List Mgmt. If GWS Snaffle up Laverde with pick 4 then who do we take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints: McCartin / Petracca
Demons: Petracca + Wright / McCartin + Brayshaw
GWS: Brayshaw / Wright
If they go Laverde we swoop on Brayshaw or Wright

I've got a funny feeling one of McCartin or Brayshaw (long shot) will fall to 5.

If not, I'm warming to the prospect of Wright, seems like a capable FF as well as ruck. Wright > White 3rd tall/ruck (in terms of potential of course)

Wright. Moore/Wright in the one draft sets us up for years to come. Assuming Melbourne don't take him with 2/3.

Could Build a Forward Line with those 2. Have 1 super Athlete and 1 Big Body

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people forgetting we are getting Moore? Not sure why we would want Wright as well, Weller or Ahern would be a better option especially since we have lost Beams.

Because Moore is the only young forward we have. We need more than just him. Mids are easier to come by, and don't take as long to develop. We can get more mids later in the draft or next year, etc, but young 200cm key forwards who can turn in the ruck are much more rare. Moore might not even turn into a forward to be honest.

Wright. Moore/Wright in the one draft sets us up for years to come. Assuming Melbourne don't take him with 2/3.

I think you are spot on Ketchup, Wright would be an excellent pick up at 5 but like you mentioned I also reckon Wright is a good fit for Melbourne. Would be surprised if they let him slide.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Lever. He's not necessarily the type of player we 'need' but from a best available stand point and from a type of person (desire, work rate etc) stand point, I think we'll seriously look at taking him. Especially if we want to swing Reid forward long term and if Scharenberg projects as a midfielder/utility more than a backman/utility.

Otherwise I'm interested in Lachie Weller. He's not really someone who projects as having an extremely high ceiling, but he's a type who has a very rounded game and whether he improves a little bit as he grows or matures or if he improves a lot, he's someone who will have a long career of good to very good football. He's a safe bet but also a good one, in my opinion.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Lever actually because it sets us up nicely for a decade with Moore. He looks pretty good and we can wait for him to come right. I'm not that hot on Wright but admittedly that is from limited vision. He looks to me like a ruck and we have those already.

My preference has been Laverde, Pickett and Weller but there is something to be said for nailing down our spine. I reckon Essendon have done well in the last few years in nabbing key position stock. You get the skeleton right and you can fill in the flesh after that.

It's much easier to find mids, small forwards and small defenders than to get quality talls into your list. A ruck can be bought in but a KPD/F is not so easy. We really need some x-factor but there are those types of players available at later picks every year (see Hawks and Cats recruiting).

I'm starting to lean toward Lever.

Are people forgetting we are getting Moore? Not sure why we would want Wright as well, Weller or Ahern would be a better option especially since we have lost Beams.
By that reasoning the Hawks shouldn't have drafted Buddy when they already had Roughead.

If we can't get Laverde, take whichever big kid slides through, so either McCartin or Wright.

We can top up our midfield through free agency and trading, but it's always difficult to find quality young talls.

Our KP stocks are getting on the older side now. Cloke is 28 next year and Reid will be 26. They are our only KPF types right now and we need 3 years development into the next generation which means taking KP stock now. We can't rely on getting KPF's through FA, that's a lottery.

The other thing to say is that if we have an oversupply of talls, those players will always get a better trade return than a mid of comparable quality because talls aren't that easy to come by. We could quickly bring in a quality mid or pocket player with a trade.

Lever I reckon has a Jeremy Cameron type look about him.

I think you are spot on Ketchup, Wright would be an excellent pick up at 5 but like you mentioned I also reckon Wright is a good fit for Melbourne. Would be surprised if they let him slide.

A lot of players are a good fit for Melbourne.

Lever is a great fit for them IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back