Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
Apparently the new TV deal is going to be a big one for the AFL.
If the AFL uses the funds wisely they can pay off debt and invest in the future.
Investments that will provide a return in the future like grassroots or stadia.
I suppose the women's league would be a candidate.
Priority number one - a salary cap for coaches and club expenditure and otherwise retain the status quo.
To allow the funds to simply add to the historical cost spiral would simply be counter productive.

Based on past AFL history under Vlad.

I imagine the AFL executive are planning to use the money on bigger bonuses

Untitled6-300x214.png

Ensure that only 1/3 of the league's teams get FTA exposure every week, further making a mockery of the AFL's "equalisation" policy.

Green-tick-3501.jpg

You can bet which teams Seven will be demanding, too; just look at this year's atrocious Friday night fixturing for a sneak peak.

Dunno how well that would work - i cant remember a time i watched less friday footy than this year

Put a cap on football department spending based on what Collingwood currently spend. That way no club needs to find cuts but it means that with greater club payments smaller clubs will have a chance to catch up and also become more financially stable.

What iss pissing me the **** off is no mention of hd - if i cant at least buy a hd stream off the afl direct i will spew

And none of this bullshit upscaled from a downscaled feed bullshit - all games available in hd - this is not 1990
Was gonna ask the same question. What's going on with the HD business. It's about time the AFL produce HD footy.

What iss pissing me the **** off is no mention of hd - if i cant at least buy a hd stream off the afl direct i will spew

And none of this bullshit upscaled from a downscaled feed bullshit - all games available in hd - this is not 1990

That's something that will need to be fixed up by the government - there are laws about FTA and HD. Apparently they are being produced in HD this year (different to last year), it's just they need to be shown on 7, which is SD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's something that will need to be fixed up by the government - there are laws about FTA and HD. Apparently they are being produced in HD this year (different to last year), it's just they need to be shown on 7, which is SD.

Thats no longer a problem - the whole country is digital now and even if your tv isnt capable of hd - you can still watch a hd channel using a stb

Depending on the jump in the allowed TPP - it could make the Buddy deal either inspired or disastrous.
The Salary Cap will rise in line with the new deal, $1.25 bill up to $2 bill, the ALFPA will insist on that as an absolute minimum, it might rise even more than that on the basis that the AFL will be swimming in extra money and more should go to the players.

Because Buddy's deal was for a fixed amount of $1.1 mill per year from the 2016 season, as a proportion of the cap from 2017 it will about halve. Be like the equivalent of $600k per year in today's terms which for a Buddy is bloody cheap! So IF he stays sound, the signing was an inspired deal.

Just need to now get the stupid and unfair trade ban lifted, the ban was because we recruited Buddy from under the VFLs love child GWS nose! Seems like the ban could end up in court if the VFL don't do the right thing. Apparently silks are wanting to do the case pro bono, they can obviously smell and easy kill!

My only questions is how will FTA games be divided?

Surely having 4-5 Victorian teams dominated the FTA and Friday night games is not good for the long term growth of the league.

What options are there outside of FTA and Foxtel? An Improved live app would be great.

The Salary Cap will rise in line with the new deal, $1.25 bill up to $2 bill, the ALFPA will insist on that as an absolute minimum, it might rise even more than that on the basis that the AFL will be swimming in extra money and more should go to the players.

Because Buddy's deal was for a fixed amount of $1.1 mill per year from the 2016 season, as a proportion of the cap from 2017 it will about halve. Be like the equivalent of $600k per year in today's terms which for a Buddy is bloody cheap! So IF he stays sound, the signing was an inspired deal.

Just need to now get the stupid and unfair trade ban lifted, the ban was because we recruited Buddy from under the VFLs love child GWS nose! Seems like the ban could end up in court if the VFL don't do the right thing. Apparently silks are wanting to do the case pro bono, they can obviously smell and easy kill!

Not sure those maths work.

The $2b is over 6 years - so an average of $333 as opposed to $250 now. The increase won't be double - more likely a third.

I'd envisage the tail end at about $1.25 would be the equivalent of about $800k today.

Ultimately what will decide if the deal is worth it is if Sydney can pinch a flag or 2 in the mean time.

Win two flags and then struggle because you have a 33 year old on big money - it is worth it. Miss grand final success and the deal looks like a massive chain around the neck.

Put a cap on football department spending based on what Collingwood currently spend. That way no club needs to find cuts but it means that with greater club payments smaller clubs will have a chance to catch up and also become more financially stable.
That's the way it should be.

Unfortunately, I bet this is the way it'll go.

Pay a bigger chunk to the smaller clubs so the AFL doesn't need to steal membership revenue from bigger clubs to give to smaller clubs! All clubs should be break even at a minimum thanks to this deal with the wealthier clubs just being more profitable. I am so over the number of clubs struggling to make ends meet while the AFL throws money away.

Money made from the deal will see the 19th and 20th expansion clubs. I expect to see similar handouts that the likes of Gold Coast, GWS, and Sydney have received over the past years.
I wonder what part did the Suns' and GWS' existence play in this.
Certainly, the logic was that the two new clubs would be underwritten in part by the increase in media money.
IMO I don't think that the AFL will rush into two more expansion teams if only because it is more teams that didn't win the premiership.
That's not to say they wont continue with NZ and Tasmania but any new destinations will be existing teams.
In fact, there might be an increase in promotions especially China and India.
Kevin Sheedy might get his wish with an international round.

Pay a bigger chunk to the smaller clubs so the AFL doesn't need to steal membership revenue from bigger clubs to give to smaller clubs! All clubs should be break even at a minimum thanks to this deal with the wealthier clubs just being more profitable. I am so over the number of clubs struggling to make ends meet while the AFL throws money away.
Like all the money to Hawthorn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back