Im'a let you finish, but _______ was the best Simpsons episode of all time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't watched the Simpsons in a good 7+ years, but the Simpsons episode I regularly search for with the Fox remote is the episode when Frank Grimes joins the plant and later visits the Simpsons household...I laugh in hysterics watching that ep.

Facepalming myself again. How did I forget "Homer the Great".

Going to do a top 20 over the weekend :p

I think we all need to report back with a top 20 in a couple of days. This is getting ridiculous now. How could we forget 'A Milhouse Divided'?

I think we all need to report back with a top 20 in a couple of days. This is getting ridiculous now. How could we forget 'A Milhouse Divided'?

Reporting back with a top 20? That's a paddlin'.

Like being asked to pick your favorite child. when you have 10,000 of them.

Right back to the original episode - when Homer looks in the window of Ned Flanders car & they are in heaven, all singing along. Then he looks in his car & it is a scene from hell - and Bart says "come on in - you look like you belong".:D:thumbsu: Been hooked for eternity.

"Homer: Twenty of the suckiest minutes of my life.
Flanders: Sucking down the cider, huh?"

I can't believe that nobody, including myself, has mentioned 'Homer at the Bat' yet.

'I thought I told you to TRIM those sideburns!'

DAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I can't believe that nobody, including myself, has mentioned 'Homer at the Bat' yet.

ZoBlitz said:
Shows you the absolute quality of the Simpsons at its best when I'm disappointed you didn't include my favourite episode Marge vs the Monorail. Cape Feare, You Only Move Twice and Homer at the Bat would be up there for me.

Indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shirley you can't expect me to pay attention to everything you post, ZB. :cool:

Only when it comes to the Simpsons...

Reminds me that back in 2004 I made my girlfriend of the time a 20 minute mp3 of Simpsons quotes that I had downloaded and edited from random sites on the net. Listening to it now, it's as funny as I remember it. Should upload it somewhere.

'I thought I told you to TRIM those sideburns!'

When I saw the thread title this episode came straight to mind.

Alright, bring it in close and I'll tell you what I think:

vRkaHyN.png

It was really hard to choose just 20. Mine were:

"The Crepes of Wrath" - Bart is sent to France on an exchange program and ends up staying at a vinyard where he is forced to work and live in poor conditions. This is one of my first memories of the show, from its first season. Bart learns to speak French! Then it's never referenced again! Woo!

"Krusty Gets Busted" - The episode where Sideshow Bob first frames Krusty, setting up all of the episodes in the Sideshow Bob arc, many of which are also in my favourites list. This is also one of the first eps where Bart and Lisa work together to solve some mystery or other.

"Treehouse of Horror" - A kind-of parody of 'The Amityville Horror' and 'Poltergeist'? The introduction of Kang and Kodos? A retelling of The Raven? Forgedaboutdit.

"Stark Raving Dad" - The episode where Michael Jackson performed as a guest voice, but refused to actually sing, which was left up to a sound-alike. This episode is one of the best examples for me of the great way that the show could tell a full and complete story which revolved around the characterisation of the family, rather than the characters being made to revolve around some inane plot. Homer is forced to wear a pink shirt to work, and understandably he is sent to a mental health facility. Classic stuff.

"Flaming Moe's" - This episode was constantly replayed through the 90s, and with good reason. Aerosmith guest starring, Moe portayed as more than a 2 dimensional violent sad-sack, one of my first memories of Lionel Hutz (RIP). Another Classic. "Ooh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!"

"Homer at the Bat" - Major league baseball players star in this episode where Mr Burns hires a bunch of ring-ins so that he can win a million dollar bet. The only player to not suffer an unfortunate accident prior to the big game is Homer's replacement, Darryl Strawberry. The song over the final credits is the finishing touch on this episode.

"Mr. Plow" - Another of those episodes that was repeated ad nauseum during the 90s. A very well put together show, on the other hand. And nicely wrapped up with Homer using his jacket as a prop in the boudoir. It is given it's place int he top 20 if only for the Hungry Hungry Hippos gag, and the guest vocals by Linda Ronstadt.

"Marge vs. the Monorail" - Monorail! Monorail!! MONORAAAAAILL! Monorail! One of those episodes where Phil Hartman plays an unforgetable character, there is a large scale musical number, and the story remains compelling even when watching the replay now.

"Last Exit to Springfield" - This, along with Cape Feare, are probably in my top 2. Homer becomes the union representative for the plant, and ends up getting the 'DENTAL PLAN' back so that Lisa can get the good braces (with Calvin Kline's 'Obsession'... for teeth). An excellent story, well presented, and well paced. Mr Burns' room full of smoking chimps in typewriters is a bit of a series favourite for me.

"Homer's Barbershop Quartet" - Homer retalls the story of his rise to fame in a Beatles-style barbershop quartet with Apu, Skinner and Barney. Excellent guest voice by George Harrison. I am a big fan of these episodes where the story recounts a time earlier in Marge and Homer's relationship. The final rooftop performance was also more stirring than you would care to admit from an animated show.

"Cape Feare" - Up there with Last Exit as my favourites. Sideshow Bob is paroled, threats to Bart, witness relocation, The Thompsons, The Cape Fear references (Terror Lake, lol), the FBI light opera society singing the complete Gilbert and Sullivan, the family singing along to same, The Rakes, Homer offering Bart some brownies and showing him the new chainsaw and hockey mask. Need I go on.

"Homer Goes to College" - My next favourite Conan O'Brien episode next to Marge vs The Monorail. The nerds, the wallet inspector, Homer chasing the squirrel, the pranks, the NNNNEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDS, the synchronised nosebleeds. Again, the best episodes are character driven, rather than having well-established characters dropped into some ludicrous plot.

"Homer and Apu" One of the first episodes to deal with Apu as a complex character. 'Who needs the Kwik E Mart' is one of the better cast songs in The Simpsons. This particular episode is one of the most quotable in my opinion, too. "Are we in India yet?" "No" "Are we in India yet?" "No" "Are we in India yet?" "No" "Are we in India yet?" "No... wait... nnnow we are".

"Lisa on Ice" - Season 5 seems to be my favourite season basedon these last few entries. This is no exception. Homer playing Bart and Lisa off against each other and playing favourites, Lisa being aggressive, the crowd rioting at the end of the episode because the children deciding to be loving siblings again. Milhouse getting hurt somehow.

"Homer Badman" - An episode where the writers having something to say and say it in a very ironic but hilarious way. Homer is accused of sexually harrassing a postgrad student, when in reality he was just peeling the Gummi de Milo from her sweet can. In the end Willie exhonerates Homer, but is himself made the target of an unscrupulous television program. The scene with the infra-red scenes from inside the house are the highlight of this one.

"Homer the Great" - Homer wants to know about the secret society that Lennie and Carl are a part of, but 'It's a secret'. He ends up being able to join and ends up being the 'chosen one' and taking over. Another great musical number, the stone of shame, and repainting a building sky-blue are the highlights for me. This episode and the 'No Homer's club' is one of those that I reference the most in posts on BigFooty as well.

"Bart vs. Australia" - unlike some fo the more outspoken conservative Australians when this episode was released, I thought this was one of the funnier episodes in the entire series, if only because of the purposely misdirected good natured barbs at Australia and its culture. I thought it was an honour for Australia to receive the Simpsons treatment, along with Japan and Brazil. I still wish that Bart got that booting, though. Our Prime Minister Andy needed to act quicker.

"Homerpalooza" - Guest spots by Cypress Hill, Smashing Pumpkins, Peter Frampton and Sonic Youth made this episode for me. This was a the pinnacle of the period of time when it was still 'cool' to feature as a guest on The Simpsons.

"You Only Move Twice" - This one might slot in as my 3rd favourite episode, featuring Homer beinig poached by Hank Scorpio, a super-villain, when Smithers turned them down, annoyed that he couldn't walk down the street without being offered a job. The James Bond stand-in, Bart being put in the remedial class, Scorpio's flame thrower at the end. Anothetr classic.

"Homer's Enemy" - The final out of the 20 is the episode featuring Frank Grimes. This episode was remarkably done for me. It showed how life might be around somebody like Homer from the outside. Poor Grimey was never going to survive this episode. To me this was the episode where Classic Homer starts to turn into 'Jerk-ass Homer'. Could just be me, though.

Unlucky:

"Life on the Fast Lane"
"Bart's Dog Gets an F"
"The War of the Simpsons"
"Krusty Gets Kancelled"
"Homer the Smithers"
"The Boy Who Knew Too Much"
"Hurricane Neddy"
"The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson"
"Bart Gets an Elephant"
"Homer the Heretic"
"Treehouse of Horror III"