If the Dee's cut their losses and traded Watts...Watts he worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

davidantonowicz

Debutant
Nov 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Been dropped to the 2's for the first time in 42 games. Mark Neeld obviously isn't overly enamoured with his form and is not going to gift him games anymore.

If the Dees lost patience and decided to go in a different direction, whats he worth on the open market? All 17 clubs would have some level of interest but would be wary of paying too much.

In this draft I would say he is worth between pick 15-20.

Thoughts?

Been dropped to the 2's for the first time in 42 games. Mark Neeld obviously isn't overly enamoured with his form and is not going to gift him games anymore.

If the Dees lost patience and decided to go in a different direction, whats he worth on the open market? All 17 clubs would have some level of interest but would be wary of paying too much.

In this draft I would say he is worth between pick 15-20.

Thoughts?

Definitely needs to be dropped, to set a precedent that his current level of effort won't be accepted.
Clearly sees himself as a good user of the footy, as he is, but skirts packs hoping to be the one who gets a clean possession because he can use it.
Too often is caught waiting for the clean possession that never comes.

He'll be right though, he just needs a few mindset adjustments, and that's what this move is designed to do.
On skill and potential alone he is worth a top 10 pick.
The problem is not with him as such, but how he has been developed and treated by the previous coaching group.
Another club would pounce without hesitation, and with good reason, backing themselves to develop him properly, as we couldn't do with an underfunded NFI dept.
Fortunately things are changing.

Been consistently amongst our best for over a year, and after so much as one bad game, and an omission - after having played 42 games in a row before this, the second longest current streak at Melbourne behind Nathan Jones. the usual hyperbolic crap kicks off again straight away.

To the point where blatant trolling even occurs on the drafts/trading board.

Wow. Just wow.

Yeah, if a player ever has a bad game and isn't picked the next week, clearly he must be traded immediately :rolleyes:

Think the OP has got it right.

So what if Watt's has played 42 consecutive games in a weak team - He was the no1 pick on the basis that he would be a key forward - Hasn't shown these capabilities YET.

Are you familiar with the phrase "Not in a million ****ing years"?

Can't be arsed being tactful here after all the shite that's been spouted around BF on this subject since yesterday evening. Either you're trolling or you're just stupid. And there's no excuse for that kind of stupidity.

I've seen him play quite a few times and no doubt he'll be a good player but not sure he'll ever reach the heights of what you'd expect from a #1 pick.

Went through 100 odd games with Tambling waiting for him to click but aside from a dozen or so awesome games he just never really put it together. Seems almost the same with Watts.

They're both quite similar in the sense that the intensity and drive just didn't seem to be there 100%.

Melbourne supporters need to toughen up as much as Jack Watts needs to. The OP question was reasonable and The Roo is suggesting Round 3 (a Pick in the 40's probably).

I will offer a pick as low around 35 for a tall outside midfielder like Jack Watts becasue he certainly hasn't shown much quality KPP potential.

Melbourne supporters need to toughen up as much as Jack Watts needs to. The OP question was reasonable and The Roo is suggesting Round 3 (a Pick in the 40's probably).

I will offer a pick as low around 35 for a tall outside midfielder like Jack Watts becasue he certainly hasn't shown much quality KPP potential.

Didn't Tambling go for end of 1st round pick. Melbourne will at least get that for Watts.

I would of thought anything other than pick 20 or higher its is probably worth persisting with Watts. 3rd round pick is certainly not going to get it done.

With the right coach, aggression, intensity and work ethic can be taught.
Paul Medhurst has problems with work ethic and Freo and Mick Malthouse managed to turn him into an All Australian at Collingwood.

I would offer Richmond's 1st round pick say around pick 10 and probably something else.
Watts will be a star. He has too much agility and athleticism combined with good skills that will make him a very dangerous forward.

A early second round pick and than an upgrade of picks in Melbournes in draft rounds 3 and 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silly thread:

1. He's 20. Takes big guys some time to develop. There have been exceptions, but he's 20.

2. Dees would not trade him because they'd not realise enough value for what they've invested. Too early to say it's a sunk-cost scenario.

3. Neeld is managing him as he should. Not special favours - just a long term view about what he needs to do to have the sort of impact he needs to have.

Doubt Watts would really fit in with WCE but if we were interested we would probably offer one of Stevens/Smith and our second rounder.

WCE however, due to our depth in talls would not be overly interested, especially since Kennedy and Darling are still young and we have high hopes in Lycett and McInness.

Needs to get out of Melbourne IMO. I don't mean the team but the city. The media scrutiny on him is absurd.

If he's still at this point in 12 month they may sound out offers, but there's no way he's leaving this year. Worth a second round pick atm, but the Dees would be foolish to accept that not knowing if he'll toughen up.

To the Dees supporters losing their shizzle, I dont think the OP is saying trade him, I think its a legit hyperthetical and quite a good one.I would have no idea what offers would come your way, I would think a player trade as opposed to picks would be offered.

His worth is very hard to gauge IMO but would obviously be a first rounder or good to very good player with upside.

Yes, he's only 20, and has a lot of upside, but the question mark over him is attitude/hardness/workrate, and it's less certain that those things will improve with age.

Still, he has too much potential not to have signficant value if traded and even in a strong draft he'd still clearly warrant a first rounder. Where in the first round is the question.

Would love him at the Pies and would trade our first rounder and another early pick that we'd have to trade for if not a player including Dawes.

Would walk into basically all starting 22's Carlton and Ess should go hard for him.

Would love him at the Pies and would trade our first rounder and another early pick that we'd have to trade for if not a player including Dawes.

Would walk into basically all starting 22's Carlton and Ess should go hard for him.

Dawes for Watts, are you kidding??? and I dont even rate Dawes that highly.
I reckon the Dees would actually jump at that.

This thread gets points for humour, everyone is bagging him but have you noticed how they all want him in their team ;)

The kid will be a better player after this season, Neeld wants him to play in a certain way and going back to Casey will help him work on it. I believe that Neeld will be the best thing that could have happened to his career.

Almost forgot to answer the OP, although I'm sure it wasn't a genuine query but rather a trollolololol.

Won't be traded.

Yes, he's only 20, and has a lot of upside, but the question mark over him is attitude/hardness/workrate, and it's less certain that those things will improve with age.

Still, he has too much potential not to have signficant value if traded and even in a strong draft he'd still clearly warrant a first rounder. Where in the first round is the question.

There has been no question mark over his workrate at all, why make things up? Are you trying to make your argument look better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back