If Abbott gets removed from the leadership of the Coalition who will replace him?

If the Coalition decide to remove Abbott who will most likely replace him?

• Warren Truss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Julie Bishop

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Joe Hockey

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Christopher Pyne

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Kevin Andrews

• Malcolm Turnbull

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Andrew Robb

• Greg Hunt

• Scott Morrison

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • George Brandis

• Other - Please Specify

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I think after everything they made about Rudd/Gillard they really can't dump him this term.
They spent 3 years whining about honesty and election promises, and Abbott has easily eclipsed the last government for breaking his word. Hypocrisy is not something politicians shy away from.

Politics is a dirty game - if he's still languishing a year from now he may very well cop the axe

They spent 3 years whining about honesty and election promises, and Abbott has easily eclipsed the last government for breaking his word. Hypocrisy is not something politicians shy away from.

Politics is a dirty game - if he's still languishing a year from now he may very well cop the axe

Do you think if the Libs dump Abbot, then Credlin would dump him too?:rolleyes:

If they do get rid of him I bet they will make him come out and say that he is resigning for the better good of the Liberal Party to make it seem like he wasn't pushed so people don't draw comparisons with the Rudd/Gillard debacle.

Can say he's resigning to spend more time with his family....

....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

No need to swap PM's. Closer to the election millions of Australians who disengaged from politics last year will re-engage.. they'll see Shortens going into the election with exactly the same policies that were roundly rejected by the electorate in 2013. Victoria will be a basketcase again after 2 years of corrupt union government, and the whole political world will right itself pretty quickly.
But dont take my word for it - latest election odds (Sportsbet and Betfair)

LIBERAL/NATIONAL PARTY 1.6 1.5
LABOR 2.3 2.5

Best odds for Who will be Coalition leader at Next Aust Fed Election?

TONY ABBOTT 1.33
MALCOLM TURNBULL 4.5
JOE HOCKEY 10.0
JULIE BISHOP 13.0

No need to swap PM's. Closer to the election millions of Australians who disengaged from politics last year will re-engage.. they'll see Shortens going into the election with exactly the same policies that were roundly rejected by the electorate in 2013. Victoria will be a basketcase again after 2 years of corrupt union government, and the whole political world will right itself pretty quickly.

LABOR 2.3 2.5

TONY ABBOTT 1.33
MALCOLM TURNBULL 4.5
JOE HOCKEY 10.0
JULIE BISHOP 13.0
I prefer tarot cards myself.

If he is replaced I would imagine he would give his successor clean air, it's difficult to imagine him backgrounding and sniping away in the background as Rudd did.

Turnbull would be the one who can most easily change major policies without people getting upset as everyone already knows that right now Turnbull is trying to sell a lot of policies at the moment that he does not really believe in so it would be much easier for the electorate to swallow him making quite a lot of large changes if he was brought into power.

Even if the polls continue to be this dire? I wouldn't be so sure about that.

If they're losing a year out they'll get rid of him.

If they do get rid of him I bet they will make him come out and say that he is resigning for the better good of the Liberal Party to make it seem like he wasn't pushed so people don't draw comparisons with the Rudd/Gillard debacle.

Stepping down may be a possibility but they won't replace him because doing so would ensure electoral defeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they have nothing against him though. Bishop still remains to be the #1 contender.
1.gif

I’m an Abbott fan, but also a realist. It has been ruthless and unwarranted but Abbott has been permanently stained by leftist character assassination over many years and as a result his political persona is beyond salvation among younger voters, the welfare dependent and the mindlessly stupid. If he is sacked in panic just before the next election the Conservatives will go down, and so will Australia’s chances of a decent economic future. If he willingly resigns in favour of Bishop now, the left will lose 90% of its attack ammo and focus can return to issues, and senate obstructionists. The country needs it, it would devastate Labor’s bitch-slap style, but Abbott would be a HUGE man to do it.

:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:It has been ruthless and unwarranted but Abbott has been permanently stained by leftist character assassination over many years and as a result his political persona is beyond salvation...:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:
The Mad Monk appears as a lying-wuckfit-nincompoop because of the loony left:drunk::drunk::drunk:

LABOR 2.3 2.5

TONY ABBOTT 1.33
MALCOLM TURNBULL 4.5
JOE HOCKEY 10.0
JULIE BISHOP 13.0
What were Rudd's odds in mid-2010?

PS Abbott's odds at being leader at the next election are longer than Shorten's. Not the best sign.

Last edited:
:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:It has been ruthless and unwarranted but Abbott has been permanently stained by leftist character assassination over many years and as a result his political persona is beyond salvation...:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:
The Mad Monk appears as a lying-wuckfit-nincompoop because of the loony left:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Perfect representation.

I’m an Abbott fan, but also a realist. It has been ruthless and unwarranted but Abbott has been permanently stained by leftist character assassination over many years and as a result his political persona is beyond salvation among younger voters, the welfare dependent and the mindlessly stupid. If he is sacked in panic just before the next election the Conservatives will go down, and so will Australia’s chances of a decent economic future. If he willingly resigns in favour of Bishop now, the left will lose 90% of its attack ammo and focus can return to issues, and senate obstructionists. The country needs it, it would devastate Labor’s bitch-slap style, but Abbott would be a HUGE man to do it.
Love your work Exy.

:D

What's with you blokes? It's only taken you 14 months to start a leadership speculation thread.

NEWSFLASH: Some SMH hack will use the posts on this thread to write an article on the subject.
Your posts will be paraphrased as "anonymous sources within the government."

So RUNVS, Sherb, Poller & NTRabbit comments will be written up as members of the inner government
(a) there have already had threads about replacing him
(b) you are paranoid and/or overly optimistic if you think SMH is making up its sources and reading this thread
(c) conservative commentators are already talking about big changes
(d) even GuruJane has moved on from her Abbott love. Christian Porter appears to be the new messiah. I expect a Dan26 post about it to appear at the top of Google results anytime now. :)

Newman is safe were he is.
I think I can correct (b) above to 'you are overly optimistic'.
Also Kelly O'Dwyer? Her + Frydenburg potentially in 2019/2022
Frydenburg more than O'Dwyer. Apparently Bolt had him around for his end of season/series dinner. Hopefully that is more about Bolt trying to hitch his wagon to Josh, rather than vice-versa.

Last edited:
What has Abbott done that has made you a fan?

Frydenburg more than O'Dwyer. Apparently Bolt had him around for his end of season/series dinner. Hopefully that is more about Bolt trying to hitch his wagon to Josh, rather than vice-versa.
Frydenburg is the MP for my electorate which has always been Liberal so he will be there as long as he wants which gives the Libs plenty of time to groom him for a leading role.

Back