If You Were Our Head Recruiter

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey! Wasn't you the guy that agreed that we should trade Fyfe for Riewoldt a few weeks back?
In a heartbeat! ;)

What does rub me the wrong way is, during the McCarthy discussions, GWS posters saying that we need to offer WAY overs (we already offered overs imo) because we are so lacking in this area and we are desperate. I suspect this is what is happening at all the trade tables when we try to get a KPF.
This is why I get a little frustrated when our own poster perpetuate this myth - it fuels the fire and makes it harder for our list managers to negotiate a reasonable deal. We are not desperate for a tall, we have been one of the best teams in the competition the last 4 years! We do have some "positions vacant" in the KPF and KPD areas, but we have some guys coming through the ranks who may fill some spots, and we will continue to try to draft / trade for these guys.

In the meantime we have a great list which WILL be a contender again this year.

In a heartbeat! ;)

This is why I get a little frustrated when our own poster perpetuate this myth - it fuels the fire and makes it harder for our list managers to negotiate a reasonable deal. We are not desperate for a tall, we have been one of the best teams in the competition the last 4 years! We do have some "positions vacant" in the KPF and KPD areas, but we have some guys coming through the ranks who may fill some spots, and we will continue to try to draft / trade for these guys.

Please stop making sense ,it confuses certain posters.

Hey! Wasn't you the guy that agreed that we should trade Fyfe for Riewoldt a few weeks back? :p

Jokes aside, our recruiters have done well to get us to this point where we are arguing about being 1-2 players short. There are a few teams that did much worse than us with much better picks.

What does rub me the wrong way is, during the McCarthy discussions, GWS posters saying that we need to offer WAY overs (we already offered overs imo) because we are so lacking in this area and we are desperate. I suspect this is what is happening at all the trade tables when we try to get a KPF. I understand if no good prospects turn up at our picks, but if that happen a few years in a row we need to start looking at it before it become a huge gap in our list and now it's even harder to trade for one.
To be fair, I think we did try, just that players are not keen to come or teams are plain stupid and refuse a good trade (McCarthy's case).

Four out of their total 5 posters (except Simmofreo) should be put on your ignore list.

Please stop making sense ,it confuses certain posters.
Dudley go and do 50 push up (purpee ah whatever ) now for making sense. Back to recruit KPF if we got sushine on the list our recruit strategy will be a lot different . Might not get ( Collins ,yarran and co) .

I ain't complaining about our recruitment strategy. Although too early to called it a success , our assistant coach of Hale , gruerra and rocky might be the best thing freo had recruited for many year to come. Time to go for Penang rojak now , sorry Salim too far for take away to mandurah.

But if we had of drafted the mostly second rate talls that were on offer to us ,the Blacks,Lee, Shaw etc that incidentally some on here wanted to give up the farm to get and not taken the best available to us which happened to be midfielders and smaller defenders would the list be as strong as it is now.
We would be as badly off as we were when we had Murphy, Campbell and Drum.

The real secret ingredient is better development of our talls, and I think we have improved that area significantly. And an analysis of our list shows the need for 1 decent tall. Not a speculative draft pick, but a player who has already shown ability, and that player has already been clearly identified.

KPB;
Johnson, Dawson 2-3 years. Perfect time to begin grooming replacements, and guess what? We have Uber and Smith coming along plus several players who show promise as either forwards or defenders.

KPF;
The mighty Pavlich 1-10 years. Taberner is no Pavlich replacement and may be a bust, but he is tracking as being a stock standard tall forward. Apeness may be a bust due to injury, but I am not calling that, and more see him as most talls as someone who needs time to get his body right before he can impact.

FLEXI;
A Pearce, Collins and Hurley are already showing as much promise as former first rounders Polak, Murphy and Drum.

Draft picks are massively over-rated though, and the club has shown the correct direction, which is to focus on development of promising talls taken at good value in the draft, and to focus on trading for AFL players who have demonstrated ability.

Exactly.
Sure every team wish they have a Buddy, Cameron, Hogan , Walker, Riewoldt (I don't really rate him but since you do :D) to kick to, but that doesn't mean that you are desperate if you don't have one of them.

I suspect the myth is well and alive, unfortunately. From last year's trade discussions, our mids seems like they are severely undervalued (Weller, drafted at 13, after 1 year of development is a fair trade for 15??!!!) while other team's tall is overly inflated (McCarthy, drafted at 14 two years ago, showing half a good season is suddenly worth more than Barlow + first round?). Of course that is all Bigfooty talk. Any insights on how true this is on the trade table? (did any fly mention anything?)

Last edited:
Footy will still be a running game next season, the rotation cap will have an adjustment period where teams will fall into four categories:
Those who stick with their talls, backing in their athleticism and wins.
Those who drop a tall, inject an extra runner and wins.
Those who drop the tall but their injection of extra run isn't enough to counter their terrible ball skills and lose.
Those who stick with their talls, their opponent avoids the tall contested marking players and run them off their feet, losing in the process.

The early time of the season is the perfect chance for a side with mature runners in their late twenties and crisp ball use to work teams off their feet. The most valuable players will be those elite running talls that can mark the ball - Nick Riewoldt five years ago would have a fieldday.

In a heartbeat! ;)

This is why I get a little frustrated when our own poster perpetuate this myth - it fuels the fire and makes it harder for our list managers to negotiate a reasonable deal. We are not desperate for a tall,

Yes, we are.

Why is that so hard to accept?

Even if Taberner becomes a good AFL-quality forward this year, Pavlich is retiring at the end of the season and we have nobody to replace him yet.

Exactly.
Sure every team wish they have a Buddy, Cameron, Hogan , Walker, Riewoldt (I don't really rate him but since you do :D) to kick to, but that doesn't mean that you are desperate if you don't have one of them.

I suspect the myth is well and alive, unfortunately. From last year's trade discussions, our mids seems like they are severely undervalued (Weller, drafted at 13, after 1 year of development is a fair trade for 15??!!!) while other team's tall is overly inflated (McCarthy, drafted at 14 two years ago, showing half a good season is suddenly worth more than Barlow + first round?). Of course that is all Bigfooty talk. Any insights on how true this is on the trade table? (did any fly mention anything?)
I think this belief that we are desperate is what leads other teams (and some posters) to think we will swap / trade ridiculously over the odds for a quality tall like Cameron. In reality I believe we were prepared to offer over the odds, but not to the extent that some people thought, besides which GWS basically weren't prepared to talk to us at all.

I'm sure the discussion will occur again at the end of this season, so I hope some of our young guys have come on sufficiently to stop the desperation talk a little!

Yes, we are.

Why is that so hard to accept?

Even if Taberner becomes a good AFL-quality forward this year, Pavlich is retiring at the end of the season and we have nobody to replace him yet.
The earth IS flat, why is that so hard for you to accept?

I think this belief that we are desperate is what leads other teams (and some posters) to think we will swap / trade ridiculously over the odds for a quality tall like Cameron. In reality I believe we were prepared to offer over the odds, but not to the extent that some people thought, besides which GWS basically weren't prepared to talk to us at all.

So we're not desperate, but at the same time we're prepared to offer over the odds?

Which is it?

Footy will still be a running game next season, the rotation cap will have an adjustment period where teams will fall into four categories:
Those who stick with their talls, backing in their athleticism and wins.
Those who drop a tall, inject an extra runner and wins.
Those who drop the tall but their injection of extra run isn't enough to counter their terrible ball skills and lose.
Those who stick with their talls, their opponent avoids the tall contested marking players and run them off their feet, losing in the process.

The early time of the season is the perfect chance for a side with mature runners in their late twenties and crisp ball use to work teams off their feet. The most valuable players will be those elite running talls that can mark the ball - Nick Riewoldt five years ago would have a fieldday.

Tabs is closer to a Nick Riewoldt mold anyways

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we're not desperate, but at the same time we're prepared to offer over the odds?

Which is it?

Perfect example of your false dichotomies. There are multiple positions between having a glut of talls and being desperate, and multiple ways to offer over the odds that don't constitute selling the farm.

So easy to sit here and say we should've picked Taylor, Rance, Tarrant before Palmer. Well lol. Palmer was an obvious pick at the time. There's a reason why Palmer went seven and the others went late teens. That's how clubs saw it at the time. Unfortunately Palmer did a knee and/or didn't develop as much as others after his first year.

Hooker was taken in the 50s as a mature ager who'd been overlooked previously. Well done Essendon but seriously he was overlooked in previous drafts and lasted a long time in 2007.

Darling was however a mistake and was obvious even at the time but who knows what Pitt could've been. I remember this board going crazy cos we drafted Fyfe ahead of Aaron Black. Darling obviously is better than Black but in many ways they are similar. Decent 2nd/3rd tall but would struggle as the no.1 target. As for Tom McDonald I could say the same as I did about Hooker, minus the mature age part.

Not to mention a lot of the talls we were crazy about at draft time are no longer on AFL lists and were also taken before the opposition players above. It just shows how hard it is to find quality talls ignoring those who were clear top 5 picks and were as clear as day to anyone.
Hey! Wasn't you the guy that agreed that we should trade Fyfe for Riewoldt a few weeks back? :p

Jokes aside, our recruiters have done well to get us to this point where we are arguing about being 1-2 players short. There are a few teams that did much worse than us with much better picks.

What does rub me the wrong way is, during the McCarthy discussions, GWS posters saying that we need to offer WAY overs (we already offered overs imo) because we are so lacking in this area and we are desperate. I suspect this is what is happening at all the trade tables when we try to get a KPF. I understand if no good prospects turn up at our picks, but if that happen a few years in a row we need to start looking at it before it become a huge gap in our list and now it's even harder to trade for one.
To be fair, I think we did try, just that players are not keen to come or teams are plain stupid and refuse a good trade (McCarthy's case).
So Bondy is a great recruiter ?

Convince Hogan and McCarthy to not sign new contracts and target both of them in 2017.

Ignore both this year, it is too hard to get contracted players.

Talk to other A or b grade WA players, tell them we are interested and will trade for them once out of contact.

I take it back guys, our recruiting is perfect and our list is perfect.
Thank God you've seen the light ydraw - welcome to the fold with the rest of us Kool Aid drinkers :)

It doesn't have to be black and white / right and wrong - there are opinions and views which are all valid (as opinions), but at the end of the day the only ones that count are the ones at the club. I for one trust those guys more than I do myself or any of us one here.

Doesn't mean we can't enjoy a bit of childish bickering though :thumbsu:

So Bondy is a great recruiter ?

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer:
Let's say my son come home from school with his test results. He aced every subject except for English, which he missed the pass mark by a few point. His total is still good enough to be top 4 in class.

Parents of other kids may say he failed, since he did not pass English (important subject). Me? I'll say he is good enough make top 4, despite his English. Definitely a good student.
What I do hope is that he fix up his English, so that he can be top in class this year.

Last edited:

Longer answer:
Let's say my son come home from school with his test results. He aced every subject except for English, which he missed the pass mark by a few point. He's total is still good enough to be top 4 in class.

Parents of other kids may say he failed, since he did not pass English (important subject). Me? I'll say he is good enough make top 4, despite his English. Definitely a good student.
What I do hope is that he fix up his English, so that he can be top in class this year.
You Asians are such over-achievers yoong ;)

I'm happy when my young bloke gets through a term without being expelled.

Longer answer:
Let's say my son come home from school with his test results. He aced every subject except for English, which he missed the pass mark by a few point. He's total is still good enough to be top 4 in class.

Is your son meima ?

Sorry meima I couldn't help myself ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back