List Mgmt. If GWS Snaffle up Laverde with pick 4 then who do we take?

Remove this Banner Ad

All the players we are talking about have strengths and weaknesses. If you like them you acknowledge their strengths if you don't you focus on their weaknesses. Everyone is a risk with big reward if they pay off. If GWS take Laverde the we take the best avaliable imo there's no lines at Collingwood that don't need improvement. I would be happy with just about anyone that Hine picks.

Lever looks like the backman we need. Speed, ability and leadership. Looks the complete package. But he could be injury prone.
Wright could be the next Kurt Tippett hopefully with less injuries. But he could be a poor ruck and below average forward in the big league
McCartin looks almost the complete package as a forward. But his diabetes and average kick are big issues.

All the players we are talking about have strengths and weaknesses. If you like them you acknowledge their strengths if you don't you focus on their weaknesses. Everyone is a risk with big reward if they pay off. If GWS take Laverde the we take the best avaliable imo there's no lines at Collingwood that don't need improvement. I would be happy with just about anyone that Hine picks.

Lever looks like the backman we need. Speed, ability and leadership. Looks the complete package. But he could be injury prone.
Wright could be the next Kurt Tippett hopefully with less injuries. But he could be a poor ruck and below average forward in the big league
McCartin looks almost the complete package as a forward. But his diabetes and average kick are big issues.

I thought that the talk is that he was a good kick for goal? If he kicks like cloke, then I'm not sure if I want him as a forward

The more I'm starting to think about it, taking Lever and Moore will sure up our KPP stocks at both ends of the ground going forward very similar to the draft of 2006. Add Scharenberg and we have a set.

There's a plethora of free agent midfielders next season who will no doubt be having a crack at0 namely Dangerfield/Sloane. Freeman will be like a new recruit this season too.

Either way, Hine will net us a beauty.

I heard that McCartin was average at best with Wright being the better kick. Perhaps someone like Nightmare can confirm.

McCartin is a terrific field kick and good finisher from general play but an inconsistent set shot goalkicker.

Wright can kick it from 60m and is excellent both as a set shot goalkicker and field kick.

McCartin is a terrific field kick and good finisher from general play but an inconsistent set shot goalkicker.

Wright can kick it from 60m and is excellent both as a set shot goalkicker and field kick.
If it came down to a choice of Wright or Mcartin, who would you lean towards?

If it came down to a choice of Wright or Mcartin, who would you lean towards?

McCartin for me. He is the more dominant of the two.

Wright despite all the delivery he gets in the front half, while he is 203cm, 102kg he loses more 1v1 contests than he wins. It's just that lack of dominant 1v1 marking ability and ability to clunk those marks v contact that relatively put me off when comparing to McCartin.

Another thing to consider is that a few players like Langford born in December and Wright born in September are 6 to 11 months younger then many players and may have more growth and development to come.

Another thing to consider is that a few players like Langford born in December and Wright born in September are 6 to 11 months younger then many players and may have more growth and development to come.

Often being those few months can help, other times it may not if guys develop earlier. You just have to look at the trend of their improvement and how quickly their numbers are accelerating to determine whether those extra months will help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year was Roughead's first good finals series.
Roughead has a very decent finals record, I'd say. The figures tend to back that up:- http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jarryd_Roughead.html

I think his having a relatively ordinary Grand Final a couple of years ago may have coloured the opinion of some people. For overall value to his team he gives as much as Franklin as far as I'm concerned. The bloke is an absolute superstar.

I
Roughead has a very decent finals record, I'd say. The figures tend to back that up:- http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jarryd_Roughead.html

I think his having a relatively ordinary Grand Final a couple of years ago may have coloured the opinion of some people. For overall value to his team he gives as much as Franklin as far as I'm concerned. The bloke is an absolute superstar.

I think I read that he'd only kicked 22 goals in 12 finals prior to this year and that he had never kicked more than 2. Could be wrong though. Certainly stepped up this year anyway.

I

I think I read that he'd only kicked 22 goals in 12 finals prior to this year and that he had never kicked more than 2. Could be wrong though. Certainly stepped up this year anyway.
You only would have had to click on the link to know that that IS wrong.

He kicked 3 goals in the first final he ever played, the 2007 EF, plus 3 in the 2008 QF, 4 in the 2008 PF and 4 in the 2010 EF. It was really just the 2012 finals series that he struggled, with just the one goal from three games.

He was much better in 2013

McCartin for me. He is the more dominant of the two.

Wright despite all the delivery he gets in the front half, while he is 203cm, 102kg he loses more 1v1 contests than he wins. It's just that lack of dominant 1v1 marking ability and ability to clunk those marks v contact that relatively put me off when comparing to McCartin.
So Wright is Josh Fraser?

Roughhead has been horrible in finals period. Had a good one this year though you'd say he was just ckeaning up

So Wright is Josh Fraser?

I don't recall Fraser weighing 102kg pre-draft.

In saying that I'd have no problem with Wright playing 200 games in the black and white.

Wright is a more powerful, stronger and more damaging Fraser without being the same level accumulator around the ground.

Everyone seems to want Mids and although I'm not doubting that, we do need a big quality defender too!

Good defensive side win GFs and if we don't get Laverde then its Lever for me...it's a no brainer imo. P: Key defender H: 192cm W: 84kg Age: 18

I could see him and Shara calling the shots down back and Moore taking up an attacking role up forward, especially in a year or two. Reidy could then act as a swingman if need be.

Lever would also fill the defensive gap and leadership void left by the loss of Maxy and could also give us additional insurance down back if the likes of Keefey, Frosty or Brown get injured or don't turn out.

If you haven't seen him in action... then check him out here: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-14/draft-prospect-jake-lever

Keep in mind that he didn't play this year cause of an ACL, so there is a slight risk too.

I don't recall Fraser weighing 102kg pre-draft.

In saying that I'd have no problem with Wright playing 200 games in the black and white.

Wright is a more powerful, stronger and more damaging Fraser without being the same level accumulator around the ground.
Wright might weigh more than Josh but Fraser was still decent early in his career. Wright won't be half the player as Fraser though. That's my call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back