If I was list manager I would?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would start being more focused on needs in the early rounds of the draft.

Dumont was best available and while by all reports is playing well in the VFL - he is more of the same; slow, inside mid. Not going to replace Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow, Greenwood, Jacobs any time soon.

I would start being more focused on needs in the early rounds of the draft.

Dumont was best available and while by all reports is playing well in the VFL - he is more of the same; slow, inside mid. Not going to replace Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow, Greenwood, Jacobs any time soon.

I really like the look of Dumont but Jay Kennedy Harris was exactly what we needed.

I knew when i started this thread i would cop a lot of negative feedback about my trading suggestion and thats ok, i still stand by it.

Its interesting everybody has similar thoughts on the type of players we should target but the opinions on how we get them is vastly different.

Key position forward - the names mentioned Cameron, Boyd, Tomlinson we are not going to get by trading picks as GWS don't want picks. Bastinac and fringe players won't get it done, so the question remains how do we do it and which players would you trade?

Outside mids - are easier to trade for but i haven't read many names that excite me. Has anyone got names of players we could target?
We have little currency with which to attack the trade table. We could push for another year with Brown, Daw, Black and Wood in the hope that they develop well, and if they do all well and good. If not we may have missed the boat on a KPF option from GWS/GC. I guess those involved in the industry will be well placed to know the availability of players so it could be a case of cooling our jets on that for another 12 months.

Not sure who we could go after trade wise to fit an outside need. Do we just draft the best available speedster at draft time? Could be the best option and then see what we can snaffle via FA.

Whats peoples thoughts on Jarryn Geary, is he free agent or restricted free agent?
Good player. Unrestricted free agent, but in line for Saints captaincy and the Cats are interested.

We have little currency with which to attack the trade table. We could push for another year with Brown, Daw, Black and Wood in the hope that they develop well, and if they do all well and good. If not we may have missed the boat on a KPF option from GWS/GC. I guess those involved in the industry will be well placed to know the availability of players so it could be a case of cooling our jets on that for another 12 months.

Not sure who we could go after trade wise to fit an outside need. Do we just draft the best available speedster at draft time? Could be the best option and then see what we can snaffle via FA.

We have little currency if we don't have courage thats why i've thrown up the Thompson - Frawley scenario in an attempt to secure one of the GWS talls now. I'm also up for trading any of our inside mids if it improves an area we are deficient in.

I'm not sure we have 12 months to wait, there is too much improvement around us and with Wells, Petrie, Dal, Harvey close to the end, i feel we need to strike now.

Last edited:
I'm not questioning form. Not at all. I question the premise that we are too slow. Which I think is a load of bollocks.

Do you have anything to contribute to the thread?

What you think it is all between the ears and as the list manager he should hire a sports pyschcologist to cover him?

Next to zero depth for pace would be a list management issue.

Taking best available is one thing but Jacobs and Dumont is more of the same.

One thing that I do agree is some of it is between the ears. Our players are lazy.

Greenwood and Wright's contract status and selection status is somewhat different to say Adams and Bastinac who got multiyear deals in May. And they are all playing accordingly.

Do not need a pyschcologist to establish that.

Do you have anything to contribute to the thread?

What you think it is all between the ears and as the list manager he should hire a sports pyschcologist to cover him?

Next to zero depth for pace would be a list management issue.

Taking best available is one thing but Jacobs and Dumont is more of the same.

One thing that I do agree is some of it is between the ears. Our players are lazy.

Greenwood and Wright's contract status and selection status is somewhat different to say Adams and Bastinac who got multiyear deals in May. And they are all playing accordingly.

Do not need a pyschcologist to establish that.
Here ya go buddy.

So play talls that are already contracted for the next 12 months.

And then you are not sure.
It depends what's available at the time and what we have to play with, which is a slightly more realistic approach than playing fantasy football.

Need to delist Tarrant & Curran and have a good think about Grima and Delaney. There is no point carrying 4 KPP's that can't get on the park.

Harper needs to go as he doesn't look even close to getting a game.

Do we need a second ruckman in Currie? Can Brown and Daw be the back ups?

McMahon should retire. Anthony to retire. Wilkins, Warren and McGuinness to go, maybe even Hine.

Chase some leadership through trades and FA. Get someone who might not be the best player, but has fantastic leadership (eg, Nick Maxwell type)

I love Narni, he's my favorite player.....but footy is a hard game and I think you're right. I've never even seen Curran, he's been injured since day 1, so he goes as well.

Assuming we're not paying out Scott, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that the list needs a shakeup. If I was list manager ...

I'd be constrained by how much talent it's possible to take on in one year. You can't make the list better in the short term by ditching 7 adequate depth players and replacing them with 4th rounders and delisted FAs. Find a way to trade into the top half dozen picks, preferably while keeping our own first rounder. Two picks in the top 20 would be the goal. If your 3rd pick is in the second round you have a better shot at "winning" the draft. Most of the list should be on the table for the right deal. Putting aside Swallow (captain), Wells, Boomer, Petrie (all earned the right to be one club players and/or close enough to the end to not have great currency), Dal Santo, and Luke Mac, there should be almost no untouchables. The next tier - Thompson, Ziebell, Cunners, Goldy, etc, would need extraordinary offers to move.

Don't get fixated on prying talent out of GWS; I don't think we have what they need in terms of players. Look at rebuilding clubs that don't have 17 first round picks on their lists already. Brisbane and the Bulldogs are crying out for KPPs, and St Kilda and Carlton would probably benefit from experienced mids.

Focus on drafting for need for a change. Bear in mind though, the last time we had a phase of recruiting for need, the need was good footskills and we ended up with the likes of Sierakowski and BMac (though I haven't given up on him like some).

Honestly can't see mass changes doing more good than a couple of well chosen moves.

It depends what's available at the time and what we have to play with, which is a slightly more realistic approach than playing fantasy football.

That is rather non-committal.

Pace should be targeted via trade or the draft. Not really anything on the FA list in that regard.

Whilst talls would be handy you have indicated a lack of currency at the trade table.

So the most instant reward would be to go after midfield/flanker pace to compliment the team we already have. Plus we also need that depth for impending retirements and to have developed some tank at that time.

Our talls were adequate against Hawthorn, as they were for a prolonged stretch a couple of years ago which really highlights ball control and depth of F50 entries more than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I applaud @Harris10 for putting up a brave suggestion. I don't agree with trading Thommo, but I do agree that your need to give something in order to gain something. My issue is Frawley and Thommo are basically the same player. We need KPF depth and quick midfielders. Too many on here think you can trade a bucket of poo and be rewarded with a bag of diamonds. You must give to get.
So here are my thoughts:

I would take a serious look at Higgins as an unrestricted free agent. He's quick and has good skills. He's not been injured much in the last two years, so maybe his body is finally adjusting to the rigours of AFL footy and he might just need a change of scenery. If we could pick him up for $350-$450k per year. He's 26 and could play Adams role or even line up on the other HBF, allowing Mullett to go to HFF. He's playing two's at the moment, so might have already told the coach he wants out.

Ok - so then we need to give something. Players who I would put up for trade? Anyone except Boomer and Drew and NDS (NDS only because he just joined us.) So then, who on our list has currency on the open market? What type of player do we have too many of? I think we all agree we have too many inside midfielders. Players who's natural instinct is to hunt the footy rather than get open and run/carry the footy. Successfull teams have a mix of both these types.

IF we are to chase a decent draft pick or trade for an established KPF or running mid, then we need to be prepared to give up one or more of the following players and probably a draft pick as well. I would be scouting the hell out of the GWS and GC reserves and throwing money and 3-4 contracts at some of those kids.

Those with real value on the market:
Swallow.
JZ
Cunners
Wells (only if we could package him for a top 15 pick and our second round pick)
*Only one of these players can be traded

Others with much less value on the open market, but could be included are:

Greenwood
Basti,
Gibson
Jacobs
Harper
Hine
Wright
McKenzie
JMac
Tarrant/Grima - if no trade can be found, then they must be delisted as cannot get on the park - it's harsh, but AFL footy is a harsh game.
**Up to three of these players could be traded.

Delistings/retirements (forced or otherwise) at the end of 2014:
Liam Anthony - would trade for a bunch of bananas if it's on offer. They are high in potassium and very healthy. LA is bad for my health.
Curren - Unfortunately he's in the Jesse Smith catagory...might well be a gun, but can never get on the park.
McMahon (only 28, so should try to trade for 3rd round pick instead)
Tarrant - injury prone players don't become less injury prone as they age.
Grima - see Tarrant explanation. This hurts the most as when fit, he's my favorite player.
***Would take anything offered for these players. 3rd round pick or one of those cool soup makers on the advertising channel possibly?

****Spud Firritto was on my list, but I feel he deserves another year based on his form this year and also deserves to be a one club player.

Assuming we're not paying out Scott, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that the list needs a shakeup. If I was list manager ...

I'd be constrained by how much talent it's possible to take on in one year. You can't make the list better in the short term by ditching 7 adequate depth players and replacing them with 4th rounders and delisted FAs. Find a way to trade into the top half dozen picks, preferably while keeping our own first rounder. Two picks in the top 20 would be the goal. If your 3rd pick is in the second round you have a better shot at "winning" the draft. Most of the list should be on the table for the right deal. Putting aside Swallow (captain), Wells, Boomer, Petrie (all earned the right to be one club players and/or close enough to the end to not have great currency), Dal Santo, and Luke Mac, there should be almost no untouchables. The next tier - Thompson, Ziebell, Cunners, Goldy, etc, would need extraordinary offers to move.

Don't get fixated on prying talent out of GWS; I don't think we have what they need in terms of players. Look at rebuilding clubs that don't have 17 first round picks on their lists already. Brisbane and the Bulldogs are crying out for KPPs, and St Kilda and Carlton would probably benefit from experienced mids.

Focus on drafting for need for a change. Bear in mind though, the last time we had a phase of recruiting for need, the need was good footskills and we ended up with the likes of Sierakowski and BMac (though I haven't given up on him like some).

Honestly can't see mass changes doing more good than a couple of well chosen moves.

I agree with parts of this and disagree with some.

However, picks don't help us for the position we are in as we need to strike in the next 2 years or as I've mentioned previously Wells, Harvey, Petrie, Dal and others will be gone or on the way out.

Thompson is exactly the type of player GWS need.

We don't have any KPP that would create enough interest for Brisbane or Dogs to be interested. Maybe Black but i would be against trading him as i'm prepared to wait and see if he can turn his form around.

I agree we have 5 to 6 similar mids that are very similar that i'd be prepared to trade away if it helped a deficiency on our list.

And I agree on drafting for need instead of best available especially with our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I applaud @Harris10 for putting up a brave suggestion. I don't agree with trading Thommo, but I do agree that your need to give something in order to gain something. My issue is Frawley and Thommo are basically the same player. We need KPF depth and quick midfielders. Too many on here think you can trade a bucket of poo and be rewarded with a bag of diamonds. You must give to get.
So here are my thoughts:

I would take a serious look at Higgins as an unrestricted free agent. He's quick and has good skills. He's not been injured much in the last two years, so maybe his body is finally adjusting to the rigours of AFL footy and he might just need a change of scenery. If we could pick him up for $350-$450k per year. He's 26 and could play Adams role or even line up on the other HBF, allowing Mullett to go to HFF. He's playing two's at the moment, so might have already told the coach he wants out.

Ok - so then we need to give something. Players who I would put up for trade? Anyone except Boomer and Drew and NDS (NDS only because he just joined us.) So then, who on our list has currency on the open market? What type of player do we have too many of? I think we all agree we have too many inside midfielders. Players who's natural instinct is to hunt the footy rather than get open and run/carry the footy. Successfull teams have a mix of both these types.

IF we are to chase a decent draft pick or trade for an established KPF or running mid, then we need to be prepared to give up one or more of the following players and probably a draft pick as well. I would be scouting the hell out of the GWS and GC reserves and throwing money and 3-4 contracts at some of those kids.

Swallow.
JZ
Cunners
Wells (only if we could package him for a top 15 pick and our second round pick)

Greenwood
Basti,
Gibson
Jacobs
Harper
Hine
Wright
McKenzie
JMac
Tarrant/Grima - if no trade can be found, then they must be delisted as cannot get on the park - it's harsh, but AFL footy is a harsh game.

Liam Anthony - would trade for a bunch of bananas if it's on offer. They are high in potassium and very healthy. LA is bad for my health.
Curren - Unfortunately he's in the Jesse Smith catagory...might well be a gun, but can never get on the park.
Grima - see Tarrant explanation. This hurts the most as when fit, he's my favorite player.
***Would take anything offered for these players. 3rd round pick or one of those cool soup makers on the advertising channel possibly?

****Spud Firritto was on my list, but I feel he deserves another year based on his form this year and also deserves to be a one club player.

Agree with most of this but just to clarify I think Thompson and Frawley are very similar players with Thompson being slightly better. By getting Frawley as FA we then have the option of trading Thompson for a developing Key forward or a classy outside mid which automatically make our side better without really weakening the backline.

I'd be up for Higgins as well, his ball use is good, opposition coaches have sat on him this year when he plays back because he can cut you up which would help Atley or he could easily replace Adams and be more dangerous.

Sift through the other teams playing lists for guys who were drafted as agile skilled 'receivers' who have been injured (soft tissue) and so haven't really gotten a chance to establish themselves. Go hard at them and take a bit of a flyer on them, as Port did with Polec, albeit he declared he wanted to go home to Adelaide. Someone on the radio suggested Sam Blease was somewhat in that boat, but I haven't seen enough of him to comment. Trade either a McKenzie/Dumont/Ziebell for them and then cross your fingers!!!

Draft the same type with 1st or 2nd round, with the other used on a tall stay-at-home key forward (full forward).

That and delist thoroughly and draft volumes of small forwards & defenders in the rookie draft (all 4 picks if necessary), usually you can find a cheapie in there, a young indigenous small forward, and an older VFL/SANFL/WAFL experienced small defender (Puopolo type).

Not list mngt, but play Tippett/Grima at FB and turn Thompson into a CHB? His full-back-mans-ship has been awful for a lot of this year, play a taller and stronger player back there and free him up to run around more. Man-on-man in marking contests he's been rag-dolled a lot this year.

So here are my thoughts:

Swallow.
JZ
Cunners

Greenwood
Basti,
Gibson
Jacobs
Harper
Hine
Wright
McKenzie
JMac

I don't mind the premise of any of the above BowWow1978 , but I think the reality is there aren't many on your second list that many would want, or be prepared to give up too much for, ie first round pick.
Schwatta for Shagga was a massive deal back in the day, one that at the time I personally hated, but geez that turned out beneficial for both parties. Really appears to me to have to come from Cunners or JZ, but there'd be few prepared to burn down the new facilities if any of those 2 are offered. No Goldy or Daw on your lists?

I don't mind the premise of any of the above BowWow1978 , but I think the reality is there aren't many on your second list that many would want, or be prepared to give up too much for, ie first round pick.
Schwatta for Shagga was a massive deal back in the day, one that at the time I personally hated, but geez that turned out beneficial for both parties. Really appears to me to have to come from Cunners or JZ, but there'd be few prepared to burn down the new facilities if any of those 2 are offered. No Goldy or Daw on your lists?

I hated when Schwass left North but it was the best trade we've ever made. Carey for pick 2 turned out ok as well.

This is what we need again be bold, show some balls and improve our side.

If it puts a few player noses out of joint so be it, it might make them realise they could be next if they don't pull their finger out.

Port fan here, where's brad Mackenzie at. Seems to be in one week out the next, wondering of we could pull a Ben Jacobs on you guys

Yeah I like it, but they, like GCS, will and can be difficult to deal with. They are not gunna make things easy. Plus the bright lights of Aegis seem to flicker every single week, so we mightn't be head of the cue.

If one hits the trade table i can see 10+ clubs getting involved. What may sway them to us though, will be seeing Brown and Daw getting weekly gigs. Theyd see that and think "hello"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back