List Mgmt. If GWS Snaffle up Laverde with pick 4 then who do we take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints: McCartin / Petracca
Demons: Petracca + Wright / McCartin + Brayshaw
GWS: Brayshaw / Wright
If they go Laverde we swoop on Brayshaw or Wright

Yeah they only way we'll get Brayshaw is if Saints skip Petracca, Melbourne grab the next KPF, and GWS go for Laverde/Lever (seem most likely options). Similar situation for McCartin/Wright except that Saints would have to take Petracca for it to happen.

Our KP stocks are getting on the older side now. Cloke is 28 next year and Reid will be 26. They are our only KPF types right now and we need 3 years development into the next generation which means taking KP stock now. We can't rely on getting KPF's through FA, that's a lottery.

The other thing to say is that if we have an oversupply of talls, those players will always get a better trade return than a mid of comparable quality because talls aren't that easy to come by. We could quickly bring in a quality mid or pocket player with a trade.

Lever I reckon has a Jeremy Cameron type look about him.

Lever is a backman.

If we can't get Laverde, take whichever big kid slides through, so either McCartin or Wright.

We can top up our midfield through free agency and trading, but it's always difficult to find quality young talls.

Sounds to me like McCartin won't slide. I wouldn't be surprised if Saints pick McCartin, Melbourne take Petracca and Lever, GWS take Laverde and we get the option to take Wright which I hope we don't take. In that scenario I hope we take Pickett.

Last edited:
Lever is a backman.

I realise that but if Reid is to play forward we need a quality KPD to take his place. Lever and Keeffe to me project as prospective KPD for us while Reid plays up forward. As Cloke fades in comes Moore.

Reid and Brown we took at 8 & 10 in 2006 and we need another generation of KP stock now.

I realise that but if Reid is to play forward we need a quality KPD to take his place. Lever and Keeffe to me project as prospective KPD for us while Reid plays up forward. As Cloke fades in comes Moore.

Reid and Brown we took at 8 & 10 in 2006 and we need another generation of KP stock now.

I was more refering to your comparison of Lever to a 'Jeremy Cameron type'.

I agree that we should look to set up our KP stocks this draft, but I think we should be looking beyond the Reid years. At KPD we have Keefe and Frost and maybe Moore, and no real key forward candidates in that generation (unless Moore becomes a KPF, which is 50/50). We need more than that.

To your point above though, we have the likes of Frost and Brown to allow Reid to stay forward.

Wright is a must if available.

I would choose Lever before Laverde.
Possibly Pickett too.

Wright is someone who could do a Grundy and slide right out in the draft order and provide someone a late 1st round gift. I reckon it's way too early to take a ruck when you can get them second round later on when they have developed and you know what you get.

If Lever was still available I'd take him at 5, then Laverde, then Pickett, then Weller before Wright.

Sounds to me like McCartin won't slide. I wouldn't be surprised if Saints pick McCartin, Melbourne take Petracca and Lever, GWS take Laverde and we get the option to take Wright which I hope we don't take. IN that scenario I hope we take Pickett.
Would have thought in that scenario we would take Brayshaw (though it's unlikely if GWS had the choice of Brayshaw and Laverde that they wouldn't take Brayshaw).

Why put money and development into a bloke to just trade in 2 years?
Probably because you don't have a choice these days. It won't be long until players change clubs every contract the way it's going.
Soon draft picks will be useless currency as clubs just trade on players meaning the best clubs keep cherry picking the best players and maintain the rage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get Wright and use him as trade bait over the next 2 years if he's surplus to our needs.

He'll hold his trade value in the short term.

Yes but it can be hard to get these guys to commit to a new home, I just think it's not good for team morale.

Wright is someone who could do a Grundy and slide right out in the draft order and provide someone a late 1st round gift. I reckon it's way too early to take a ruck when you can get them second round later on when they have developed and you know what you get.

If Lever was still available I'd take him at 5, then Laverde, then Pickett, then Weller before Wright.

I would assume that we share similar extensive knowledge of these young men's footy ability!

That doesn't stop any of us throwing our largely uninformed opinion out there.
With that in mind, I'll repeat my guesswork.
Wright, Lever before Laverde.

I was more refering to your comparison of Lever to a 'Jeremy Cameron type'.

I agree that we should look to set up our KP stocks this draft, but I think we should be looking beyond the Reid years. At KPD we have Keefe and Frost and maybe Moore, and no real key forward candidates in that generation (unless Moore becomes a KPF, which is 50/50). We need more than that.

To your point above though, we have the likes of Frost and Brown to allow Reid to stay forward.

Lever looks like Cameron in the way he plays.

On KP stocks, Reid was taken by us as a KPF and after a handful of games was sent by Mick to defence. Moore has been taken by us as a swingman. Lever projects as a pure KPD. Wright projects as a ruck/fwd who I think will become predominantly a ruck.

If we took Lever, he replaces Brown at the very least as a tall rebounding KPD in 3 years or earlier. Any excess tall defenders we can trade out and expect a decent trade return, better than to be expected from a comparable small.

You have to manage the list and bringing in KP players costs too much. This is a succession plan where we bring in talls as replacements as the others wind up. We should look to get outside players like Smith, Ballantyne, Walters etc later on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back