by the likes of Nike and Adidas, they'll simply switch to their traditional kits after the final whistle when winning Cup Finals etc. This same logic isn't really applicable to the AFL. Drastically different away jumpers are a generally recent thing on the scope of the league's history, with the issue of clash jumpers still being debated by fans.

Lance-Franklin-Grand-Final-Mark.jpg

Fremantle wore their clash jumper in the 2013 Grand Final also only 2 years after completely rebranding the clubs uniforms,

321148-leigh-montagna.jpg

St. Kilda also wore mainly white in 2010,

889248-nathan-buckley.jpg

Collingwood wore their primarily black kit in the 2002/2003 Grand Finals only a few years after adopting it as their home jumper in favour of its mostly white jumper.

So anyway, what are your thoughts?

Clubs should design clash kits that they would be happy to win a premiership in. So if you don't want to look like a squad of Power Rangers on the dais, don't create a guernsey that will make you look like a squad of Power Rangers.

The next time Port make a grand final I would be absolutely fine with wearing our white kit if there's a clash and we're the second ranked team.

I'd settle for the Prison Bars and white shorts if we're playing Richmond though. ;-)

Like Heardy said, St Kilda were going to swap into home jumpers in 2010 had the game gone for another 30 seconds :cry: I've also heard rumours that our 2011 home guernsey would have had a wider white panel had we gotten over the line.

Then again, the only time a St Kilda captain has been handed the premiership cup he was wearing a Collingwood jumper, and we didn't start wearing white and black stripes then so I'm sure we would have been happy with no change.

I wonder what home guernsey we'd be wearing today if we'd won the 97 grand final. I don't think the hot cross bun would have stayed on, but we might have more of a cross element to our guernsey, like our former clash jumper.

If we were to win a premiership in our current clash jumper, I wouldn't be against making it our home guernsey, at least for a year or two, probably with a black back.

Question is, would Brisbane potentially wear the red strip these days if they made the grand final?
Potentially, but if they do reach the grand final, I think they should just keep using the Home guernsey. They're the Brisbane Lions now, not Fitzroy. They need to sort of start having their own identity. At least for Finals anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love the away guernsey and it was a great idea to bring it in. Just that there could be more Fitzroy fans who are annoyed at Brisbane wearing a Fitzroy inspired jumper in the GF than people who are proud of them..

Potentially, but if they do reach the grand final, I think they should just keep using the Home guernsey. They're the Brisbane Lions now, not Fitzroy. They need to sort of start having their own identity. At least for Finals anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love the away guernsey and it was a great idea to bring it in. Just that there could be more Fitzroy fans who are annoyed at Brisbane wearing a Fitzroy inspired jumper in the GF than people who are proud of them..

Last time Brisbane made finals they wore their "Fitzroy" jumper. Was vs Bulldogs.

Potentially, but if they do reach the grand final, I think they should just keep using the Home guernsey.

You do realise that the last four Grand Finals Brisbane were in, they wore their 'home" guernsey?

They need to sort of start having their own identity. At least for Finals anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love the away guernsey and it was a great idea to bring it in.

The "away" guernsey differs in one respect from the "home" guernsey. Red becomes maroon. Fitzroy wore both colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they were to play the GF in Melbourne though, WCE set the precedent of wearing interstate guernseys in Grand Finals. The only team I can think of that haven't worn such a kit in a Melbourne GF would be Adelaide in their old red get-up?

If they were to play the GF in Melbourne though, WCE set the precedent of wearing interstate guernseys in Grand Finals. The only team I can think of that haven't worn such a kit in a Melbourne GF would be Adelaide in their old red get-up?

I'm not sure that West Coast are setting a precedent for all other non-Vic teams to follow. They prefer that jumper for GF's, and thats their perogative, but that doesn't mean all others should.

Adelaide, Port, Brisbane and Sydney have all only worn home jumpers in a GF. Freo chose to wear their away jumper but only because they don't like to mix and match their kits. If they were allowed to wear purple shorts, they would have worn the purple jumper.

Last time Brisbane made finals they wore their "Fitzroy" jumper. Was vs Bulldogs.
Grand Finals, they didn't.
You do realise that the last four Grand Finals Brisbane were in, they wore their 'home" guernsey?
I watched the matches, yes.
The "away" guernsey differs in one respect from the "home" guernsey. Red becomes maroon. Fitzroy wore both colours.
Yep, they did. Good point.
But people associate Fitzroy more with the away guernsey nowadays, as it was their last guernsey.
Wearing the Home guernsey honours both clubs' maroon days as well.

Adelaide, Port, Brisbane and Sydney have all only worn home jumpers in a GF. Freo chose to wear their away jumper but only because they don't like to mix and match their kits. If they were allowed to wear purple shorts, they would have worn the purple jumper.
Freo don't wear the white religiously interstate, they wear it in the case of a clash. Adelaide, Port and Sydney have clash guernseys, not away guernseys, whereas Brisbane have the red which is worn interstate at every possible opportunity (as far as I can recall). WCE wear the wings as an away, unless the clash is stipulated. That's what I'm getting at. Also, if I'm not mistaken, when Brisbane threepeated, they did not have the red in their kit bag?

Freo don't wear the white religiously interstate, they wear it in the case of a clash. Adelaide, Port and Sydney have clash guernseys, not away guernseys, whereas Brisbane have the red which is worn interstate at every possible opportunity (as far as I can recall)
Traditional footballing states. SA, WA, VIC and Tassie.

I think that away guernseys should be designed based off either a home, or traditional (see West Coast) design that clubs would be happy to wear in the case of a grand final.

Stop with the crappy OTT guernseys and make something that you could see yourself lifting a cup in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back