Resource Improving Execution

Remove this Banner Ad

This post was originally published in the '2016 Jumper Ideas' thread, intended to help out Cody with the execution of his designs. I feel it deserves its own thread, and it would be fantastic if people could contribute ITT with their own "small things" that people often overlook.

Cody, mate. Your designs are good but your execution is lacking. If you're going to use El_Scorchos' template, or any template with shading, then you have to do it properly. It's been said before to you. If you don't, it looks downright awful.

Here's some helpful hints. This is common-sense kind of stuff so it shouldn't really need to be taught, but, hey, sometimes not everything is obvious to everyone. It's not just you, by the way, I've noticed this a lot in recent competitions such as FIRA and ANAL. People aren't paying attention to their own designs.

Now, to start, look at your North Melbourne guernsey (left). Notice how the cuffs are lighter than the guernsey that it is touching?
139360_f49be75bef73d67c8753145012ccc252.png
139359_6ab12aac22fb49d20c96c0acf9fc33cb.png

What you should do is change the colour of the cuffs to the exact same colour of the blue next to it. (on the right). That makes it 'fit in' and look more realistic. It's something you should be aware of as a designer. The smaller details, because it makes a huge difference.

Secondly, and this really shouldn't have to be said, because this one is painfully obvious, but the shorts. Look at the shading of the shorts. It's at 100% right now. Turn it down. 20% might look good, you'll have to experiment. See the difference below. What looks better?

139361_138d2fd880f40f763bbdc363ae1b935d.png

Now, for light colours - yellow, white, what-have-you, the transparency of the shading needs to be low. For dark colours, it needs to be very high. Up to 80% or more. Look below. On the left we have a black guernsey, and on the right we have a white one. On both of these guernseys, the transparency of the shading is 85%.

139364_77280c9233ec7e4a65a8ec34e43ee8a0.png

The one on the right looks awful. This is just to illustrate why the transparency on light coloured things should be low and dark coloured things should be high.

For guernseys like Collingwoods, with both black and white, this can create issues. What should transparency the shading be? Well, look below. On the left it's 85%, and it looks bad, because the shading is too obvious on the white stripes. On the right, it's at 15%, and while it doesn't look as bad, the shading is almost invisible on the black.

139366_911daa02d54b36272c66aed22f4359e9.png

So, out of these two, you'd probably use the one on the right. It looks better. There is a more complicated method to make the shading darker over the black and lighter over the white, and then it looks incredible, but I'll save that for another time. Using 15% or 25% will suffice for now.

Finally, is the use of black and white. Consider the fact that the shading layer is black. What happens when you put this layer over a completely black guernsey? Nothing. You won't be able to see it. It's black. It will be like the shading isn't there at all. If you want to have a black guernsey, you need to make it a very dark grey, rather than pure black. Pure black, in RGB, is 0, 0, 0. You should use 25, 25, 25 (as I have above). In regards to white, you can use pure white (255, 255, 255), it doesn't affect the design too much, but using an incredibly light grey (235, 235, 235) looks infinitely better.

These are the sorts of things that good designers pay attention to. These are the sorts of things that are the difference between finishing first and last in a competition. It's that important.

Just to clarify, it's not just the things I've mentioned above. It's the ability to look at your design and notice the small things, and make them look better, using your own problem solving skills. That's what separates the best from the rest.

You should also post the background thing.
Good point, but when it comes to backgrounds of our designs, it's entirely subjective. People have different opinions on what backgrounds look good. While it is generally true that simpler backgrounds look better than busier ones, it is not always true. The selection of a suitable background should be considered on a case-by-case basis. The stuff mentioned in the OP, however, is objective and non-negotiable - things look better when they're more realistic.

I don't mind a multicoloured background, but it can't take away from the actually design. Many of the newer backgrounds are starting to overpower the actual design which puts me off it. Also, there has been an increase of people posting things over jumper or design, like banners. I find this really irritating, because you are basically hiding the main part of the picture with useless stuff over the top. It looks cool and all that, but it just isn't necessary

My old stripy/tiled red-green-white background was made to primarily make it difficult to steal my designs. Then I realised they weren't that good so scrapped the background altogether

I don't mind a multicoloured background, but it can't take away from the actually design. Many of the newer backgrounds are starting to overpower the actual design which puts me off it. Also, there has been an increase of people posting things over jumper or design, like banners. I find this really irritating, because you are basically hiding the main part of the picture with useless stuff over the top. It looks cool and all that, but it just isn't necessary
I get the angle you're coming from but I think it depends. For example, these are two sets of jumpers I made for the 2016 Jumpers Thread. The background/banners are intended to complement the design and enhance the overall presentation. I think they serve that purpose.

nK5gVa7.png

8LFrIzr.png

It doesn't improve the design on the guernsey itself, sure, but it sure improves the whole piece in general. Presentation is an integral aspect of graphic design.

I get the angle you're coming from but I think it depends. For example, these are two sets of jumpers I made for the 2016 Jumpers Thread. The background/banners are intended to complement the design and enhance the overall presentation. I think they serve that purpose.

nK5gVa7.png

8LFrIzr.png

It doesn't improve the design on the guernsey itself, sure, but it sure improves the whole piece in general. Presentation is an integral aspect of graphic design.
I don't see a problem with the above. I was more referring to below, the Geeling banner covers the jumper.

View attachment 142418

The two blue colour scheme was accidental, but I fell in love with it, so decided to keep it. Also added metallic gold as a tertiary colour and dropped the club logo for the cat silhouette.

Geelong clash jumper.

Great OP Stormy, even if it has been seen before. ;) I think people need to realise that there is never any rush to post a design, be it in a workshop thread or in a comp thread (where there is always adequate time to submit an entry). Everyone should treat each design they post as a reflection of the quality of their own work and naturally it will improve over time and with practice.

The main piece of advice i'll give to people who are developing their skills and want to enter competitions, is to start out by copying the more experienced designers.

Look at your finished product, and then look at something by Bacon Warrior or lmach or Stewart2Austin or Dylan. What are they doing that you aren't? What little features have they included that you haven't? Is their polish better than yours? Can you improve yours? How?

If you have any questions at all, either post in the Template development thread, or the Q&A thread, or even PM someone who is experienced in the program you're using. The people on this board are usually really happy to help, especially when someone is trying to develop their skills.

Once you've catching up to the experienced designers, you'll gain a lot more confidence and you'll be able to innovate a bit. We've seen some absolutely stunning competition entries made by just about every program, so it can be done, you just need to figure out how and practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back