Strategy If Brett Montgomery is Coach it needs to be announced Wendnesday

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll have to disagree quite strongly with you there. Three years is a long time in most industries, in the AFL it's a huge amount of time.
I would not be impressed at all if the club started off its search for a new coach by going straight to the stack of applications they received three years ago.

Not the AFL Coaching industry

I'm sure Chris Grant knows the landscape well - especially considering two former Western Bulldog Assistant Coaches are now AFL Senior Coaches at StKilda and GWS

God no we can't rush this.

Can't rush what ?

Went through this process 3 years ago with the same selection leader Chris Grant

It is what it is

And my opening post included provisions why I would take longer

Sounds to me you just said it should take longer for the sake of taking longer and bugger all else

I'll have to disagree quite strongly with you there. Three years is a long time in most industries, in the AFL it's a huge amount of time.
I would not be impressed at all if the club started off its search for a new coach by going straight to the stack of applications they received three years ago.

Totally agree. It goes against all the principles of employing someone and getting the best person filling an incredible important position (apart from being completely amateur).

We need an external. There is / was enough crap lying around a good karcher and broom is required

I personally was stunned when Monty won the award this year

I really don't know how good he is or isn't but Brendon Bolton had to win it this year and the point that he didn't shows me the award might be Micky mouse
How an assistant who coached the senior team to 4/5 wins without a loss doesn't win it is baffling
I could have coached the Hawks to 4/5 wins :cool:

Firstly no need to rush, training starts early November and early bits run by fitness staff.

Drafting has next to to hing to do with a coach, criteria for this draft would already set.

Not sure on who should coach, any assistant risks being a Neeld, Sanderson...... Any coach with previous experience will have some baggage.

No matter who is chosen there will be a coaching thread as there is no coach all will agree with.

Personally, I would go an experienced coach who has either coached or played in an AFL premiership. They know what is required, they have been there, and would have learnt a hell of a lot in there prior experience

The last time I was this baffled by a thread it was another one of yours, acker.

It was when you were putting Robert Murphy's head on a spike. That's certainly held up in hindsight - almost the only person holding any position in this club over the age of 22 that isn't *^&%ed up.

I don't understand this thread at all - What's the big rush to give Monty trade time? Not enough players on the block for your liking this trade period? Will we have any players left at all by Wednesday? And what kind of trades could he engineer in one day anyway? Sh!t, desperate, losing trades is about all.

Think about how terrible it would look to not just the entire world but importantly to our own supporters and players if we didn't even seriously consider someone other than a current Dogs assistant coach for the position, after all the cr@p that's gone down. And you don't think it might be slightly divisive to employ as coach a person who was intimately involved in everything that has gone down during the last 6 months? Why not make Griff coach? I hear he's at $41!

Then there's your reasoning for why we MUST employ him. A lame list filled with items like that he took lots of marks and played in a PF. WOW! Well if our analysis is that superficial then why not pick Stuart Dew instead cause he WON premierships as an ass coach and player. AMAZING! But then Monty WON ASSISTANT COACH OF THE YEAR!!!!! Well, Priddis won the Brownlow. Let's throw $2 million at Priddis to be our midfield general right now!!!!!

I'm sorry - too much cr@p has occurred over the last few days to tolerate this kind of garbage - even as comic relief.

Pah.

Absolutely no way it's done that quickly. No chance. J mac and dalrymple are beasts at what they do. Chill. List management is in good hands.

totally agree its plain as houses what this list needs no need to rush or be seen rushing, that said i think Monty surrounded by WB assistants, rather that the geelong flog squad, is the way to go. Im sick of falling down trying to copy others, u cant import "culture" u have to have it homegrown for it to stick. lets not make the mistake eade made when he went out and got barry hall because "u cant win a premiership without a gorilla" according to these skinny anemic men who pose as footy journalist and destroyed a gameplan that was solely ours and effective and i still believe till this day was a poor umpiring decision away from a premiership. (a decision which till this day has never been repeated since)

totally agree its plain as houses what this list needs no need to rush or be seen rushing, that said i think Monty surrounded by WB assistants, rather that the geelong flog squad, is the way to go. Im sick of falling down trying to copy others, u cant import "culture" u have to have it homegrown for it to stick. lets not make the mistake eade made when he went out and got barry hall because "u cant win a premiership without a gorilla" according to these skinny anemic men who pose as footy journalist and destroyed a gameplan that was solely ours and effective and i still believe till this day was a poor umpiring decision away from a premiership. (a decision which till this day has never been repeated since)
No issue with Monty personally, would however like an experienced coach this time around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No issue with Monty personally, would however like an experienced coach this time around

Some commentators mentioning part of the problem is how older coaches of Maccas era are handling Gen Y players which is why I'd like someone younger this time

If Bomber Thomson raises his hand fine, as for others Mark Williams maybe but I thought Brett Ratten was given more than enough time, resources and players at Carlton and failed likewise Mathew Knights at Essendon

Some commentators mentioning part of the problem is how older coaches of Maccas era are handling Gen Y players which is why I'd like someone younger this time

If Bomber Thomson raises his hand fine, as for others Mark Williams maybe but I thought Brett Ratten was given more than enough time, resources and players at Carlton and failed likewise Mathew Knights at Essendon
Tbh though Aker I believe the commentators are talking crap. A good communicator is a good communicator no matter the age. Tactics are not determined by age. The one thing you cannot buy is experience. IF the person has learnt and can develop from experience they will be even better the next opportunity they get.

I am in my late 40's. a lot who work for me are gen y's. yes they have been brought up in a different environment but they are not aliens and remember coaches or managers also have to adapt to the new environment or they will never succeed

As I said in the original post if it's a contest between assistant coaches, finalising it on Wednesday gives the appointed coach 24 Hours while the trade window I'd open.

If other contestants like Senior Coaches are involved .. That's different and the time extended

But we did this 3 years ago - if it doesn't involve Senior Coaches we already have the applications of those who didn't get the job Macca did after Rocket left
I get where you are coming from as with a senior coach its better to make trades with the in coming players knowing who will coach them but it cant be rushed just for that full stop IMO

The last thing this club needs is an 'insider' who knows all the players. A new broom sweeps clean, someone who won't be deterred by the fact that they could get the flick at any time if the don't bow to the wishes of sooky-la-la players...*sigh*

Eade is a Master tactician. No doubt about that. Lyon rates him the hardest coach to coach against. We didn't have riewoldt but the game plan Eade sprang in the 09 prelim was sublime

He'd be great as a senior assistant, but I want a new age head coach. Someone like leppa and the way he's been able to bond with the Brisbane kids is what I'm after. Come on Stewie dew.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back