List Mgmt. If GWS Snaffle up Laverde with pick 4 then who do we take?

Remove this Banner Ad

What. Are you serious?

I don't know, I personally think Roughead is overrated, and will continue to be purely on the back of winning a Coleman medal. He's a good player sure, but not even in the same league as Franklin, who has been the best KPF this century, and no one over 21 has a chance of taking that mantle off him. In fact only Cameron and maybe Daniher (can't judge Boyd atm) are the ones who could possibly have better careers at the moment IMO.
Roughead is not overrated. I'd love to have him at the pies.

Arguably the most flexible KPF in the league, excellent mark, and reliable set shot.

Roughead is not overrated. I'd love to have him at the pies.

Arguably the most flexible KPF in the league, excellent mark, and reliable set shot.

I'd take him in a heartbeat at the pies, but then I'd take most KPF's in a heartbeat at the pies because we're so desperate. Just because I think he's overrated it doesn't mean I think he's no good. Christ, I think Ablett is overrated yet I still think he's the best player in the competition... just not by as much as some people.

I'd take him in a heartbeat at the pies, but then I'd take most KPF's in a heartbeat at the pies because we're so desperate. Just because I think he's overrated it doesn't mean I think he's no good. Christ, I think Ablett is overrated yet I still think he's the best player in the competition... just not by as much as some people.
I'd swap Brown Keeffe and Goldsack for Roughead.

Worked well for Watts! :p
Also working a treat for Daniher...

Why is it so hard for people to understand that KPP development in the two's is to benefit the player, not the club? :confused:

Dors anyone know how lever done his knee? Collision injury or just from twisting.

From the highlights ive seen of all the prospective draftees, only petracca looks better.

If he is fully over his acl injury, his testing and running times are up to the mark and it was just an unlucky accident where someone fell over his knee, i wouldnt hesitate at picking him at 5.

Looks a gun

It seems that most posters believe we should get Laverde, it's almost consensus but it's about 50/50 GWS will be strategic with their picks and choose Laverde even if they think he's not the best get at 4, that is if we think Laverde is the best fit for us.

I doubt anyone would waste a pick 4 just to spite another team

KM I have have been reliably informed by someone well placed at the Melbourne FC that they will select
  • McCartin at Pick 2
  • Brayshaw at Pick 3.
They believe that the Saints have locked onto Petracca at pick 1. In this case I see GWS taking Laverde at pick 4 more for strategic reasons as they know he would not slip past the PIES. This would then see us take presumably Wright at pick 5. Personally I'm ok with this as quality talls are hard to come by and feel if Wright can develop his game then we have an excellent forward set up. My only question would be can he play just as a dominant forward type given our ruck depth with Grundy / Witts?

Personally I am excited by having Moore / Wright come in this year as both appear to be high quality.

I've had half a dozen people tell me any variation of McCartin/Wright/Lever are going to go to Melbourne. McCartin is the most dominant of that group so he would of those three be my pick but I'm not seeing any clarity to that.

GWS while there is similarly at four a mix in the messages they seem to most want Lever, maybe but it's unclear whether they do this at 4/6/7. Laverde hasn't been strongly linked to GWS. It's plausible but unclear.

Wright is a chance to get through to pick 5. Wright can play a permanent forward role, no problem. He'd be my long term centre half forward if we recruited him and a plausible as required relief ruckman as something he can also do.

When Moore is up and going you could hypothetically play Wright in the ruck & Moore playing as a ruck / rover.
He is that agile.
Not putting a lot of pressure on Moore, but a few recruiters have said he moves over the ground better than Nic Nat.

Moore is a terrific mover and does have the ground level ability to play through the midfield if we want him to.

McKenzie won't be there at 30 unfortunately. It'd take a miracle for that to happen. With his pedigree, marking ability, size, height and his ridiculous speed over 20metres there's very little chance he'll be there even at #20. Would love to have him though, so much upside.
I see where you're coming from re: McCartin and can't say I know better than you as I definitely don't. I was more making reference to the fact that around these boards I think there's a lot of posters who overvalue size in KPP's. I place more value on the overall package and think that guys like Roughy are proof that you don't have to be 197-200cm to play KPF although it is apparent that kids are getting taller and taller and in future, 193/4cm probably won't cut it anymore.

McKenzie may not be available at 30 but he is being spoken about mostly as a 30-45 guy, as strong as his second half to the season form was. It's just the nature of his game, a big guy who physically dominates guys and a mark and goal guy who at ground level isn't turning you around. He is a genuine chance at 30 if we want him. 80/20 he is there is roughly the speculation re. McKenzie so don't discount him as a possibility.

I agree with you on the key forward theory that you can be 193/194/195cm, height is nice to have but it's a bonus but you still objectively need to be able to play. For me it's a mix of key forward talent - how many tricks you have/are they tricks that will work at the next level. then the other side to the equation is production and is the production trending upward and at what rate as the measure of upside.
If we're talking McKenzie he is relatively one trick but his production and the trend of his production is what you want.
With McCartin the production and trend of production when healthy is there and then he also has the mix of talent as a guy who can not only take a grab but also has terrific ground level ability. Just not great set shot goalkicking.

Stoked to hear Knighta say McKenzie could be there at 30. I was convinced otherwise but I'll admit, I am not the best judge of these things. If we could snatch him up at #30 I'd be very, very happy. It'll all come down to who we get at #5 though. If it's Wright, maybe not. If we get Laverde, them grab him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also working a treat for Daniher...

Why is it so hard for people to understand that KPP development in the two's is to benefit the player, not the club? :confused:

Daniher waited a while for his debut and only played about 7 games in his first year.

Daniher waited a while for his debut and only played about 7 games in his first year.
Was thrown in the deep end This year though. Usually talls like him aren't playing every game till at least year 3.
He looked way out of his depth this year, and he is actually a reasonable build too.

Anyway, wouldn't expect any KPP's we draft this year to be getting regular games for 2-3 years.

Was thrown in the deep end This year though. Usually talls like him aren't playing every game till at least year 3.
He looked way out of his depth this year, and he is actually a reasonable build too.

Anyway, wouldn't expect any KPP's we draft this year to be getting regular games for 2-3 years.

Yeah, but that was after Crameri demanded a trade and Bellchambers was injured. He took his chance though and ran with it and probably developed ahead of schedule but I don't think Moore hill have much of an impact this year. And we don't need him too if Cloke and Reid are our forwards.

I know this may sound ridiculous but Rough may end up being adjudged better than Franklin by the end of his career. Not as flashy but truly flexible and a big team player as well. He's also got a better finals record. He's highly rated by many but goes under the radar a bit so still underrated IMO, he's a gun, an absolute gun.

It does sound ridiculous. Franklin is just as flexible, has a much better finals record and is quite simply much much better.

I love how far ahead of itself this thread is.

We have no indication that either GWS or Collingwood have any interest in Laverde whatsoever, and yet we're discussing what should happen if GWS strategically pick up Laverde ahead of our pick #5.

For all we know, we might be massively into Peter Wright, Jake Lever, Jarrod Pickett, Lachy Weller, Hugh Goddard, Sam Durdin, Paul Ahern or some other bloody random player and we'll be absolutely thrilled that GWS has picked up a player ahead of our pick that we had no interest in.

What's the point of actually discussing strategy when we legitimately know absolutely nothing about either team's intentions? We're better off just discussing the various players that we might be looking at, as we were already doing in the other thread about pick 5.

I love how far ahead of itself this thread is.

We have no indication that either GWS or Collingwood have any interest in Laverde whatsoever, and yet we're discussing what should happen if GWS strategically pick up Laverde ahead of our pick #5.

For all we know, we might be massively into Peter Wright, Jake Lever, Jarrod Pickett, Lachy Weller, Hugh Goddard, Sam Durdin, Paul Ahern or some other bloody random player and we'll be absolutely thrilled that GWS has picked up a player ahead of our pick that we had no interest in.

What's the point of actually discussing strategy when we legitimately know absolutely nothing about either team's intentions? We're better off just discussing the various players that we might be looking at, as we were already doing in the other thread about pick 5.
That's the off-season for you

Agree in part with your comments V.V.:thumbsu:

All the same as you have stated most of us know nothing about the other teams strategy. Equally most of us know nothing about who Dekka, Rendell and Co have prioritised at pick 5.

BF is mostly one massive speculation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back