If Macca resigns you can forget my membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerard Wheatly in the Sun sums the situation up perfectly with these lines :
"You could argue that the players wielding influence at the Bulldogs have little right to do so given track records and achievements.
But players are a limited resource. And the coach is always expendable.
The tribe spoke and another coach was voted off.
Guy McKenna met his end because the players were “off” him. Brenton Sanderson got it in the neck because he didn’t hold the line. McCartney by contrast was too dogmatic and demanding.
Upset the precious players and you’re done. Accept mediocrity and you’re wasting your time.
Next
."

Just can't shake the feeling the board has ****ed this up royally.

Best of luck Dogs.

Well that was Macca's problem from the beginning wasn't it, and that will be the next coaches first question he asks himself. The next coach will be a stand in, no one wants to coach us, not after that parade and knowing you will be doing it on a pittance of what other coaches are earning. Come to the dogs, we have jack all to pay you, you will have jack all of the help other have and you are highly likely to be humiliated and made out as the fall guy....tempting isn't it :cool:
Hinkley, last resort coach, went to a shambles at Port and the rest is history :cool:

Koch isn't coaching the players. How does that work?
The coach is only a small contributing factor, there's been a huge influence from the administration at Port to create a positive culture. Hinkley is just a small part of it.

Hawthorn would never have appointed a person who had no AFL senior coaching experience, hence why they didn't have the issues we have had.

....with a couple of notable exceptions.Ken Judge,Peter Schwab, Clarkson....all first time senior coaches.Not to mention David Parkin,John Kennedy Senior etc etc - Hawthorn being their first senior role.

These days, most coaches being appointed are first time AFL coaches. 14 of the 18 senior coaches for 2014 are coaching their very first AFL side - ie they were untried.

It may "send a message" but it's not going to help if we withhold our memberships. And anyway, I suspect there's a slight chance that the board is already aware that the members aren't entirely happy, so I don't think another message is needed.

The important thing to do now is to stop the haemorrhaging and make sure those who are part of our future all take a deep breath and re-commit to each other. This requires the Chairman, the Board, the CEO and anyone who might be contacted for a public statement (such as assistant coaches) all have a strong, clear and agreed way forward. No more public flip flopping or contradictory statements.

As someone who has seen this a few times before, unfortunately, I hope everyone will stick with the club and continue their memberships.

Is anyone else old enough to remember when Billy Goggin resigned? 1978, IIRC.

The president was under the pump from all sides, reserves coach Don McKenzie took over as the stop gap (eventually held on to the job), we were broke, lots of players had left or were about to leave, including Quinlan, Round, Dempsey, Sandilands, Dennis Collins, Ray Huppatz and others I now struggle to recall.

I honestly think we were more at risk as a club then than we are now.

We will be back. It's the nature of the club.

I just wish it was in our nature to win flags as well...

As someone who has seen this a few times before, unfortunately, I hope everyone will stick with the club and continue their memberships.

Is anyone else old enough to remember when Billy Goggin resigned? 1978, IIRC.

The president was under the pump from all sides, reserves coach Don McKenzie took over as the stop gap (eventually held on to the job), we were broke, lots of players had left or were about to leave, including Quinlan, Round, Dempsey, Sandilands, Dennis Collins, Ray Huppatz and others I now struggle to recall.

I honestly think we were more at risk as a club then than we are now.

We will be back. It's the nature of the club.

I just wish it was in our nature to win flags as well...

Goggin resigned after r1 1978. But all those players left at different times. Round left end of 76 for more opportunity, with Dempsey, Hampshire and young Baker the preferred rucks. Quintana left end of 77, Dempsey at end of 78 to play finals at North, after being coached by Don McKenzie for virtually the whole season. Featherby was one who followed Goggin out if the club, and Sandilands end of 77 as well. Wasn't a harmony problem though, club was almost broke, Quinlan and Collins were sold to keep afloat, although Quinlan wanted to go to Pies but ended up at Lions. Goggin resigned thru frustration with the admin - he and players had done well in 76 to make finals, but financial concerns caused performance dropoff across the list in 77.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He lied to the president, director of football, CEO and coach... Doesn't matter how much of nice bloke he is and how 'burdened' he was by the captaincy.... He Lied!!!

Not to mention the fact that he was sitting on an offer from gws for a few months....

He LIED!!!

Now we all know how Melbourne felt when Scully lied to Jim Stynes... Griff is our Scully - two faced and deceitful. May his career with GWS be as fruitful. Filled with $$$ signs and no respect or success.

Its insulting its true
But if you truly wish to understand the very soul of dumb - listen to our lawyers press conference yesterday, then listen to his press conference the day before - then you will comprehend the very nature of dumb.
I not real happy how he or any of the management have handled the off season but to call him an ambulance chaser is just poor form and ignorant.

The club obviously did everything they could to back the coach until their hand was forced. If they can handle the financial blow of releasing him from contract among other whacks from this off season then theyll have my patience. Got to nail this next appointment though

Firstly he expressed his concerns more than 6 months ago to the club.
Secondly is it only 2 faced when it happens to us. When we spoke to Patton behind Gws's back that's ok

So, is expressing to the club administration your concerns of the coach, the same as informing them that you have an offer from a rival club and that you are considering resigning as captain and abandoning the club?!?
C'mon now...

And your second ' 2 faced' comment is more relevant to the clubs behaviour, not the individual player's.
Griffen's actions where definitely undermining to the coach, destabilising to the team and club and disloyal to the supporters. Interestingly, Leigh Matthews made an interesting comment in the media that courageous, upstanding captains such as Luke Hodge would never have acted the way Griffen has. They would 'fight' to save the club in dire situations such as these... Oh yeah, but that's right, he never wanted the captaincy in the first place, so the manner in which he's behaved is acceptable, right????

So, is expressing to the club administration your concerns of the coach, the same as informing them that you have an offer from a rival club and that you are considering resigning as captain and abandoning the club?!?
C'mon now...
Not sure what you on.
You know as much of the facts as me. Which is little.
Gordon said he lied on the Thursday but changed his tune on the Friday but you and many others still read the Thursday one as gospel.

And your second ' 2 faced' comment is more relevant to the clubs behaviour, not the individual player's.
Griffen's actions where definitely undermining to the coach, destabilising to the team and club and disloyal to the supporters. Interestingly, Leigh Matthews made an interesting comment in the media that courageous, upstanding captains such as Luke Hodge would never have acted the way Griffen has. They would 'fight' to save the club in dire situations such as these... Oh yeah, but that's right, he never wanted the captaincy in the first place, so the manner in which he's behaved is acceptable, right????
So its ok for the club or other individuals to be 2 faced but not our individuals.
The rest you wrote is all your speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back